+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: QPR Report

Quote Originally Posted by ManxRam View Post
    Wingers yet again ineffective just as they were on Wednesday. Too little end product and influence on games as a collective.

I said a few weeks back that in the opening series of games we needed to maximise our points total based on the opposition. So far we've played 8 of the bottom 9 and have been less than convincing in a lot of those games.

Brentford was possibly the only games this season where it all came together to the point where chances were converted.

Losses at Rotherham, Millwall and Bolton are probably a better marker of what to expect currently.

We are work in progress and I'm certainly not wanting another change in management but I'd be surprised if we are troubling the play off places come May.

The a shining lights for me have been Mount, Tomori and Bogle, the youngest 3 in the side. They are all still learning but show bags of promise and international careers beckon.

I'm pleased Marriott got his start and glad he notched too. He's shown more than Waghorn who's first touch looks awful.

In terms of the other sides Stoke are finding some form, WBA look very strong and as much as it kills me to say it the lads down the road look a well drilled unit (17/4 to win at Boro). They are dropping points but not losing and in my opinion have looked one of the better sides.

A handful of points covers around fif**** teams though I'm fearful of Oct & Nov but would love to be proved wrong.
    We're tough to beat as 7 draws suggest. Karanka's sides usually are. But hard to say one way or the other if we're as good as you suggest. But our record signing whom some of you have mocked as a nobody is displaying some real passing ability and Grabban is doing what he does best, so no complaints from me. The truth will come out in a month after this set of really tough fixtures after the break. Norwich, Leeds and the Blades amongst others.

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    RA Not sure what you mean about Davies return will allow more physical midfield presence
    Yes I know the Blades were hit and miss last season But looks like they have sorted it out My neighbour is a massive Blades fan and he was telling me this morning he went yesterday against Hull and just how poor Martin played It will take a really good Jan transfer to give our team any chance of top ten or a change of tactics
    What I meant was that I think Tomori has all the attributes to play further forward and provide a greater presence in midfield. That way there’s every possibility, imo, of Davies both strengthening the defence and Tomori doing likewise in front of the defence.

I saw both matches against the Blades last season...they slaughtered us at Bramall Lane and we were lucky to share the points at PP.
    They were excellent until January and then imploded, bit like Bristol City who, after thrashing us down there and making much of the early running, promptly disappeared after their lucky point at PP.

West Brom currently seem really strong but there’s such a long way to go. Don’t despair!

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    What I meant was that I think Tomori has all the attributes to play further forward and provide a greater presenc
    e in midfield. That way there’s every possibility, imo, of Davies both strengthening the defence and Tomori doing likewise in front of the defence.

I saw both matches against the Blades last season...they slaughtered us at Bramall Lane and we were lucky to share the points at PP.
    They were excellent until January and then imploded, bit like Bristol City who, after thrashing us down there and making much of the early running, promptly disappeared after their lucky point at PP.

West Brom currently seem really strong but there’s such a long way to go. Don’t despair!
    RA yes agree about Tomori in DM role but doubt the management will He's a good player to good to leave out also Evans should be fit But see will still have the problem of the wide players inconsistency I've just been watching the QPR match back we are so open at times it's unbelievable We really need to get Johnson in a more forward position that's were he can hurt teams Marriott must start he played really well yesterday Think Frank still doesn't know his best team or formation Maybe it's just me being to pessimistic I just want out of this division

The 2 wide men at QPR were less effective than the players they replaced have been. I would be surprised if we don't start the Blades game with Wilson and Bennett in the wide roles, if fit.

Bennett because he has been better at providing good balls in an attacking sense than Jozefzoon and also far better defensively. Lawro possibly does more defensively than Wilson (who is too left footed for my liking and is very easily knocked off the ball) but most of his tackles are fouls and following his recent red and then his tete a tete with Rangel at QPR, his temperament is suspect. Waggy might be an option for the left side as well or play him right with Bennett on the left.

Marriott has given FL the type of selection headache Managers love. Him or Nuge at #9 for the Blades?

At DM BJ has really stamped his claim on that position. He will need to have a stinker, get injured or banned for Hudds or Evans to get a look in.

I'd leave the rest as is.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    The 2 wide men at QPR were less effective than the players they replaced have been. I would be surprised if we don't start the Blades game with Wilson and Bennett in the wide roles, if fit.

Bennett because he has been better at providing good balls in an attacking sense than Jozefzoon and also far better defensively. Lawro possibly does more defensively than Wilson (who is too left footed for my liking and is very easily knocked off the ball) but most of his tackles are fouls and following his recent red and then his tete a tete with Rangel at QPR, his temperament is suspect. Waggy might be an option for the left side as well or play him right with Bennett on the left.

Marriott has given FL the type of selection headache Managers love. Him or Nuge at #9 for the Blades?

At DM BJ has really stamped his claim on that position. He will need to have a stinker, get injured or banned for Hudds or Evans to get a look in.

I'd leave the rest as is.
    Bennett has impressed me more with his defensive duties rather than attacking play, he needs a goal.

Tomori reads the game very well and that can be valuable either at CB or DM, I really like the look of him.

Im hoping the goal helps Marriott, he's a natural finisher and will play a big part.

Wilson, Lawrence and Jozefzoon all need to up their overall contribution.

The seeds are all there they just need to flourish.

C’mon guys...it’s early October...we’re one place outside the play offs, six points off the top, miles away from danger and ahead of eleven (I think) clubs who’ve had more recent experience of the top flight than us.
    True rA, true. However, that shouldn't prevent us, and I am one of the more vociferous amongst us, from pointing out where things fall down and which players aren't safe in the XI due to their performances. I am not worrying as I see this as a transition year in which the style will be set. Those who don't fit it will move on to be replaced by players who hopefully do fit it.

Promotion would be absolutely great but if it isn't to be, then a season of enjoyable football giving us hope for success next season, as opposed to the Clement and Rowett footbore, will be a satisfactory one for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxRam View Post
    Bennett has impressed me more with his defensive duties rather than attacking play, he needs a goal.
    I agree with your "defensive duties" quote. Also he does need a goal. However, two sweet crosses to provide the late winner in separate games and that chasing of the ball, level with our own area to stop it going out for a throw in to us (who else would have done that?) and then a good run down the line, magic pass to Nuge out wide who crossed for, was it Wilson? to put away. Good positive play that led to goals.

What I meant was that I think Tomori has all the attributes to play further forward and provide a greater presence in midfield. That way there’s every possibility, imo, of Davies both strengthening the defence and Tomori doing likewise in front of the defence.

I agree about Tomori playing a different role, he makes too many errors of judgement to be playing CB. But his creative skills will be of more use at CDM or RB.

Thinking back on the season so far, he has contributed to quite a number of the goals we have conceded. We miss Davies' aerial strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    I agree about Tomori playing a different role, he makes too many errors of judgement to be playing CB. But
    his creative skills will be of more use at CDM or RB.

Thinking back on the season so far, he has contributed to quite a number of the goals we have conceded. We miss Davies' aerial strength.
    Ram not sure about Tomari contributing to a number of goals Every goal scored can always be put down to somebody Don't think he's done any more than anybody else Its not like we're shipping goals I think him and Keogh have been our only consistant performers Obviously Davies is a great defender but his passing is poor will that suit Frank's possession game I'm not sure

Davies may well be back at the weekend, after all Tomori is another day

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)