+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deadly Doug now is!

Quote Originally Posted by samhubball View Post
    Just when you think the baggies couldn't be more scummy...
    Talking to several mates who are ST holders at VP, they were glad to see the back of him when he went. The difference is Sam, you and a few others on the Villa board probably didn't get the frustration many of the paying supporters felt when watching from your armchairs. He took millions out the club in dividends, bonuses, share options and salary. Guess who owned the catering firm and construction firm who won the tenders for working at Villa Park? Then he named a stand after himself whilst engaging in years of spiteful behaviour against the 81/82 side just because he wasn't at the club for that brief period. I think Steve Gibson at Boro is a far better example of a responsible owner who supports the club and doesn't use it as a cash cow to cream off a fortune.

Not to mention that when we were absolutely skint he tried to take advantage by offering to pay 50k for the 50% sell on clause for ugo, but we said no and got our £4m when he finally saw the light and moved to boro.

I know some will say it is business, that is your choice, but I walked pass his car in the east stand many times and wanted to smash it up because of that 50k offer.

I don't think a "neighbour" having stolen an England International then tries to take advantage of financial crisis by offering a paltry £50k, should have been treated better than many lifelong Albion fans who bought shares in Albion in our darkest hours to then have them taken in one scheme or another by jp, whilst DE watched us for free and also had free hospitality on each and every occasion (and believe me there were lots of those occasions).

Mr Aston villa was on the blose board too, and what Ibob alludes to does not surprise me at all.

I think it’s fair to say that old Doug was a bit of a s h I t but let someone face it he was a character and he did get his karma when Gregory signed Bosko Balaban!

I had the misfortune to deal with Ellis’s grandson who was in the sports trade for many years and he really was a dodgy t w a t.

Quote Originally Posted by stripes39 View Post
    Talking to several mates who are ST holders at VP, they were glad to see the back of him when he went. The difference is Sam, you and a few others on the Villa board probably didn't get the frustration many of the paying supporters felt when watching from your armchairs. He took millions out the club in dividends, bonuses, share options and salary. Guess who owned the catering firm and construction firm who won the tenders for working at Villa Park? Then he named a stand after himself whilst engaging in years of spiteful behaviour against the 81/82 side just because he wasn't at the club for that brief period. I think Steve Gibson at Boro is a far better example of a responsible owner who supports the club and doesn't use it as a cash cow to cream off a fortune.

Don't mention millions in dividends that went out Blood! The knob may come on the board again saying otherwise with a fake letter!

Quote Originally Posted by BaggieBlood View Post
    Not to mention that when we were absolutely skint he tried to take advantage by offering to pay 50k for the 50% sell on clause for ugo, but we said no and got our £4m when he finally saw the light and moved to boro.

I know some will say it is business, that is your choice, but I walked pass his car in the east stand many times and wanted to smash it up because of that 50k offer.

I don't think a "neighbour" having stolen an England International then tries to take advantage of financial crisis by offering a paltry £50k, should have been treated better than many lifelong Albion fans who bought shares in Albion in our darkest hours to then have them taken in one scheme or another by jp, whilst DE watched us for free and also had free hospitality on each and every occasion (and believe me there were lots of those occasions).

Mr Aston villa was on the blose board too, and what Ibob alludes to does not surprise me at all.
    Mr Aston Villa was also Chairman at the Dings for 10 days before they were declared bankrupt and he served on Derby County's board. So served as Chairman at two clubs and on the board at 2 more. When he got booted off of Villa's board look what they won. 5 Years after he returned they were relegated. He was the first Chairman to award himself a salary as soon as it became legal for Chairman to be salaried. £280K a year I read. No wonder he stayed at the vile so long given the millions he took out. It was one long gravy train with him raking it in every which way. There are those that say he saved the club but other accounts dispute this saying it was a bloke called Pat Matthews who led the consortium who put the cash in.

One obituary stated that it really rankled with him about what the club won in his absence and he effectively airbrushed the achievements out such as when it came to the naming of a new stand and he ignored any references to this achievement and named it after himself. People say he didn't run up any debt but when he sold the club in 2006 pocketing £62 Million Randy inherited £25 Million of debt. Really don't get the hero worship this guy is getting as anyone else would've stayed as long were they taking the benefits he took.

Quote Originally Posted by stripes39 View Post
    Mr Aston Villa was also Chairman at the Dings for 10 days before they were declared bankrupt and he served on Derby County's board. So served as Chairman at two clubs and on the board at 2 more. When he got booted off of Villa's board look what they won. 5 Years after he returned they were relegated. He was the first Chairman to award himself a salary as soon as it became legal for Chairman to be salaried. £280K a year I read. No wonder he stayed at the vile so long given the millions he took out. It was one long gravy train with him raking it in every which way. There are those that say he saved the club but other accounts dispute this saying it was a bloke called Pat Matthews who led the consortium who put the cash in.

One obituary stated that it really rankled with him about what the club won in his absence and he effectively airbrushed the achievements out such as when it came to the naming of a new stand and he ignored any references to this achievement and named it after himself. People say he didn't run up any debt but when he sold the club in 2006 pocketing £62 Million Randy inherited £25 Million of debt. Really don't get the hero worship this guy is getting as anyone else would've stayed as long were they taking the benefits he took.
    The bloke was a prize prick , a rich prize prick but nevertheless a prized prick .

I remember switching on Radio WM some years ago, and this bloke was droning on and on.......
    "I almost won WW2 single-handed; got into business and became very very successful; the 1st footballer to ever do a scissor-kick (!); how I made my 1st £Million; advertised my own product on TV; successfully changed the fortunes of Birmingham City when I was asked to join their Board;"........
    bla blah bleeding-blah for a further 5 minutes. It was then I realised this was The Doug Ellis, telling everyone his life-story, and the poor interviewer had only asked him what he was up to these days.
    He used the words "I", "Me", and "Myself" about 100 times. Total egotist.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)