+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Frack me

Yep well put Zouch. Agree with that. I would also argue we need to assist developing countries with cleaner technology. I alluded to the carbon footprint argument myself earlier and do like your idea of buying in services rather than ownership. This would have to be a fair system though.

If 12 years IS the magic number we really need to start getting some of these things into place now. It won't be popular with voters like you say though but politicians need to be bluntly honest about what needs to be done.

I would also argue that we need to ensure that our kids keep being educated about environmental problems, learn ways to solve them and be involved in monitoring the environment so that it is real to them. It will be their baby and they need to know this and the urgency in which things need to be sorted.

It needs to be the new zeitgeist in the world where we step up our efforts to protect the environment without even thinking about it.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 10-10-2018 at 11:33 AM.

This is a good debate and just to add to a couple of points already made.

Iceland does indeed have natural geothermal resources in abundance. So much so that it is able to heat parts of the road system in remote areas. This is usually limited to sloped sections of the roads where accidents have the most risk.

With regard to incentives to encourage people to use renewable energy, this already exists can can be quite lucrative.
    I have solar thermal panels and ground source heating and I have been in regular receipt of RHI (renewable heat incentive) from the Govt for many years which is very generous. This continues in perpetuity long after the capital costs of installing the equipment have been paid off. In fact it will continue with anyone who purchases my house should I wish to sell it.
    I'm surprised the Govt hasn't removed that last benefit because it does seem uneccessary.

I was mindful at the time that I installed my renewable energy that successive Govts might remove the RHI payments so it was a risk but they haven't done so.
    I suspect that because there's so few households with renewables the Govt is still able to afford it

I was expecting the "Haven't you got Grand kids? bit, and yes I have.
    Fracking will be no problem.
    It's still the Nimbys who drive about in big cars, maybe two car families.
    Have more electrical appliances than Jodral Bank.
    Central heating.
    Buy stuff in plastic and styro wrapping.
    And moan about Fracking.
    Just how much of a carbon foot print do you think it takes to
    produce ONE of those monster wind turbines? ( I'm for them by the way.)
    So all of you with grand kids worrying about their future.
    Pack the list in above and I might think you are serious.

What point are you trying to make crashbang?

That you are aware we need to change things for future generations but other people aren't perfect so why should you bother?

I'd imagine the carbon footprint of a wind turbine is magnitudes smaller than the coal other non renewable source. Are you saying that unless something is perfect we shouldn't bother switching?

I don't understand what you're trying to get at.

Well John, I'm Sat in my garden 19c, sun is out 10th October.
    My Grape vine is usually shedding this time of year, but just a slight tinge on the leaves.
    I quite like Global warming.
    Thinking of buying a Hummer to help it along a bit.
    How did I not say not change.
    Post 1.
    Last edited by crashbang; 10-10-2018 at 01:49 PM.

John , What are you doing ?
    You know, your bit .

Lets not make this a competitions guys. We all live different lives so our responses will be different.

Here is a tweet from David Powell at the New Economic Foundation
    here is what we can all do
    Tomorrow:
    1) political: tell your MP etc you only vote for good climate policies
    2) money: move to ethical bank and pension provider & tell old one why
    3) culture: talk about climate to friends & family
    4) consumption: eat less meat

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    The money would be better spent making homes 30% more energy efficient, but, yes, there is a case for small scale solar, which is why I'm looking at it (though, sadly, it may involve cutting down a mature tree to the South East of my house).
    Glad you agree. I'd say do both. Doesnt have to be one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by zouch View Post
    Lets not make this a competitions guys. We all live different lives so our responses will be different.

Here is a tweet from David Powell at the New Economic Foundation
    here is what we can all do
    Tomorrow:
    1) political: tell your MP etc you only vote for good climate policies
    2) money: move to ethical bank and pension provider & tell old one why
    3) culture: talk about climate to friends & family
    4) consumption: eat less meat

Number 4 is a good one.
    Ive been out side today, and at one moment, there was 9 airliners overhead.
    Now I wonder how many are up there?
    Got my telescope out, and not one were using engines powered by windmills or solar panels.
    John 2. calculate how many tons of oxygen does 747 burn times how many flying at one moment times 365 day a year.
    I don't think my pension provider will stop that. or cutting down on a Bacon butty.

Its a fair point about flying Crash. Maybe people should be only allocated so many air miles a year to use for a start. Air craft are big polluters. If you go on flight radar you will see how any aircraft are in the sky all over the world at any one time...

As regards meat. I could happily live without meat but people do need a source of protein etc which meat gives as part of a balanced diet. Could a substitute though put stress on other food sources. There was a suggestion we should all eat insectsas a substitute Plenty of them about and a great source of protein. They already do this in some countries : fried tarantula-ok that aint an insect- the lot. Its only our culture which stops us doing this. Things can be done but it means a change in the way which we live. Maybe governments should reward insect food consumers/ suppliers in some way..

Whatever, the way forward should be reward, reward, reward people who are doing the environmentally correct thing and punish those who aren't. They would soon get the message that to live in tandem with the environment is the best way all round. I know gfire and the likes would call this a fascist policy but tough luck it is for their good as well.

As regards car ownership and 2 car families, yep guilty but in my defence they are small engined cars and mini polluters compared to other vehicles on the road.. The answer of this is of course to provide better more frequent and cheaper public transport and make electric cars cheaper to buy. Car share policies need to be improved as well which some LAS have touched on. Again punish and reward.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 10-10-2018 at 03:32 PM.

Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast