+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Pack it in, please, Pete

Pack it in, please, Pete

That’s the third game that I have seen where Hartley has fouled an opponent and it has led directly to a goal against us. He really has to pack that in - it’s costing us too many points. He is a “ rugged” defender and there is nothing wrong with that, but you also need to use your brain as well as your brawn and he’s failing to do that too often.

Was it a foul at all? The challenge looked very soft.

It did look soft but there was no reaction from Hartley when it was given, nor to the yellow card which followed, and that makes me think it was a foul. It’s where he is giving these fouls away that is a problem as teams are scoring from them as they are just outside the box.

Maybe if as a team we defended a further 10yards up the pitch then giving away free kicks might have a less effect on our results. The back 3 or 4 are camped along our eigh**** yard line most of the time and any free kicks awarded against us always have the potential to end up in our net

Quote Originally Posted by texaco cup View Post
    Maybe if as a team we defended a further 10yards up the pitch then giving away free kicks might have a less effect on our results. The back 3 or 4 are camped along our eigh**** yard line most of the time and any free kicks awarded against us always have the potential to end up in our net
    I agree that we defend far too deeply but its the midfield to blame. They in turn force the back 3 even further back. But, yes we should make our mistakes a further 10 yards up the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellup4it View Post
    I agree that we defend far too deeply but its the midfield to blame. They in turn force the back 3 even further back. But, yes we should make our mistakes a further 10 yards up the pitch.
    Interesting...I agree the midfield is a shambles but I don't think we have much choice about where we put our defensive line if we insist on using 3-5-2 at the minute.

This is where we really miss the pace of Dunne and Kipre. With three at the back you are always giving the opposition a massive target of space at either side to lob long balls into, it just can't be avoided. And obviously the further up the pitch you are, the bigger the space.

Last season we could still get up the park a bit knowing that either side of Hartley/Aldred we had guys who could get out very quickly to tidy up when the wing-back was caught out - all they had to do was get there first, ideally wallop the ball out the park or at worst be close enough to the oncoming winger/forward to delay the situation. Dunne was virtually unbeatable in a foot race and Kipre no slouch either.

This term though we don't even have that...and while sitting deep isn't ideal, it is always preferable to be organized behind the ball than have your wing-back out the game and your centre back caught in an unwinnable situation of not wanting to sit off but unable to risk going out because they lack the pace.

It means not only are we always under pressure from good teams who outplay us in midfield, even one-dimensional workers like Livi can easily keep us under pressure.

Ultimately it is another screaming loud signal that 3-5-2 is not working...after Robinson's summer transfer plan, his refusal to switch to a back four in recent weeks is a close second for me in the baffling stakes.

[QUOTE=Handsome_Devil;39033953]Interesting...I agree the midfield is a shambles but I don't think we have much choice about where we put our defensive line if we insist on using 3-5-2 at the minute.

This is where we really miss the pace of Dunne and Kipre. With three at the back you are always giving the opposition a massive target of space at either side to lob long balls into, it just can't be avoided. And obviously the further up the pitch you are, the bigger the space.

Last season we could still get up the park a bit knowing that either side of Hartley/Aldred we had guys who could get out very quickly to tidy up when the wing-back was caught out - all they had to do was get there first, ideally wallop the ball out the park or at worst be close enough to the oncoming winger/forward to delay the situation. Dunne was virtually unbeatable in a foot race and Kipre no slouch either.

This term though we don't even have that...and while sitting deep isn't ideal, it is always preferable to be organized behind the ball than have your wing-back out the game and your centre back caught in an unwinnable situation of not wanting to sit off but unable to risk going out because they lack the pace.

Agreed - we can no longer do the 3-5-2 effectively due to various reasons. An immediate rethink during this International break is certainly needed.
    Ain't got no coaching badges, and far from me to tell our Gaffer what needs to happen ... but something has to change.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)