+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: There's no end to what these Royals can do!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post
    Erm, Big Ben, Tower Bridge, Buckingham Palace? I don't think red boxes are what people are coming to see.

Apparently last year Bangkok #1, London #2, Paris #3.

Tourism shouldn't be a reason for compromising on democracy though. There isn't good reason to think the lack of a state recognised monarch would affect tourism though. I'd favour an elected monarch with the largely ceremonial role perhaps every 20 years, and right now the Royal family would easily win, nothing would change except the anti democratic aspect of it.

I just think any child should be able to aspire to be head of state in the country they live, and we're of the countries where that isn't possible, but there are ways it can be achieved.
    Firstly John I didn't say that they came to see them. They are iconic things that people throughout the world recognise. I accept the places you have mentioned are a good representation of what people see as British.

What is democratic about the way our government works with the oyal family?

We have a number of MPs voted for by the people. Then there is a second chamber. The Lords who scrutinise every bill that passes through the parlement.

This houses of lords with its Hereditary peers could be the base of anyones argument of un-democratic system in the UK. Some of its out dated appointments should be debated upon.
    Having quangoes in there and appoited members who don't turn up often should be got rid of. Having ex polititions is a good thing as they know how the system works. Having heads of industry is another good thing as long as they turn up.

Should they be voted in every four or five years? I think that you have a good argument for that .

But to have two elected houses with two leaders isn't the way forward. The Prime Minister would be in a pointless apointment if there was a President as well.

Dmocracy isn't compremised on tourism John. The democratic system in the UK works fine without any Royal interfering and anyone can become Prime Minister.
    Last edited by frogmiller; 13-10-2018 at 12:57 PM.