+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: O.T.:- Music gigs

Im not asking anyone to tell me who to go and see elite ive been to quite a few i just love most genre's of music. Some bands are still or starting to tour again. Some bands are rubbish live some venues are good/bad and its better than politics

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    Aye ......... Orbison, Presley.... both brilliant. Sorry Joe I never liked the Beatles ...... but many did. I can lay fame to seeing Haley at the Odeon and another time, Buddy Holly and the supporting act of Cliff Richard. However way back then, the Yanks certainly had the far superior artists. The likes of Tommy Steele, Marty Wilde, Vince Eager were pale shadows compared to Jerry Lee, Eddie Cochran, the Platters and others.
    Wow, now there hang on Buddy at the Odeon Cinema, where Des O'Conor was the compare on that tour I saw the Crickets at Demontfort Hall Leicester in 1960 with Bobby Vee & the New Beats superb show. Also during my time in the music business 1960 to 1978 I played guitar for Vince Eager, he had a great a voice and still does today so just give some credit where its do.
    I have to agree that back in the day though there was no comparison between a Fender, Gibson and a Hofner guitars though, speaking as one who has owned all.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Elvis only ever visited the UK once in his lifetime … any guesses? It was, let’s say a flying visit!
    Touched down in the land of the Jock's to refuel on his way from Germany back to the States whilst serving for Uncle Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridg4d_Pie_ View Post
    Wow, now there hang on Buddy at the Odeon Cinema, where Des O'Conor was the compare on that tour I saw the Crickets at Demontfort Hall Leicester in 1960 with Bobby Vee & the New Beats superb show. Also during my time in the music business 1960 to 1978 I played guitar for Vince Eager, he had a great a voice and still does today so just give some credit where its do.
    I have to agree that back in the day though there was no comparison between a Fender, Gibson and a Hofner guitars though, speaking as one who has owned all.
    Hey up youth ........ I'm not discrediting Mr Eager as he 'made it' so to speak and good luck to him. I guess you're possibly 5-6 years younger than me so I can say I was at the right age to see the birth of proper rock'roll in the U.K. and the 'big boys' were certainly the Yanks. It's all a matter of opinion on whom one liked or disliked at that time. I put together a small band (we were rubbish) and Stu Burgan who I believe you know, bought his first guitar and played for us. Our singer was Duncan Campbell who regularly entered talent contests at the Vic and also appeared at the Empire in the Carroll Levis 'discovery show'. Alan Roper was another budding singer (a schoolmate) who was on the local scene and also played double bass with Al Washbrook's (??)) band at the Vic. I'd like to get in touch with Alan if you know him, if he's still around.

You obviously carried on whereas I got fed up and packed it in - and it's good to hear you retained your interest. Now I'm old, like many fortunate enough to remember those days, the jiving, playing football and cricket, snookering and playing darts are long gone. The only participating sport I now have (as you do I believe) is fishing. I'll have to invite you for a day out at Averham on the Trent (a small club ... only 7 private pegs) but excellent barbel to 12 lb's if you're patient! Keep strumming on !!
    Last edited by seriouspie; 14-10-2018 at 11:32 AM.

Well this thread will put to bed once and for all the myth that Notts fans are a load of old farts. Anybody remember Victorian music hall and Jack the Ripper?

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Well this thread will put to bed once and for all the myth that Notts fans are a load of old farts. Anybody remember Victorian music hall and Jack the Ripper?
    Good morning Fatboy ..... sorry I can't go back that far. However without the older generation i.e. Jack Dunnett, Lou Levin. Billy Barrowcliffe, John Mountenay and Derek Pavis to name a few, there would be no Notts County FC. I take onboard your sarcasm but as you know this is the lowest form of wit and as this often means constipation, I feel for you. Therefore as I understand you are having a few financial problems at present, please allow me to pay for a bag of prunes. Do however take them before next Wednesday as the last thing I would want is you smelling whilst you're on your big day out next Saturday.
    Last edited by seriouspie; 14-10-2018 at 12:59 PM.

Love The Clash and saw them many times live. Never dressed like one but loved me punk back in the day. Bands like The Damned , Stiff Little Fingers and Buzzcocks , seen them all. I also remember seeing Joy Division ( I think it was in Derby) not long before Ian Curtis topped himself. One of my favourite gigs was UB40 at the Concert Hall in 2003 , just after England had won the Rugby World Cup. They sang 'Swing Low' and the place erupted.
    Last edited by navypie; 14-10-2018 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Love The Clash and saw them many times live. Never dressed like one but loved me punk back in the day. Bands like The Damned , Stiff Little Fingers and Buzzcocks , seen them all. I also remember seeing Joy Division ( I think it was in Derby) not long before Ian Curtis topped himself. One of my favourite gigs was UB40 at the Concert Hall in 2003 , just after England had won the Rugby World Cup. They sang 'Swing Low' and the place erupted.
    Blimey yeah stiff little fingers are they still on the go? I liked 999 aswell the damned were great use to watch indie chart hits on channel 4

The Prodigy last year and Noel Gallagher this year, both at the Motorpoint Arena.

Saw noel with u2 didnt rate him much though we were bit wobbly sounded like he used alot of tweeks and stuff on his voice. Im thinking of going to see muse, as anyone on seen them?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast