+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Much Does The Result Effect You?

How Much Does The Result Effect You?

Just by observing this board and other means of media you can see that a los effects the participation.

I remember years ago when we lost away at Mansfield with a last minute goal. This was the first time my then girlfriend said that she noticed how much that loss had got to me.

Today the results get to me but less than before but I generally don't communicate very well just after a loss and her in doors now asks 'have you lost?' just after the match. It only requires a look for her to go back into the kitchen.

Good question. I'm not sure I have an answer though. Fifty years ago RUFC was the most important thing in my life. Defeats (and there were plenty) were gut wrenching and great victories like the one over Wolves in the FA Cup could set you up for weeks.
    I am no longer that person nor am I a "supporter" in the sense of many on here. I would be found guilty in any show trial. I still hope but I don't believe anymore and I have that ability (which enrages many true believers on MM) to rationalise defeat and say to the wife something like; "We lost; we deserved to lose; there's no frigging ambition in the club anymore. F*ck it!" But my disillusionment is not only (or not even mainly) with RUFC. I'm sick of what football has become, sick of the wages, sick of the Prem, sick of Sky, sick of pundits promoting endless in-game betting, sick of the cynical absurdity of it all. Rant over but you did ask, frog!

Not as much as it would have years ago. I still need a couple of hours of deep thought after a loss but the wife now knows she can talk to me after a loss these days.

I certainly did ask Monte.

Still effects me badly.
    I’m in Ibiza so first miss of season yesterday.
    Sun is shining here but still wasn’t happy last night.
    Sat with some derby fans watching results come in.
    They’re all wanting Ajayi in January.

As you get older you realise that it is all cyclical. We may stay up, we may not but we probably wont last that long in this league anyway even if we do stay up this season. I'm at the stage now of going to matches with an open mind and hoping for the best but not being too despondent if we lose. It can still hurt a bit when we lose bur I can probably pick myself up a bit better now and think I can't expect too much of us because we are in the championship after all.

I think when you are young footy is everything but as you get older you realise it isn't and other things are more important. You also develop other interests that take up your time and mind.In saying that, I can see me always being a millers fan and trying to get to matches while ever my legs and my brain cells will take me to them.

Always feel a bit sad my dad never went to NYS because he died before it was built.. The same with my mum really who started with dementia round that time and would not have appreciated it.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 07-10-2018 at 03:45 PM.

The victories are as sweet as ever , the defeats or draws you should be winning still hurt you just as much .

As you get older you learn to manage it better , especially the disappointments , we are well rehearsed at that after all these years .

3-0 up yesterday early in the second half and I'm still thinking we are capable of throwing it away although the fourth allowed a nice fist pump I'll admit .

In the past it totally ruined my weekend and I wasn't easy to live with , not these days , I keep it inside , it is only a game after all and there are far more important things in life which you realise as you go through life .

I'm that accustomed to us losing games at this level, particularly away, that I almost expect it and it doesn't bother me too much. Maybe the players feel that way too. I hope not.
    Home defeats certainly affect my mood more than away defeats, although the manner of some defeats bothers me more than others, the defeat at Wigan for example. That was a pathetic performance.
    Losing to local teams also really wee wee's me off.

I would say the emotion is stronger when we win than when we lose (especially in this league!) A victory leaves me elated for several days and other things are less likely to get me down. I look for match reports and at the defeated team's message boards searching for positive comments about the Miller's performance. I tell my wife all about it and she's pretty good at pretending to be enthusiastic!

A defeat just leaves me resigned and slightly gloomy for a while and I tend not to look at football media for a while. (Coming on here doesn't help!) To Mrs CT I just say "Don't ask" (as if she would) and that's where we leave it. I put it out of my mind and try to think about more positive things.

I will admit that when we do lose I've actually no interest in seeing any highlights or even reading a report on the game , part of some kind of coping mechanism I guess .

Some of the highs I've experienced following my club as you lads have too will live with me forever .

One thing sticks in my mind and it's happened at some of my club's games too , watching the England v Scotland Euro 96 game in my local , the pub was absolutely heaving with an atmosphere to match .

When Gazza scored THAT GOAL I finished up celebrating with some random bloke outside on the street , I have absolutely no recollection how I ended up there given I was sat on the pool table with a pint in my hand .

Football is mad at times , some things just can't be explained .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast