+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: There's no end to what these Royals can do!

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    I don't watch Eastenders any more because it is so dreary and dull everybody is downtrodden and pissed off all the time then I realised that this is the most realistic soap of all. This is what life is really like in the East End of London where there is no money and few decent jobs.It sums up what it is like to live in Britain if you've no money. its a feckin miserable existence .Its nowt to do with the programme being left wing it is to do with the programme being a good reflection of the society many live in. Poor jobs, violence, crime, poor housing, lack of hope etc. It ain't a message from the left wing its a message to the left wing ie don't forget us poor buggers- and everybody else for that matter. You don't have to put a political slant on tv culture just show life as it really is.

Maybe we should sanitise all programmes for you gfire so it seems everything is hunky bloody dory.
    You really ought to get out more roly if you think the tv programme Eastenders is like the East End and is representing poor people, couldn't be further from the truth.
    Last edited by CASPER-64-FRANK; 19-10-2018 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    Help! I think someone has slipped LSD in my beer. Either that or gf and Roly are genuinely trying to find hidden meanings within EastEnders, with Roly confidently asserting that it represents what life is really like in the East End of London even though he says he doesn't watch it.
    Don't need to smarty pants, there is plenty of dark blue and purple on this map in that area of London.

https://www.trustforlondon.org.uk/da...across-london/

I can see geography wasn't your strong point at school.

The second is the concentration of poverty in traditional areas such as in Tower Hamlets, Hackney and Newham. Although this series of reports has documented poverty shifting out of Inner London, the most concentrated areas of high poverty are still there and in the north east.

I suppose Trust for London make it up like me.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 19-10-2018 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-64-FRANK View Post
    You really ought to get out more roly if you think the tv programme Eastenders is like the East End and is representing poor people, couldn't be further from the truth.
    I accept that there are plenty of other places in britain that are even worse where they could base the programme as well that is for sure casper.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 19-10-2018 at 06:12 PM.

Well bless me Kerr that's a very interesting map.I only wanted to use it as an example for east London but that shows quite a bit of spreading as well. Its worse than I thought! Maybe they didn't need to base the programme on the east end only.You are right it is not representative of poverty in London its actually just a small part of it.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 19-10-2018 at 07:01 PM.

I had my little cotton socks blown off when I heard and read for the nth time that Harry and Meghan dispensed with their socks and shoes and proved conclusively that they can walk on sand. This is a formidable achievement for which they merit repeated respect.

I'm a purple plastic sandals chap myself to go with my yellow (sometimes orange) Primark socks. If I could walk on sand barefooted then perhaps I might start to get above myself and start agitating for a dukedom at the very least. Careless broadcasting costs lives.

Can they walk on water though?

Eventually I reckon. After all it took Jesus several soggy attempts. Or so one of the Apostles said. Many decades later. During a major PR drive.

This kind of fawning and bowing and scraping is looking very dated to me.

It may be an unpopular view but I don't think it's right to portray the BBC as speaking with a single voice across all its programmes. Samira Ahmed on today's Newswatch was scathingly critical of the editor of the 1 O'Clock News for devoting 4 minutes to news of the royal pregnancy, a story which she felt merited only a short mention. That said, an end to the Licence Fee is one of my top political demands.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Don't need to smarty pants, there is plenty of dark blue and purple on this map in that area of London.

https://www.trustforlondon.org.uk/da...across-london/

I can see geography wasn't your strong point at school.

The second is the concentration of poverty in traditional areas such as in Tower Hamlets, Hackney and Newham. Although this series of reports has documented poverty shifting out of Inner London, the most concentrated areas of high poverty are still there and in the north east.

I suppose Trust for London make it up like me.
    Tower Hamlets, Hackney and Newham? Eastenders is set in Walford.... I think it is perhaps you with the weak spot on geography.

Do you have any views on the socio-economic circumstances in Weatherfield or an explanation for the high murder rates in Midsomer? Trumpton must have done your head in with the way that the mayor saw the Fire Brigade as his own personal fiefdom...

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast