+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Much Does The Result Effect You?

What annoys me is that the fans would all kill to play for their club and would do it for free but the players, so many of them seem to have no passion for the game, loads of them look bored on the pitch, for them it seems to be about other things, mainly money but also fame, nightclubs, fast cars, full sleeve tattoos.

Players all all mercenaries.
    Yes they play in a team but it's really a bunch of individuals coaxed by a Manager into performing for one club at that particular time.
    In reality they are just in it for themselves to earn as good a living as possible and try and get a better move elsewhere.

Can't blame them really. We all do that in our day jobs too don't we?

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    As you get older you realise that it is all cyclical. We may stay up, we may not but we probably wont last that long in this league anyway even if we do stay up this season. I'm at the stage now of going to matches with an open mind and hoping for the best but not being too despondent if we lose. It can still hurt a bit when we lose bur I can probably pick myself up a bit better now and think I can't expect too much of us because we are in the championship after all.

I think when you are young footy is everything but as you get older you realise it isn't and other things are more important. You also develop other interests that take up your time and mind.In saying that, I can see me always being a millers fan and trying to get to matches while ever my legs and my brain cells will take me to them.

Always feel a bit sad my dad never went to NYS because he died before it was built.. The same with my mum really who started with dementia round that time and would not have appreciated it.
    Good post roly,a lot of what you have said applys to me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    What annoys me is that the fans would all kill to play for their club and would do it for free but the players, so many of them seem to have no passion for the game, loads of them look bored on the pitch, for them it seems to be about other things, mainly money but also fame, nightclubs, fast cars, full sleeve tattoos.
    I think that's fair enough in many cases fire but I think it's fair to point out that players have to perform with control and not get caught up with the emotion .

Going back to England and the world cup in the summer , the semi final defeat to Croatia really hurt , took me weeks to shake it off , felt down and deflated , had my expectations raised as we progressed to the semi's and that comes at a price when it doesn't work out .

Then again how the hell can you watch your club or nation without emotion ?

half time against Leyton oriant at Wembley I had tears of sadness

I still won’t watch the highlights in any form if we lose.

Yes same here it just seems to rub salt in to the wounds.

Yes same here it just seems to rub salt in to the wounds.
    I've never seen any tv coverage of the 2000 play off final against Ipswich or the FA cup semi final against Cardiff and I never will .

Those two are my stand out gut wrenching moments , there clearly isn't any need to revisit those two occasions .

The Alan Lee , Richard Wood , Clint Marcelle or Adam Hammill moments of course make up for the pain .

The good times taste sweeter if you have had the gut wrenching moments too I guess .

Yep never watched the Dagenham debacle goals again, Its true what they say, wembers is a great place to win but gutting to lose at. I'm grateful we have won more than we have lost there (3-1). So not too unlucky as a ground for us millers fans so far.

Why didn't Alfie turn up that day will be a mystery to all us Millers fans. (Suppose he got us there to be fair).
    Last edited by rolymiller; 08-10-2018 at 11:10 AM.

Yep never watched the Dagenham debacle goals again, Its true what they say, wembers is a great place to win but gutting to lose at. I'm grateful we have won more than we have lost there (3-1). So not too unlucky as a ground for us millers fans so far.

Why didn't Alfie turn up that day will be a mystery to all us Millers fans. (Suppose he got us there to be fair).
    That was the only time I travelled to Wembley feeling confident that we'd win.
    I still get a sinking feeling when I think of that game/day despite all we've achieved since. So maybe some defeats do live long in the memory. The 0-5 at Chesterfield did hurt at the time, it was the dose of reality needed to show us we still weren't good enough. Incredibly their fans still masturbate over that game.
    The 0-4 at Barnsley the other year didn't quite stick as much as it might have when I was younger. Again, a reality check for a Millers side who at the time were expected to be a comfortable mid table team.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast