+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: O.T.:- Music gigs

Quote Originally Posted by Jeekay56 View Post
    In 1960 on the way home from doing his military service in Germany, he changed Aeroplanes at Prestwick.
    I do wonder if the appetite for Mersey Beat would have ever spread nationwide had Elvis toured Britain between 60 and 62. There was a degree of hysteria for Cliff and some of those Larry Parnes acts but nothing on the scale we would have seen for Elvis and then got for The Beatles and The Stones. Elvis however, by that time, was very much deferential to his elders, he wouldn't have changed attitudes, it would have been disastrous for the rock scene and could have set it back as much as a decade.
    It's staggering really that in the year you've got the Tsar bomb being dropped and, another year on, the Cuban missile crisis, the most edgy act on the TV and radio is a bunch of geeks doing choreographed leg kicks to guitar instrumentals. Even the folk scene hadn't got started properly. Who were the people on the CND marches listening to? That Dave Brubeck single on repeat? It's astonishing to me that those in power had such an incredibly firm grip on the youth at that time, though obviously it wasn't to last much longer. The pace of change between 64 and 69 will never be repeated.

My band once supported them..

Quote Originally Posted by Gubbie View Post
    That sounds like a cracking night lost voice i bet. I Saw omd in york they were excellent some gpod new stuff aswell. Simple minds in lincoln was great to see them but his voice isn't the best nowdays. DM were absolutely superb last year top live band
    To answer your question Gubbie I've been to a few concerts at the Concert Hall over the last couple of years and I must say Jools Holland is a great evening (seen him three times so far, going again in November)...Also seeing Billy Ocean and Gladys Knight next year...

I also saw The Beatles(with my then girlfriend who screamed her bloody head off all the way through it) at the Odeon and The Rolling Stones at The Albert Hall in the 60's...But clubs like the Dungeon and The Boat Club had some great acts...just to name of few of my favourites, Little Walter, Sonny Boy Williamson, Little Stevie Wonder, Long John Baldry, The Who, Small Faces, and The Steam Packet which included a very young Rod Stewart, Julie Driscoll and LJB...

Did u sack her off for the screaming? must of been annoying haha. I saw u2 at Twickenham last year but bono spoilt it slightly with his political rants all the time. The cure were great at hyde park

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    My band once supported them..
    Who? And I mean who, not 'The'.

I think the last gig I went to was Faithless at the ice arena about 10 years ago. Great performance, sh!t venue. My best memories are of punk gigs getting on for forty years ago seeing the likes of The Dead Kennedys and Siouxsie and the Banshees. Punk in the 70s changed the music scene in a massive positive way, f@cking off the big producers and spawning loads of independent labels. I find this thread a bit odd to be honest, in that it seems to asking for recommendations on what to go and see. Surely we all like what we like without asking anyone else to tell us? Some people revere The Beatles, personally I would rather listen to the screeches of mating cats.

I can recommend the Open Air Theatre at Scarborough and most acts seem to thrive on the atmosphere there, which is why they come back time and again.
    JAMES were outstanding a couple of months ago. Tim Booth got crowd-surfed and one or two naughty people gave him a tough time. For a man in his fifties, his voice is still in good shape and I love the lyrics on their latest album.

Saw The Script, Texas & The Stereophonics at Scarborough this year and all were good. Stereophonics were the best of the lot. Lucky enough to see Van Morrison when he opened the new venue in Hull in August this year & caught Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott and George Ezra at Dalby. Tickets to see Mumford & Sons in December in Leeds, they were very good last time.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    I can recommend the Open Air Theatre at Scarborough and most acts seem to thrive on the atmosphere there, which is why they come back time and again.
    JAMES were outstanding a couple of months ago. Tim Booth got crowd-surfed and one or two naughty people gave him a tough time. For a man in his fifties, his voice is still in good shape and I love the lyrics on their latest album.
    I took my 16-year-old to that gig too, and she loved it despite not knowing many James albums. I’ve been a huge fan for 30 years and for me they’re one of the best live bands out there (along with the Manics).

Agree with you about the Open Air Theatre - great venue right next to the beach, perfect on a sunny day.

Am going to see ELO at the O2 Arena on Wednesday - hope they live up to expectations as I think Jeff Lynne was a genius songwriter back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Who? And I mean who, not 'The'.
    The Bootleg Beatles and the Searchers...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast