+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Burnley's real problem

Burnley's real problem

We have largely the exact same team as last year.

No one can really claim that D4 and Brady back will change us from S-it to wonderful.

We have the same management team.

What we don't have is the same confidence and spirit.

Last year we would run through brick walls--this year we make token runs and point or glare at others when we are at fault.

We were a champion team; now we are fringe EPL players at best.

And the problem lie at Management's feet.

It's a truism that a Manager only has 5-6 years with a club; after that players have heard it all before and don't respond as they used to.

Yes, there are a few Management exceptions such as Fergie but he survived by constantly adding and changing the team so his words remained fresh.

Burnley need to be freshened up.

Whatever wounds within the team (if any) need to be healed.

So, sadly, SD has run his race IMO.

It is not that he isn't a great man-manager and club Representative--he is.

But we really do need a change--now.

What we are playing not only doesn't guarantee us survival in the Prem; its f-king boring and a bit sad that we have come to this.

If we go down this year or next doesn't matter--we are going down.

So lets get that over with and rebuild.

And lets start at the top.

Mee has gone past his Burnley sell by date, so has Ward and Lennon, Westwood, Wood and Hendrick are nowhere near good enough for the EPL. We are a mess and fast becoming cannon fodder for the other 19 EPL teams.

Player recruitment is a huge problem and for that I blame Dyche. If the Chairman won't back him he should walk. If the likes of Hendrick, Wood and Westwood really are Dyche's first pick, clearly they are bad buys. The first rumblings of real dissent are here and the Board need to either back Dyche in January, or come May we will have dropped a division.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Mee has gone past his Burnley sell by date, so has Ward and Lennon, Westwood, Wood and Hendrick are nowhere near good enough for the EPL. We are a mess and fast becoming cannon fodder for the other 19 EPL teams.

Player recruitment is a huge problem and for that I blame Dyche. If the Chairman won't back him he should walk. If the likes of Hendrick, Wood and Westwood really are Dyche's first pick, clearly they are bad buys. The first rumblings of real dissent are here and the Board need to either back Dyche in January, or come May we will have dropped a division.
    Eddie Howe has shown what can be done with by PL standards mediocre backing.They play entertaining football and I cannot see them being relegated before us.

All well and good to complain and want change, but who would you replace him with who will improve performances and results? We’d be a laughing stock if we at this moment we fired the manager who got us to 7th last year

Quote Originally Posted by HeidyClaret View Post
    All well and good to complain and want change, but who would you replace him with who will improve performances and results? We’d be a laughing stock if we at this moment we fired the manager who got us to 7th last year
    Exactly Heidy.. He's one of the best managers we have ever had at a Burnley,if not the best.. I think it's more about the footballing style that we are playing.. If you have only a garage full of Skodas they are not going to perform like Lamborghinis..

I think Sean Dyche is a reasonably good Manager, yes he has his funny ways in wanting to bring in "Dyche style players", seemingly restricting some players attacking and creative play with asking them to show more emphasis on tracking back, and the seemingly useless late substitutions.

And I really cannot understand how we have persevered with Barnes and Vokes for the last 4 years, Aye Vokes got a good goal yesterday and with a bit of luck could have had another, but he does not do it regular, not even every other game, I like the way Barnes gets in players faces and will not be intimidated, and again he scorers the odd cracker, but both Vokes and Barnes are not out and out goal scorers, maybe once for Vokes when he had his side kick Ings but not any more.

I said a few years ago that Dyche was not backed by the Board and that he would be off, but I was wrong, he seems and honest (much more than Coyle) individual and stayed, again in the summer the Board did not back him for his efforts, and if that would have been any one of us from this Forum we would have been well pissed off.

So apart from my above comments about Dyche having his "funny ways", even yesterday I could not understand how he dropped Vydra to the bench and then brought him on with 4 minutes left I believe he "WAS" the best Manager Burnley could have had, but IMO the Burnley Board have done the damage in at least the last 3 transfer windows to Dyche and BFC, and In my mind has changed Sean Dyche's attitude towards Burnley Football Club however loyal he was before.

If any board would have treated me like they have after all I have achieved for them I'd be straight down Villa Park with my CV.

Quote Originally Posted by Altobelli View Post
    I think Sean Dyche is a reasonably good Manager, yes he has his funny ways in wanting to bring in "Dyche style players", seemingly restricting some players attacking and creative play with asking them to show more emphasis on tracking back, and the seemingly useless late substitutions.

And I really cannot understand how we have persevered with Barnes and Vokes for the last 4 years, Aye Vokes got a good goal yesterday and with a bit of luck could have had another, but he does not do it regular, not even every other game, I like the way Barnes gets in players faces and will not be intimidated, and again he scorers the odd cracker, but both Vokes and Barnes are not out and out goal scorers, maybe once for Vokes when he had his side kick Ings but not any more.

I said a few years ago that Dyche was not backed by the Board and that he would be off, but I was wrong, he seems and honest (much more than Coyle) individual and stayed, again in the summer the Board did not back him for his efforts, and if that would have been any one of us from this Forum we would have been well pissed off.

So apart from my above comments about Dyche having his "funny ways", even yesterday I could not understand how he dropped Vydra to the bench and then brought him on with 4 minutes left I believe he "WAS" the best Manager Burnley could have had, but IMO the Burnley Board have done the damage in at least the last 3 transfer windows to Dyche and BFC, and In my mind has changed Sean Dyche's attitude towards Burnley Football Club however loyal he was before.

If any board would have treated me like they have after all I have achieved for them I'd be straight down Villa Park with my CV.
    It's ok to point the figure at the Board and we all assume that monies haven't been made available for either transfer, wages or both.

But let's not forget that whilst we have done some great business with SD (Kean, Gray) there have been some really horrible buys during Sean's watch.

Wells, Walters, Lennon, Hendrick to mention but four. Wood has done little for quite a while now.

And that's not down to the board, is it?

Our tactics isn't down to the Board.

Our talent spotting (or lack of) isn't down to the Board.

Maybe we lack a manager of long standing that has good contacts in the league and can get good players on loan from the better clubs.

Contacts with players or clubs abroad.

That's not to say Sean isn't doing the best he can but we do not need another manager who has stepped onto the ladder and plying his trade We need a manager with contacts and nous built up over the years.

At this stage a Fat Sam would do very nicely.

If we ever appoint Allardyce has manager, my season ticket hits the bin and I'm done!

Fear not BT, Sam knows what it takes to stay in this division, and one of the essentials is money.
    He will have noted the way Sean has been starved of the readies, and should the call come his answer will surely be 'Thanks for the offer, but it's not for me'. He will be content to wait for the call from a club in trouble that's prepared to back him.
    Last edited by sinkov; 08-10-2018 at 08:20 AM.

edlea: Good day ,and welcome.

Myself, I can not see SD playing to any plan. Let us just generalize:
    Football is a team game ! All players should know the game plan.With good teams players help out their team mates,in this I mean here, they move in a position to where the ball can be played,and in turn others move into a position to recieve the ball again. Maybe not 'ticky tacky' stuff, but working nicely together.
    But at the present time what we are seeing with our team is ,'hoof 'ball or big boot upfield, anywhere! Just get it out of defence. Now lets say I am in midfield ,and I move to receive the ball, from a defender. But what happens the ball could or may be booted 'upfield'. When this situation happens again and again I as a midfielder will not move in a receiving pass position. I will also be out of position in a counter attack! Also if I move ,he simply boots the ball upfield. After time, if no one moves to receive the ball ,the defender has no option but to hoof it upfield! In this type of play ,player's will not understand each other,they can't understand each other ,it has become a guessing game!
    What do some T M fans say?
    ''On Saturday we could not string two passes together, it was torrid, turgid stuff ''
    ''What we don't have is the same confidence and spirit.'' (....Exactly if nobody knows what a fellow team player is going to do!)
    ''I think it's more about the footballing style that we are playing?''
    ''Our tactics isn't down to the Board.''
    ''It's the two absolutely dire performances that have set the alarm bells ringing, I know we got four points from those games, but putting that to one side we have been dreadful,''

Therefore there is no game plan.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)