+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Waggotts piece

Waggotts piece

Did wonder how long this would take.
    Seen your comment Aucks, an yep that’s one main reason.
    But there are a myriad of other governing factors contributing, which are then further hindering by virtue of our recent history of Venkys ownership.
    I myself have ‘got past’ that side of it, but there is no doubt that all clubs (by varying degree) are being hampered by taking the queens shilling from the media giants.
    This has always been my concern and for me this is a precursor behind stoking the fire behind the BD sell on as somehow we will need to balance the payout for Brereton .
    FFP will be back to haunt us if we’re not careful. But also ‘looking further ahead’ you can be sure that our owners will be taking note of our limited progress off field.

Please Champs don’t see this as me being doom monger / negative Nora, it’s just reflective thoughts upon the piece by Waggott. He is pretty obviously perturbed that the gates have not increased above and to the levels he expected. This will no doubt reflect towards his ‘forward planning’.

Thanks D
    I think we have got all the stuff out in the open now, and are all on the same page. Don't feel like you have to explain, and for the record these are concerns I feel aswell.

I follow rovers on our community page etc and I have never seen us be this active in the local community. Its very evident we are extremely proactive in that area.

My feeling is, the missing 5k will come back in time, the better we do.
    If we get back into the Prem, then around 3 and a half thou will return overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Despair View Post
    Did wonder how long this would take.
    Seen your comment Aucks, an yep that’s one main reason.
    But there are a myriad of other governing factors contributing, which are then further hindering by virtue of our recent history of Venkys ownership.
    I myself have ‘got past’ that side of it, but there is no doubt that all clubs (by varying degree) are being hampered by taking the queens shilling from the media giants.
    This has always been my concern and for me this is a precursor behind stoking the fire behind the BD sell on as somehow we will need to balance the payout for Brereton .
    FFP will be back to haunt us if we’re not careful. But also ‘looking further ahead’ you can be sure that our owners will be taking note of our limited progress off field.

Please Champs don’t see this as me being doom monger / negative Nora, it’s just reflective thoughts upon the piece by Waggott. He is pretty obviously perturbed that the gates have not increased above and to the levels he expected. This will no doubt reflect towards his ‘forward planning’.
    Despair - I just think it's a lot more complicated than just ticket-prices and/or Venky's. I've written a long piece on this elsewhere, but let me just say, "Look at what has happened to the level interest in cricket in the West Indies". Apparently, more Caribbean kids now play basketball!

Given the change in, shall we say, local demographics, Blackburn may have more success creating a professional cricket club..

Quote Originally Posted by Saxo1man41 View Post
    Given the change in, shall we say, local demographics, Blackburn may have more success creating a professional cricket club..
    That is a very fair point, Saxo!
    A lot will depend on how successful schools are in introducing football to kids of Asian origin. From what I can see, the commercial people are working very hard on that very thing. There seem to be lots of visits to schools and youth-groups. What's needed, to give it a boost, is a star footballer in the team with that ethnic background.
    I seem to remember a couple of possibilities in this year's Academy signings, but the Under-18 lad whose name sounds to be Asian (Jalil Saadi) is actually Moroccan.
    I'd have thought Venky's would be urging such a process on, because a Sub-Continent first-teamer would surely do wonders for them, commercially.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)