+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Personal Fitba Firsts

1st Dons Match : Dunfermline v Aberdeen 18/11/89
    1st Dons Away Match: Dunfermline v Aberdeen 18/11/89
    1st Dons Hampden Match: Huns (Orange) Cup Final 27/5/00
    1st Dons European Match: Atletico Madrid 29/11/07
    1st Dons European Away Match: Atletico Madrid 29/11/07
    1st Dons Goal: Hans Gillhouse overhead kick. I thought all Dons goals would be like this. I was wrong.
    1st Match Without Dons: Dunfermline v Somebody (I'm sure my Dad would have dragged me to a Pars game before in a vain attempt to get me to support them).

1st Dons Match : v Partick Thistle 24/9/1977
    1st Dons Away Match: v Celtic SC semi final 16/4/1983
    1st Dons Hampden Match: as above
    1st Dons European Match: RWD Molenbeek 28/9/1977
    1st Dons European Away Match: Hertha Berlin 1/10/2002
    1st Dons Goal: Joe Harper v Partick Thistle 24/9/1977
    1st Match Without Dons: Scotland v Wales 27/3/1985

For the UEFA cup match in 81, me and a mate from ABZ were in Northern Germany on an extended school exchange, and through the late great Chris Anderson, we secured tickets, and travelled down from Kiel on the train. Unfortunately it meant our seats were in amongst HSV fans, but to be fair, they weren't too bad at all. I honestly can't remember bumping iunto any other Dons fans at the match, but it was a wee while ago ....
    For the Super Cup final, I know there were organised trips, as my mates - including donunder from the forum - all went on a ferry, and returned with the famous tale of one of their number getting rata**ed on the beer at the ground, which later turned out to be alkoholfrei!
    Oh happy days ....

Quote Originally Posted by kkong View Post
    This needs sharing - can you upload it somewhere?

I have a copy of the Grampian original for the home game against Bayern in March 1983.

I uploaded a section of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laeBBhDfwfc
    I watched that before, but my ITV Hamburg video isn't as good or revealing (Is Kennedy the experienced that Fergie thinks couldn't handle it?). It's just Moore babbling on the microphone (I've got Gerald Sinstadt bing slighty racist at World Cup '78 too)...

I've also got 65 minutes (good picture quality) of the Ipswich game at Pittodrie and the whole 90 minutes of the Waterschei game also at Pittodrie with I think some moments not shown on the night...I was actually surprised at how poor the Ipswich game was to watch apart from the goals...

I will see about making it available on YouTube...

Quote Originally Posted by hulldon View Post
    For the UEFA cup match in 81, me and a mate from ABZ were in Northern Germany on an extended school exchange, and through the late great Chris Anderson, we secured tickets, and travelled down from Kiel on the train. Unfortunately it meant our seats were in amongst HSV fans, but to be fair, they weren't too bad at all. I honestly can't remember bumping iunto any other Dons fans at the match, but it was a wee while ago ....
    For the Super Cup final, I know there were organised trips, as my mates - including donunder from the forum - all went on a ferry, and returned with the famous tale of one of their number getting rata**ed on the beer at the ground, which later turned out to be alkoholfrei!
    Oh happy days ....
    Ah, the dream school exchange trip to Europe with the Dons playing nearby. Moore suggests that there was around 2,000 Dons supporters there I think (which seemed a lot for the time) but I think it would've been brilliant to be in with the HSV fans too...

I prefer to read independent travel to the early European games like your exchange trip anyway. There's an Aberdeen supporter that claims to have been to every European game bar one where he couldn't get a visa but it was usually with the club charter flight which takes the shine off it for me.

The game was quite near Christmas and played in freezing conditions I think if that jogs any further memories. Does your Hamburg buddy still go to Aberdeen matches or did you lose touch?

Quote Originally Posted by BogBrush1903 View Post
    Is Kennedy the experienced that Fergie thinks couldn't handle it?).
    Cooper... Ferguson expected him to handle it because he "had a good temperament".

Quote Originally Posted by BogBrush1903 View Post
    Ah, the dream school exchange trip to Europe with the Dons playing nearby. Moore suggests that there was around 2,000 Dons supporters there I think (which seemed a lot for the time) but I think it would've been brilliant to be in with the HSV fans too...

I prefer to read independent travel to the early European games like your exchange trip anyway. There's an Aberdeen supporter that claims to have been to every European game bar one where he couldn't get a visa but it was usually with the club charter flight which takes the shine off it for me.

The game was quite near Christmas and played in freezing conditions I think if that jogs any further memories. Does your Hamburg buddy still go to Aberdeen matches or did you lose touch?
    I'm afraid my Hamburg buddy has disappeared off my radar.... haven't been in touch with him since early Uni days, and he wasnlt a big Dandy anyway. It was bloo*y cold, and that winter was a cold one, if I remember rightly. I do remember travelling to and from the match on public transport and some HSV fans wanting to swap colours, but I didn't want to as they were offering some tat... and the barstewards nicked my Dons hat..... I've never liked the Hamburg fans since, and enjoyed a little Schadenfreude when they were finally relegated last year!

I've since been to about 35/40 matches in Germany - I run exchanges as I'm a German teacher and always manage to take in a match - and love the German football experience.... Well worth a visit if you've never been....

1st Dons Match : Dryburgh Cup Final - August, 1971. Aberdeen 2 Celtic 1
    1st Dons Away Match: Raith Rovers, Scottish Cup. January, 1981.
    1st Dons Hampden Match Scottish Cup Final. May, 1982. Aberdeen 4 Rangers 1
    1st Dons European Match: Aberdeen 2 Celta Vigo 0. September, 1971
    1st Dons European Away Match (Top Dons only): Gothenburg
    1st Dons Goal: Dave Robb. Dryburgh Cup Final, 1971
    1st Match Without Dons: Scotland 0 England 2. Hampden Park. May, 1980.

Quote Originally Posted by StandfreeFM View Post
    1st Dons Match : Dunfermline v Aberdeen 18/11/89
    1st Dons Away Match: Dunfermline v Aberdeen 18/11/89
    1st Dons Goal: Hans Gillhouse overhead kick. I thought all Dons goals would be like this. I was wrong.
    Memorable for all the wrong reasons for me! Flattened by the vicious flu bug that was going around that autumn. 2 weeks off work. Gillhaus goal was a bitty good! Miserable hoor of a day.

1st Dons match- St Johnston early 90’s
    1st Dons away - no idea
    1st Hampden 2-1 loss to Hearts mid 90’s
    1st Dons euro match 1-1 Skonto Riga
    1st Away euro match 0-1 Hertha 02
    1st Dons goal dunno but wisna ma 1st game as it was 0-0
    1st non Dons game Scotland v Switzerland at Pittodrie

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast