+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do the fans need to look at themselves?

Do the fans need to look at themselves?

7 managers in 8 years! All these managers were playing under huge financial restraints which was hard enough but they also had the fans on their backs which made it an almost impossible task. Undoubtedly this transfers itself to the pitch to the point where the players were frightened of playing at home. Who can forget that horrible season when we were relegated when playing at home became a massive disadvantage. That negative atmosphere has got have more impact than dubious team selection and playing players out of position.

I fear for the next manager particularly if it is the likes of Dean Smith who has had the time and patience to build a squad in his own making despite the up and downs. We need to be more realistic in our expectations. After all we are a Championship club with players to match.

We need to get behind the team and new manager, whoever it might be, through thick and thin and for the long term if we are to make Villa the fortress it once was again.

UTV

I nearly wrote "We have to start to question is it us?" at the end of my last post on the "Whatever you think of Steve Bruce thread", Picasso.

I totally agree with everything you have said. I'm struggling to find much enthusiasm for a new manager as I just wonder if this is all going to happen again.

There's nothing wrong with ambition, but it needs to be tempered with a healthy dose of realism. I couldn't perform or make good decisions under the duress that we often put our managers and players through. I wonder if we'd just cut some of our managers a little more slack then ... who knows ...

When we are not behind the team, then the only team we are serving is the opposition.
    Last edited by MissWinnie; 06-10-2018 at 12:13 PM.

Absolutely, tho I would say it isn't just our fans. Every club is so quick to get on the back of their manager. Look at José - one of the best managers in footballing history and player power will see him without a job after this weekend I believe.

I will get behind whichever manager is put in charge as I always do. But I'd love some security and would expect who ever it is to be in charge for at least 3 years.

Unless it's Moyes then he can **** off

Its down to expectation and ambition. We are a big club regardless of what some palace, watford or Fulham fans would say we are former Eurooean cup winners, weve won the lot in our time infact the 5th most successful in the country so fans have a right to have a go, Bruce has had 2 full years in charge and we are no further forward. I think alot of people are suffering from a guilty complex. Ive posted on here about the behaviour of fans but we cannot control this. Being down the game gets you more involved than sitting in your armchair, yes you might get angry switch the tv off a storm upstairs to bed but being there, you are in the mix, you can smell it, feel it and cannot close your eyes and forget it. Most fans have got long and expensive journeys home, miserable journeys and im not knocking any of you for your heartfelt loyalty.
    I would not dream of throwing abuce at Bruce but if im not happy i may boo st the end, i think im entitled, you guys who scream at the tv, just imagine if bruce could hear you, im sure theres more expletives made at home while your beer goes sour.
    I am happy Bruce has gone and i know you should be careful what you wish for but remember, we on here did noy get the manager the sack. The owners made the decision as results count and our have not been anywhere near good enough.
    The preston game was the straw that broke the camels back as it highlighted everything thats wrong with the club and with how weve started. realism has led to frustration. The cabbage was not thrown at bruce but rolled down the touchline advertising board. The decision to remive bruce i believe was already made i think. I actually think us fans are quite tame compared to most, try going to newcastle and just look how the Arsenal fans treated Wenger after yesrs of champions league football.
    Bruce was welcomed into the club with open arms, he was not given pelters for being an ex nose no, like so many before him, the away support lost it with him, that should have been a signal to change things or go just back to basics.

Hes gone, lets welcome the new manager and see where it takes us.

Every fan at every club wants/demands that their team plays to and is run to, its full potential. Our fans are no different.
    Some, at every club, go about it in more extreme ways, and in this age of entitlement and social media, some fans feel that the more extreme that they are, the more important their voices are.
    Down the match, I’ve booed opposing players, teams, fans and managers, but never my own. Now at home, or in the pub with close friends, I may have referred to us as sh1te, our board/manager as words removed and even used the ‘C Bomb’. Never in the worldwide domain. We maybe sh1te, but we’re my sh1te, if you get my gist.

I feel no guilt about SB being sacked. In my opinion he deserved it. With more favourable resources than the other teams in this division, he failed to manage us to our full potential. I’ve never felt malice towards him and do wish him and his family well, as long as it’s far from B6.

Some of the fans reactions to today's game are utterly ridiculous, we don't have a single centre-half available in the first team squad, so really what were they expecting to happen. Villa fans grit your teeth, stop with the knee-jerk reactions and pray we don't get David Moyes!

What reactions are those? I was expecting the tyocial kev mac defeat anywsy

6 of one and half a dozen of the other really. I understand the right to moan as people pay good money to watch the game and club they love. Hovever some are not the brightest and I remember people saying we should get rid of MON so we can get to the next level.
    The problem is when the board are more stupid than the fans and make ultimately ridiculous decisions on the back of fan pressure.
    Unfortunatly it takes a cabbage being thrown by a Neanderthal idiot for the board to act.
    Last edited by bongosdad; 08-10-2018 at 12:58 PM.

Fans can be unreasonable for sure and I've never bought in to the idea that they can eff and blind and insult managers because "they've paid for their ticket". The cabbage was out of order. However, Steve should have had the honesty to look in the mirror and admit he wasn't good enough for the job. Good try no cigar. Whoever's next should be given time but only if he wants to play football the proper way with tempo, shape, players in their right position and above all flair and intelligence. So Sam, Moyes etc - don't bother us thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bongosdad View Post
    6 of one and half a dozen of the other really. I understand the right to moan as people pay good money to watch the game and club they love. Hovever some are not the brightest and I remember people saying we should get rid of MON so we can get to the next level.
    The problem is when the board are more stupid than the fans and make ultimately ridiculous decisions on the back of fan pressure.
    Unfortunatly it takes a cabbage being thrown by a Neanderthal idiot for the board to act.
    Bong - people have the right to moan regardless, and if you think the cabbage incident held any sway then I'm afraid it is you who isn't the brightest. We have been awful this season including the league cup games, last season we dropped far too many points against too many teams where the talent in the squad should have done much better. This is down to Bruce and his one dimensional approach to the game, no changes to tactics or apparent style of play whatever the opposition. It's not unrealistic to expect attacking football and players to be selected in positions they will flourish in, as well as making sure you have enough defensive cover before loaning players out. He had to go and it was a matter of when and not if.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)