+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Frack me

They could have put the lines underground like they have in some countries, bit late now though.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    I think they do want wind turbines, even though they're ugly and chop a lot of birds up.

Meanwhile China is building new coal-fired power stations so it's pretty pointless.
    Yet China spend more that US and EU put together on renewable and have the biggest proportion of electricity generated from renewable of any country.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    They're proposing a wind farm in our village. Just 6 turbines but 6 too many for me. France is 4 times the size of Britain with masses of land unhabbited.
    I will be voting against it at the time but the other 14 councillors just see it as a cash cow so like the 700k investment in a village hall with a capacity of 250 people when there are only 600 year round habitants I'll be on the losing side of this vote as well.
    This is the problem. Not on my doorstep.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    This is the problem. Not on my doorstep.
    To a degree but if there is land not too far away that can fit 15 turbines as apposed to 6 and doesn't have the need to dig up roads and cross a river to lay the 18 km of cable then I could agree.

The maps of the places where the turbines can be constructed are very interesting. They include the flight paths of milatary aircraft the proximity to housing, roads and the likes.
    The land owners are ones who gain most for the installation of the turbines. If there are 10 land owners and the majority agree to the installation it is only the ones who voted for that get the finacial rewards. If one of those land owners is the Mayor and in a meeting the other site which would have a better financial gain for the village was voted down then I don't think that it is right for anyone to influence the decision..
    NIMBY is a word here which is being used to pressurise the people who will have to look at these things and listen to them then it's a bit like saying I'm all right Jack.
    Either way to chase a sum of 6-8k per year for the village and upset a few people as apposed to 18-20k that will upset less people and cause much less distruction in laying of the cables needed by 12 km then I know which makes sense.

As ever we need to have variety in our electricity generation. Maybe we should be looking at a community based idea where folk have the option of cheap solar power installation....get that on most roofs and we're all not so reliant on large scale generation.
    What about localised wind turbines to work in conjunction with the solar power? The technology is coming on leaps and bounds, it just requires political will.

The problem with windpower is not how the turbines look or with 'political will'. It's with the fact that sometimes it isn't very windy. The same principle applies to solar. Renewable power has its place, but until there is an answer to how the country would get thorugh several weeks of still and overcast weather in mid-winter (which is by no means unusual) it isn't the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    The problem with windpower is not how the turbines look or with 'political will'. It's with the fact that sometimes it isn't very windy. The same principle applies to solar. Renewable power has its place, but until there is an answer to how the country would get thorugh several weeks of still and overcast weather in mid-winter (which is by no means unusual) it isn't the answer.
    That's why i stated 'Variety' and making it accessible to all, we have the technology, even smaller amounts of generation will ease the burden on the national grid as a whole.

I know nothing about this, so it may be dumb. But, could every house have a battery store charged by a solar panel with back up from the national grid. How long / could, say, an existing fully charged car battery run a house?

Its just a question??

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    I know nothing about this, so it may be dumb. But, could every house have a battery store charged by a solar panel with back up from the national grid. How long / could, say, an existing fully charged car battery run a house?

Its just a question??
    Certainly an option, as i've said, technology is moving at a rapid pace, particularly regarding battery power, when we've all got electric cars, and that is plugged in when we're home, maybe the charge left can be used when we need it, in the evening, and then charged up when we're sleeping, again, allowing the national grid to easily cope at peak times...

China has just experimenting with smart roads. Its built on solar panels and, among many other things, has the ability to charge electric vehicles as they move over it.

China sells more electric vehicles than the rest of the world put together. Ford has their electric powered transit van factory in China. A guy I know has be transfered over to work on the project.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast