+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: O.T.:- Music gigs

Quote Originally Posted by JoePass View Post
    Roy Orbison and The Beatles at the Odean, Nottingham. Well, it was a few years ago.
    Aye ......... Orbison, Presley.... both brilliant. Sorry Joe I never liked the Beatles ...... but many did. I can lay fame to seeing Haley at the Odeon and another time, Buddy Holly and the supporting act of Cliff Richard. However way back then, the Yanks certainly had the far superior artists. The likes of Tommy Steele, Marty Wilde, Vince Eager were pale shadows compared to Jerry Lee, Eddie Cochran, the Platters and others.

Liam Gallagher at Ally Pally in December was f00kin great. I’m a bigger fan of Noel, but his songs aren’t as good to hear live nowadays. The Manics are really good live as well.

From the jam played woolaton park festill before it was called splendour

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    Aye ......... Orbison, Presley.... both brilliant. Sorry Joe I never liked the Beatles ...... but many did. I can lay fame to seeing Haley at the Odeon and another time, Buddy Holly and the supporting act of Cliff Richard. However way back then, the Yanks certainly had the far superior artists. The likes of Tommy Steele, Marty Wilde, Vince Eager were pale shadows compared to Jerry Lee, Eddie Cochran, the Platters and others.
    Elvis only ever visited the UK once in his lifetime … any guesses? It was, let’s say a flying visit!

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    In the mid-1990s I saw the shoegazing/Britpop band Lush perform in our own Meadow Club as it was then, which was quite something given that they were enjoying significant chart success at the time (Single Girl, Ladykillers etc). I don't know if it was a booking made before they hit the big time and they simply had to honour it, or whether they chose to play such a small/basic venue for the hell of it, but it did seem an odd choice! They did a professional job though.
    I was at the Lush gig too. For some reason the Meadow Club was branded 'Connection' for the couple of live gigs it hosted and Lush played there on Saturday night (30th March 1996 to be precise) after Notts had beaten Carlisle 3-1 at home that afternoon. Gary Jones scored a brace and Gary Martindale got the other if anyone is interested?!

Me and a couple of mates managed to blag the head barman (Mick?) into letting us stay in the club after the match. We got to watch the band sound-check and have a few more beers before the doors opened and the rest of the punters poured in. Top day that.

I was also in the Meadow Club when Ocean Colour Scene played there. This was also a bit of a 'coup' since Chris Evans had been bigging them up on his breakfast show for a couple of weeks and their Riverboat Song was about to become his TFI Friday theme tune. The place was packed and I can remember quite a few mods turning up on scooters outside the club (OCS were then known as 'Paul Weller's 'backing band').

I could be wrong but I think the very first TFI Friday show went out a week or two after OCS played at Meadow Lane and they soon became a big part of the Britpop scene. Great days

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Elvis only ever visited the UK once in his lifetime … any guesses? It was, let’s say a flying visit!
    In 1960 on the way home from doing his military service in Germany, he changed Aeroplanes at Prestwick.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeekay56 View Post
    In 1960 on the way home from doing his military service in Germany, he changed Aeroplanes at Prestwick.
    That's true.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    I saw the Beatles at the Odeon, too, and when I say saw, I do mean saw, as I never heard a thing except John Lennon shouting "SHURRUP!" at all the girls screaming. 7s 6p it cost me (37.5p) to hear a load of ****age gels screaming their lungs out.
    I also saw them at the old Elizabethan Rooms off Upper Parliament Street, a bit classier this, 15 shillings! (75p) and you could actually hear the music.

My favourites were always The Beatles and Bob Dylan, but it's only worth seeing Bob Dylan just so's you could say you've seen Bob Dylan. I saw him at what is now the Motorpoint Arena, no atmosphere, no reaction or chat with the audience, nothing, no announcement of the next song, changing the tunes of his most well-known songs enough to make them unrecognisable. I also saw him at the old Aston Villa Sports Club (or something like that) on his Unplugged tour, same non-atmosphere, just the same except you could recognise the songs.
    I was at the Dylan gig too. Worst performance I've ever seen in my life - horrendous! Such a shame as he'd always been a musical god for up until that point.

Foals are always worth seeing in a small venue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeekay56 View Post
    Correct!

Quote Originally Posted by rorylee View Post
    I was at the Dylan gig too. Worst performance I've ever seen in my life - horrendous! Such a shame as he'd always been a musical god for up until that point.

Foals are always worth seeing in a small venue.
    What amazes me is he is still doing world tours. His voice went years ago but he still fills the stadia, probably with people like me who have all his albums and still play them, I wouldn't go to another of his gigs though.

Back to the plot now, sort of. A few years ago I saw the Bootleg Beatles at the Concert Hall and when they walked onto the stage in their early '60s suits with the German-style rounded collars it gave me goosebumps. So uncanny, it was like going back to over fifty years ago, and me, a young sprog had never seen or heard owt like it.

Old git reminiscences over.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast