+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Frack me

Yep it is difficult to see human beings changing their ways quickly enough to save the planet be it in 12 or 30 years. Somebody mentioned world war which could be very well a consequence of nations fighting for and over scarce resources. World war in a perverse sense could be a quick but nasty way of saving mankind. Once the dust had settled (probably radio active stuff) the few humans who survived would have the planet to themselves and hopefully start making a better fist of it this time learning from the mistakes of the past. This could very well be our future. We could really do with the equivalent of someone/ something banging our collective heads together as a species to get it all sorted.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 15-10-2018 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Yep it is difficult to see human beings changing their ways quickly enough to save the planet be it in 12 or 30 years. Somebody mentioned world war which could be very well a consequence of nations fighting for and over scarce resources. World war in a perverse sense could be a quick but nasty way of saving mankind. Once the dust had settled (probably radio active stuff) the few humans who survived would have the planet to themselves and hopefully start making a better fist of it this time learning from the mistakes of the past. This could very well be our future. We could really do with the equivalent of someone/ something banging our collective heads together as a species to get it all sorted.
    That's already happening mate, Iraq was all about oil, so is Syria, Iran is next in the firing line

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    Like what he said
    if that is simple enough for you to understand
    Its the way you seem to jump on certain posts and try to fit your head up their @rses, especially when the posts are themed against certain posters.

Not a fan of childish sycophantic posts

Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post
    Doesn't quite work like that, once you've got the momentum adding extra weight doesn't have as big an impact on the fuel economy as you might imagine, this is something I learned converting a campervan. A person who understands the physics explained it to me in more detail, but I can say that not far from doubling the weight of the van probably took the fuel economy from 39mpg to 33mpg.

You ignore the fact that while the EV1 was a first generation experiment (with 270L of boot space as it happens), Toyota deemed it succesful enough to create a NIMH battery powered RAV4... and the only thing that stopped them selling it was getting sued by the oil company that owned the patents to NIMH battery technology. There was a waiting list of disappointed buyers.

Since the majority of trips are local commutes, that's an incredibly huge market you casually dismiss. The rise of the electric car now there is a viable battery that hasn't been patent encumbered demonstrates this.

You've ironically managed to throw a straw man into that paragraph, I doubt electric car advocates are promoting 2 car households. These days car sharing clubs are growing hugely, I'd personally think a far better and probably cost effective solution would be renting a car for long journeys, though this is more accessible in cities where I'd guess many people are within 10 mins walk of a club car. Though batteries can be charged quickly enough (30 mins) and the infrastructure is widespread enough these days that long trips increasingly shouldn't be an issue.
    The issue is with creating the momentum, John. I only have school boy physics, but I do remember F=ma, which shows a linear relationship between mass and the force required to produce acceleration. Unless there is a non linear relationship between force and the energy required to produce the same, the position is clear. I'm not arguing with the notion that electric is efficient, however.

I'd need a decent law library to research the Chevron litigation, but on the face of it, Panasonic used somebody else's technology to make batteries for Toyota. What was Chevron supposed to do? I appreciate that you have bought into the theory that Chevron acquired the patents to suppress the technology, but my understanding is that their subsidiaries position was always that they would supply batteries on a scale that made it profitable for them.

I once read an article on the psychology of conspiracy theories. In a nutshell it suggested that people buy into them because they are more exciting than real life. Neither you nor I can know the truth behind Chevron's motives, but I like to bear that article in mind.

I certainly don't dismiss the fact that many journeys are local commutes. That very fact needs to be addressed if we are to deal with climate change. They are the journeys that are amenable to being ended by public transport, bicycles and walking.

Still no straw man, John. It was a reducto ad absurdum that I used.

Enjoy your holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    He used to work for LBC
    Who or what is LBC and do you have an example of me pouring 'scorn and derision' on animal over his emploment there?

I have no idea what you are talking about and the poster himself appears to be maintaining a (rather dignified) silence on the issue.

But again, you are looking for others to act or coerce you into action rather than using your initiative. I know you don't like me making the point (and Exile seems to like it less), but you acknowledge that you could change and could do it easily, but then don't.

If everyone takes that line, we really are screwed.

You could start with a couple of meat free days a week and discover the delights of lentils, chick peas and flatulence.

Quote Originally Posted by millmoormagic View Post
    That's already happening mate, Iraq was all about oil, so is Syria, Iran is next in the firing line
    Syria is not a major player in oil production terms. That conflict is about geo-politics Russia wants naval and air bases in the Mediterranean and Syria provides them.

If it's resource conflicts that you are after, look ahead to the ones over lithium for all the batteries John wants to build. The Chinese are quietly building a monopoly on it's mining.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    But again, you are looking for others to act or coerce you into action rather than using your initiative. I know you don't like me making the point (and Exile seems to like it less), but you acknowledge that you could change and could do it easily, but then don't.

If everyone takes that line, we really are screwed.

You could start with a couple of meat free days a week and discover the delights of lentils, chick peas and flatulence.

This all sounds a bit greatfire fascist stuff to me Kerr. Even he would be on my side!

Will you be checking at the end of the week?

What's the world coming to ? A sort of environmental fascism? Never knew these Greens had it in em...like it

(Its all a bit mumsyish as well: "Eat yer greens! They are good for ya!")
    Last edited by rolymiller; 15-10-2018 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    Syria is not a major player in oil production terms. That conflict is about geo-politics Russia wants naval and air bases in the Mediterranean and Syria provides them.

If it's resource conflicts that you are after, look ahead to the ones over lithium for all the batteries John wants to build. The Chinese are quietly building a monopoly on it's mining.
    Syria is a major player in terms of the immediate area, Israel included, and lets not forget the major gas pipeline issue also, there may be a clue as to why all this kicked off, of course Russia has a part in it, they're the major ally of the country and as you say it gives them operational strategic footprint.

Ironic that you mention the Lithium, Afghanistan has huge deposits, alongside other metals, i don't suppose the yanks and ourselves went to war there for any other reason, do you?
    Last edited by millmoormagic; 15-10-2018 at 12:10 PM.

This all sounds a bit greatfire fascist stuff to me Kerr. Even he would be on my side!

Will you be checking at the end of the week?

What's the world coming to ? A sort of environmental fascism? Never knew these Greens had it in em...like it

(Its all a bit mumsyish as well: "Eat yer greens! They are good for ya!")
    How is me suggesting that you actually do something instead of wringing your hands, and forecasting the end of world 'fascist'? You are simply obsessed with the word.

It was you who said that you could easily give up meat and live a more austere lifestyle in order to help the fight against climate change. So why won't you?

I'm not sure which is worse, being compared to gf, or being accused of being Kempo as you did a few months ago...
    Last edited by KerrAvon; 15-10-2018 at 01:03 PM.

Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast