+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who would you rather have?

Who would you rather have?

If big gob wheeler dealer extraordinaire Mr 'Arry Redknapp says Henry isn't interested in the villa job cos he 'eard it down the market you slaaag - then who would you prefer honestly?

John Terry as number 1 with a director of football

Martinez

Henry

Rui Faria with his Mendes links

Brendan Rodgers

Dean Smith

Forget Redknob, what does he know? The more i know now, i would prefer Dean Smith.

Henry

As glamorous as the Henry & Terry pairing sounds,it looks like it’s not going to happen if we’re to believe today’s reports of Henry preferring to join Monaco
    Whilst JT won me over last season for him to be sole manager would leave me with a few reservations
    Therefore I’m for giving Dean Smith a try, since we’ve been in the championship & come up against his sides I’ve been impressed by his style of football,quick,attacking & organised.He also seems to have an exeptional scouting system which enables him to sell his better players season after season & replace them with unknown gems with little disruption to his team & their style of play.
    Either way imo whoever we appoint should be given 3 seasons of full club & fan support because there is no quick fix to our situation as we’ve already found out
    UTV

Smith.

Not sure why the fascination with Smith. Last time I saw him he had his team stamping on our players , his team twice took the lead and then both times crawled back into a shell like a McLeish run team.

Fair enough mate, we all see different things. He was decent at Walsall and working well with no resources at Brentford. He’s lost all his stars again in the summer, yet still plays with purpose and a plan.
    Yes he has an animal for a CF, but we have one at RB/LB, who is just as bad. They hardly ran into their shells mate, they still controlled the game and tbf, they were unlucky not to win.
    His team of nobodies have owned our superstars for the last 2 years. Just seems to have more of a clue than a man with the most resources in the division has had, and he had Hogan scoring for fun. Which was enough for our man to splash 10 mil on, only to hoof the ball over his head.

Matt Kendrick's view is worth listening to stateside...

HARE
    BY MAT KENDRICK
    07:03, 10 OCT 2018UPDATED08:09, 10 OCT 2018

GREGG EVANS REFLECTS ON ANOTHER GAME ASTON VILLA HAVE FAILED TO WIN AGAINST MILLWALL
    ‘One of our own’ has a nice ring to it when it comes to the Villa Park faithful serenading the manager.

But how serious a contender is Brentford boss and boyhood Aston Villa fan Dean Smith?

Birmingham Live football editor Mat Kendrick looks at Smith’s credentials as Villa step up their search for Steve Bruce’s successor.

The case for Dean Smith
    The fans are torn, the bookies are torn and the pundits are torn, so goodness knows how Nassef Sawiris, Wes Edens and Christian Purslow are feeling as they ponder this pivotal appointment.

Thierry Henry has va-va-voomed his way up and down the ‘Villa next boss odds’ faster than a souped up Renault could ever manage.

READ MORE
    The steps Aston Villa are now taking in their hunt for a new manager
    John Terry has gone from being touted as Villa’s defensive saviour to player coach to outright manager in the time it takes to hang up your boots on Instagram.

Brendan Rodgers has been jumping through hoops to neither rule himself in or out during a spot of Villa managerial hokey cokey.

Then there’s Rui Faria, Roberto Martinez, a series of mystery managers an ITK’s nan spotted browsing in estate agents’ windows in Four Oaks and so on and so forth.

While all this is rumbling on, a very strong contender who ticks many of the boxes Aston Villa need ticking is going about his business in a typically understated way.

0_JS163753607.jpg
    Dean Smith.

Since Bruce got the boot last week Smith has featured among the leading names in the bookmakers’ odds and is known to have admirers within the corridors of Villa Park and Bodymoor Heath.

But is he being given the consideration he deserves?

As the Villa board intensify their hunt for Bruce’s replacement, Smith is certainly a man worth listening to and talking to - and not just because he is a boyhood fan. Let’s deal with this the right way round, Smith’s managerial capabilities trump his claret and blue allegiances.

Of course his ‘one of our own’ status would be an attractive factor and we’ll come to that later.

But first and foremost Smith deserves a crack at a big job like this because he is proving himself to be a very shrewd football manager.

Smith is not a rookie.

What's Happening At Villa?

'Tidy yourselves up'

Injury fear

Ran his socks off

Comedian and cabbage
    This is a boss who at Walsall and now Brentford has made his teams greater than the sum of their parts.

At Griffin Park he has done it at the same Championship level at which Villa are now operating, with a fraction of the resources.

Brentford have punched above their weight under his management, with an aesthetically-pleasing footballing philosophy - float like a butterfly, sting like the Bees.

A primary criticism of Bruce during his near two-year tenure at Villa Park was that Villa lacked a cohesive style.

It is an accusation that cannot be levelled against Smith, who has got the Bees producing some of the best football in the Championship.

All the more impressive is that his achievements have been set against a backdrop of constant reinvention.

The revolving door at Brentford has been similar to that at Villa in recent seasons, albeit for very different reasons.

And the bookies now have Smith as favourite and Terry out to 20/1

Personally I think Dean Smith bares a lot of similarities with Paul Lambert. Done very well at "smaller" clubs with restricted funds but will he be able to take his ethos to villa park?

And talk of Terry being his assistant seems likely - how well would they work together?

My own choice would be Terry as a coach with a decent director of football

To be honest I'm fed up. I didn't agree with the Bruce sacking but the blow was softened with the Henry link. Now we're talking about getting Dean bloody Smith! How exciting! Not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)