+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Mandy Turner

His real name is Niall,and i remember reading one blog he did for sky.It included his photo,and he looked a young scrawny kid, in his early twentys.

I remember having a few run in with him at times he could be a bit arrogant. He was particularly scathing of those who wanted to get shut of Ronnie Moore I think round the time of the Chezzy 0-5 debacle. Arguably, on hind sight, we shouldn't have. He did post some good stuff but even now I get the feeling he could be lurking on millersmad in some sort of disguise. Perhaps he could be my new pal Monty!

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    I remember having a few run in with him at times he could be a bit arrogant. He was particularly scathing of those who wanted to get shut of Ronnie Moore I think round the time of the Chezzy 0-5 debacle. Arguably, on hind sight, we shouldn't have. He did post some good stuff but even now I get the feeling he could be lurking on millersmad in some sort of disguise. Perhaps he could be my new pal Monty!
    I doubt that roly as I have had a few runs in with Mandy. Btw, I meant the "new pal" thing genuinely. What I like about you is your willingness to see merit in opposing arguments. I have read kerr's stuff for many years and never once remember him conceding a point. This is to be expected: the University of Ohio did research which showed that both liberals and conservatives were unwilling to change their views in the light of contrary evidence. Instead they either ignored or rejected the evidence even where it was overwhelming. It really is very easy to dismiss anything you don't like as you can always find something - ranging from the quality of the academic establishment to the ownership of the newspaper or journal. Very good piece in Saturday's Times by Max Hastings arguing that logic and evidence as a basis for decision making are being replaced by emotion and instinct.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    I doubt that roly as I have had a few runs in with Mandy. Btw, I meant the "new pal" thing genuinely. What I like about you is your willingness to see merit in opposing arguments. I have read kerr's stuff for many years and never once remember him conceding a point. This is to be expected: the University of Ohio did research which showed that both liberals and conservatives were unwilling to change their views in the light of contrary evidence. Instead they either ignored or rejected the evidence even where it was overwhelming. It really is very easy to dismiss anything you don't like as you can always find something - ranging from the quality of the academic establishment to the ownership of the newspaper or journal. Very good piece in Saturday's Times by Max Hastings arguing that logic and evidence as a basis for decision making are being replaced by emotion and instinct.
    I think I'm guilty of knee jerk reactions on a lot of subjects. Some things don't sit right with me and it gets my back up. Our lass and my kids would tell you that but in the cold light of day you have to consider all arguments; there is no right or wrong answer to owt really opinions are all subjective. Who is to say who/ what is right or wrong in the end we can only base our opinions on what we believe to be fair or right and we all have different opinions on what is fair or right.None of us are right/ none of us are wrong. I don't believe anybody on here is downright evil.

Kerr is a bit of an "odd ball" on here and I wonder if it is to do with the nature of his work. In the end he has a"guilty" or "not guilty" mentality to his arguments and the decision has to be accepted ;its the "law of the land" kind of thing, there is nothing in between so it makes him seem to me as being uncaring/ insensitive/ lacks empathy and sympathy, cold almost. Its a sort of if you have a crap life go out and do summat about it but he doesn't recognise that is not always easy to do. To be fair maybe he isn't like that at all. Posters like GM on here flaunt their toryness but I can tolerate him better because he has a warmth to him which Kerr appears to lack. There is stuff kerr says I do agree with but I get the impression you have to totally agree with him to be accepted by him.

In the end, even if i disagree with people, I tend to judge them on the "heart in the right place" principle. I would say 90% of humans come into that.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 15-10-2018 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    I think I'm guilty of knee jerk reactions on a lot of subjects. Some things don't sit right with me and it gets my back up. Our lass and my kids would tell you that but in the cold light of day you have to consider all arguments; there is no right or wrong answer to owt really opinions are all subjective. Who is to say who/ what is right or wrong in the end we can only base our opinions on what we believe to be fair or right and we all have different opinions on what is fair or right.None of us are right/ none of us are wrong. I don't believe anybody on here is downright evil.

Kerr is a bit of an "odd ball" on here and I wonder if it is to do with the nature of his work. In the end he has a"guilty" or "not guilty" mentality to his arguments and the decision has to be accepted ;its the "law of the land" kind of thing, there is nothing in between so it makes him seem to me as being uncaring/ insensitive/ lacks empathy and sympathy, cold almost. Its a sort of if you have a crap life go out and do summat about it but he doesn't recognise that is not always easy to do. To be fair maybe he isn't like that at all. Posters like GM on here flaunt their toryness but I can tolerate him better because he has a warmth to him which Kerr appears to lack. There is stuff kerr says I do agree with but I get the impression you have to totally agree with him to be accepted by him.
    You didn't say any of this stuff when you described me as one of your favourite posters when I was debating with the likes of Ellis D and Jolly/Grist/naked truth for you.

It all seemed to change for you when the penny dropped that I don't buy into the current Labour Party.

I believe what I believe and sometimes even post it. If people are polite to me I'll be polite back. If people are rude to me, they will get slightly less polite treatment but I will rarely be rude. I was genuinely annoyed with myself for letting MMM know what I think about him the other day, but he is, I fear beyond redemption.

Mandy was one of my favourite posters - funny, clever and not willing to tug his forelock to the clique who ran the site. I have met him but wouldn't say that I know him

As I remember, maybe I didn't put this across very well at the time, I was trying to use your commendable anti racist comments to EllisD(whatever happened to him by the way?) to try to marginalise him. It was a sort of "why can't you be like my pal Kerr who says racism is wrong".Maybe saying you were my best buddy was over egging it a bit. Also, to be fair to me, I didn't really know much about you then and the early stuff I read I could agree with a lot of it. I sort of used you I suppose as a good example to follow for Ellis. Bit naughty I suppose. I hope that sort of made sense. Maybe best buddy was a bit over the top.

As regards the labour party, my early views of your opinions made me think you might be some kind of lefty eg your anti racist comments. Then again you can be moderately right wing and not be racist.I thought we might have a lot in common. I'm sure we still do in reality.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 15-10-2018 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post

I believe what I believe and sometimes even post it. If people are polite to me I'll be polite back. If people are rude to me, they will get slightly less polite treatment but I will rarely be rude. I was genuinely annoyed with myself for letting MMM know what I think about him the other day, but he is, I fear beyond redemption.
    Wow, beyond redemption eh, now, you are quite fond of the search facility on here, would you be so kind to use it to post exactly where and when i've ever been impolite or rude??? I have asked this before but funnily enough went quiet for a bit, so, please have a look would you, wouldn't want a thick bloke like me getting the better of you again would you...

When I think of Kerr I think of Mr Collins' observation in Pride and Prejudice; "She is all affability and condescension." Personally I prefer a bit of good down to earth insult and rudeness to a sneering smug superiority but others will disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    Personally I prefer a bit of good down to earth insult and rudeness .
    I think we can provide you with that on here Monts.

Not supporting Corbyn doesn't make him a Tory, that's just childishness.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast