+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Five years, gone backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Norder View Post

a Watford Fan....commenting on S.D's move to Burnley - back in 2012.

"Get ready to be bored senseless burnley fans! I had a season ticket at Watford last year and the football we played was some of the worst I've seen at the vic!"

but still - many were sad to see him go...he'd got them winning - lifted them up the table...and they appreciated what he'd achieved with a weak squad and small budget.

then - there was a jont statement from Banaszkiewicz and Garlick - in which they said....his attributes were complemented by "a Fantastic ability to maximize resources" - and weren't they chuffed - it worked.
    so what if....the idea back then - are still the same ideas today....achieve maximum return from minimum input - then where do we go from here ?....as if to compete requires a shift in commitment, then some big changes need to be made....and not just in the board and team - but with S.D - as if he fails to prove his ability in a different, more sophisticated level of the game....there'll be no excuse.

Interesting reading Norder.

You would have to say that history is repeating itself.

There are horses for courses and its hard to get past a situation where, for a while, the horse suits the course.

But horses have to learn to win on a number of different courses and they need to adopt different race tactics to be successful unless you are a Usain Bolt horse.

I suspect that SD is a horse for course.

Nothing wrong with that and he will win races but not overly many.

To win more races he needs to be surrounded with different thinkers; people with different tactical ideas. People prepared to back him in financially.

And then he has to act.

Its much easier to listen to more of the same than to change. Change can be challenging and its confronting.

And if the people who pay you and pull the strings don't want challenging changes (which involves the spending of money) you console yourself with what you are doing is fine and what you will keep on doing is fine.

And the pay-masters say its fine.

So its fine.

Quote Originally Posted by blueheeler1 View Post
    Norder.

There are horses for courses and its hard to get past a situation where, for a while, the horse suits the course.
    But horses have to learn to win on a number of different courses and they need to adopt different race tactics to be successful unless you are a Usain Bolt horse.

To win more races he needs to be surrounded with different thinkers; people with different tactical ideas. People prepared to back him in financially.
    And then he has to act.

Its much easier to listen to more of the same than to change. Change can be challenging and its confronting.
    And if the people who pay you and pull the strings don't want challenging changes (which involves the spending of money) you console yourself with what you are doing is fine and what you will keep on doing is fine.

So its fine.
    ....are in a strong field Heeler - so believe it normal to lift the standard...or just don't make the race, it won't happen....though there are, usually, some on the outside that show some level of capable - brief flashes of something - which can make you wonder....is it that they haven't been given the necessary guidance to develop completely etc - but that's a draggy and risky edge to pursue at length - so maybe not...Time is, to fold it and take something fresh..... .
    There's the good news, it isn't too late, even though it's missed the gradual and Is feeling forced....are not yet completely saddelled with a fall - as are lucky enough to have the choice to make 'some' positive change...at least try to make the fence - choose any otherwise, and I think....are settled on drifting back to that happy rut..... .

Last edited by Norder; 13-10-2018 at 02:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Would that be the same Andre Gray who has scored just 14 PL goals from open play in 71 PL games ? If so BT then I would suggest he didn't get enough stick. You can tell how poor Gray is, because the not an EPL footballer Chris Wood, has scored 10 already from less than half the games Gray has played, just 33.

Anyway I haven't given Gray any stick for a while so this is overdue, Gray traps a ball further then I can throw my cap, his hold up and link up game is non-existent and his scoring record is abysmal, I'm still amazed that Watford haven't prosecuted us under the Trade Descriptions Act for selling them someone we described as a PL striker, when he clearly isn't.
    The very same Andre Gray who coolly clipped one past Hart in the 3rd minute to set the Hornets up nicely for a 3-1 away win? Yes, indeed it was!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    The very same Andre Gray who coolly clipped one past Hart in the 3rd minute to set the Hornets up nicely for a 3-1 away win? Yes, indeed it was!
    So he scored a goal from open play against us, I know, it's included in the 14 I've already mentioned he's scored in the PL, 14 in 71 games, Wood 10 in 33 games. No contest really is it, even Dianne Abbot would understand those figures.

So he scored a goal from open play against us, I know, it's included in the 14 I've already mentioned he's scored in the PL, 14 in 71 games, Wood 10 in 33 games. No contest really is it, even Dianne Abbot would understand those figures.
    Maybe,but she would probably use up all three lifelines and her two safety nets if the question was on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire..

Trying to remember when "Mr Flash in the Pan" Wood last scored? Admit it sinkov, he would struggle to get in the Clitheroe side.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaretinBudapest View Post
    Maybe,but she would probably use up all three lifelines and her two safety nets if the question was on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire..
    I have had two face to face conversations with Diane in the past, without a doubt she is no black beauty, but she is very charming and comes across as a really bright, enthusiastic person.

Attachment 10883

If I was on the same money that she is raking in I am sure that I too would be very charming and come across as a really bright, enthusiastic person without having to make any effort to be so..

Quote Originally Posted by blueheeler1 View Post
    Interesting reading Norder.

And then he has to act.

So its fine.
    I think there's a better horse racing analogy. SD isn't a horse, he a trainer. In horse racing it's no use buying your trainer a load of moderate handicappers and expecting him to win the Derby. The same small group of trainers win most of the big races every year because they have the wealthiest owners who buy them the best horses. There are plenty of trainers who are just as competent outside of this group, but they can't compete at the highest level because their owners can't compete financially, and the horses they train simply aren't good enough. No matter what the trainer does or how proficient he is, he can't win the Derby with a moderate handicapper.

Sean is one of those trainers, his horses are moderate handicappers, and until his owners buy him better horses, no matter what he does, he might train a winner or two at Catterick and Ripon, but he isn't going to train a Derby winner, in fact it will take all his ability to train one of his moderate horses to be even good enough to run in the Derby, let alone win it.

I think there's a better horse racing analogy. SD isn't a horse, he a trainer. In horse racing it's no use buying your trainer a load of moderate handicappers and expecting him to win the Derby. The same small group of trainers win most of the big races every year because they have the wealthiest owners who buy them the best horses. There are plenty of trainers who are just as competent outside of this group, but they can't compete at the highest level because their owners can't compete financially, and the horses they train simply aren't good enough. No matter what the trainer does or how proficient he is, he can't win the Derby with a moderate handicapper.

Sean is one of those trainers, his horses are moderate handicappers, and until his owners buy him better horses, no matter what he does, he might train a winner or two at Catterick and Ripon, but he isn't going to train a Derby winner, in fact it will take all his ability to train one of his moderate horses to be even good enough to run in the Derby, let alone win it.
    A very good analogy Sinkov.

And one that most sensible Burnley fans recognise as the reality for our club.

But there are still those who criticise our club for not splashing the cash by buying a proven a 20 goals per season striker. Totally unrealistic.

What we have proved we are good at though is spotting a promising carthorse pulling a milk float and turning it into a big race winner. (Ings, Gray, Austin, Vokes, Barnes).

But to expect us to be continuously successful in this strategy is virtually expecting the impossible - and the majority of our fans realise this.

To survive for any length of time in the Prem we need to,
    A/. Vastly improve our foreign scouting system (which we have embarked on)
    B/. Get a rich backer on board (which many people don't want)

Otherwise eventually financial reality will kick in and we will find ourself playing at what is our natural level - and that is not the Prem.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)