+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T Manchester - so much to answer for

O/T Manchester - so much to answer for

Mobike runs a bike-sharing business in 200 cities around the world and Manchester is the only one they've had to pull out of because of theft, vandalism and even bikes being set on fire.

Can they still mock Scousers for stealing hubcaps?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...ester-45717840

Afraid it's the sign of the times and the amount of scum that are amongst us.

In a blue sky world these schemes are great to see in action. I work in Sheffield and the amount of bikes I've seen vandalised as you head towards the Manor are very high indeed.

You cannot educate knuckle draggers and they come from all walks in life. To think that a massive cultural city like Manchester now has to suffer because of vandalism so high. Surprised most haven't made their way to a local scrap yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Afraid it's the sign of the times and the amount of scum that are amongst us.

In a blue sky world these schemes are great to see in action. I work in Sheffield and the amount of bikes I've seen vandalised as you head towards the Manor are very high indeed.

You cannot educate knuckle draggers and they come from all walks in life. To think that a massive cultural city like Manchester now has to suffer because of vandalism so high. Surprised most haven't made their way to a local scrap yard.
    ....lily white society lets them get away with it, like so many more things.

I find it hard to believe that Manchester is uniquely endowed with urban evils. If it were it would seem to imply some aspect of quantum mechanics or the laws of physics previously overlooked and that unnoticed by Einstein gravity actually also worked to draw scumbags or scummy behaviour to a particular city or town. This is possible but I think it's unlikely. Just as Rotherham is not a unique cradle of child abuse so I suspect Manchester is not the world's hotbed of bike vandalism. I may be wrong.

200 cities though and that's the only one where they've had to pull out, that's pretty bad.

There are some very rough areas there though particularly in the south of Manchester.

Thankfully two companies have recently pulled out of Seattle as 15,000 of the things were a bloody nuisance.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Thankfully two companies have recently pulled out of Seattle as 15,000 of the things were a bloody nuisance.
    The reason they pulled out is they got a tip on the timing of the Big One. Stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    The reason they pulled out is they got a tip on the timing of the Big One. Stay safe.
    Possibly, but more likely that having completed a 12 month free trial, 2 of the 3 companies involved decided not to cough up the $1.25M annual licence fee that the Seattle city council are asking for.