+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Scotland squad

I see Matt Ritchie is the latest to decide he no longer can be bothered playing for Scotland. As hopeless as the team has been under McLeish so far, I do think his policy of picking on form guys getting regular game time in the SPL is the correct one - guys who actually want to play for their country. Surely we've had enough of the days when we scoured the English leagues looking for guys with Scottish grannys who've never even visited Scotland yet see it as an easy way to further their career by getting a few international caps on their CV.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnydesalvo View Post
    Hopefully the board get to work on the new contracts for Shinnie and Mackay-Steven whilst they’re away. Getting them signed up in time for the final would go down well.
    Hopefully I’m wrong but my guess is that they’d have re-signed by now if they were going to?

Quote Originally Posted by RedStarTorphins View Post
    Hopefully I’m wrong but my guess is that they’d have re-signed by now if they were going to?
    I think as a minimum they are going to see what other choices their agents can drum up for them once they go into the pre-contract period. I wouldn't be surprised if GMS eventually re-signs as I don't think he is robust enough for lower league English football and he won't get a better offer elsewhere in Scotland. I think Shinnie will be away though as he made a less than veiled comment on money being a key part of his next move at the last dna Q&A and I think he is combative enough for the English Championship

Quote Originally Posted by Red Zone View Post
    I think as a minimum they are going to see what other choices their agents can drum up for them once they go into the pre-contract period. I wouldn't be surprised if GMS eventually re-signs as I don't think he is robust enough for lower league English football and he won't get a better offer elsewhere in Scotland. I think Shinnie will be away though as he made a less than veiled comment on money being a key part of his next move at the last dna Q&A and I think he is combative enough for the English Championship
    Shinnie may want a new challenge I guess and the opportunity to make a bit more money at the peak of his career. GMS has sat on a bench for long enough in his career to be very careful not to end up in that situation again.

It is a bit worrying though that come next season we may have lost McKenna, Shinnie and GMS, and possibly Ferguson if he keeps making headlines and attracts interest from down south.

Aye but think of the money.

More towards the westhill w’ankers stadium

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Corleone View Post
    I see Matt Ritchie is the latest to decide he no longer can be bothered playing for Scotland. As hopeless as the team has been under McLeish so far, I do think his policy of picking on form guys getting regular game time in the SPL is the correct one - guys who actually want to play for their country. Surely we've had enough of the days when we scoured the English leagues looking for guys with Scottish grannys who've never even visited Scotland yet see it as an easy way to further their career by getting a few international caps on their CV.
    I remember his interview the first time he got called up,he said he had never been to Scotland before so I would imagine he still doesn’t see himself as being Scottish and can’t be bothered anymore.

He also said

" I'm so s'hite I never thought I would ever play international football. I'm even prepared to play for the Jocks providing I don't have to wear a skirt"

The pink strip must have pleased the English p'oof

Keep it up Alex McLeish, you're on the right track.

Even if you are pished.

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Corleone View Post
    Shinnie may want a new challenge I guess and the opportunity to make a bit more money at the peak of his career. GMS has sat on a bench for long enough in his career to be very careful not to end up in that situation again.

It is a bit worrying though that come next season we may have lost McKenna, Shinnie and GMS, and possibly Ferguson if he keeps making headlines and attracts interest from down south.
    McKenna and Ferguson are on long term contracts and according to the press we are on the brink of Ferguson signing a further extension. They will only go for the sort of money that, even if only a portion of it goes into the playing budget, should see us with more to spend than for a long time.

I somewhat agree that GMS is likely to sign another contract. Shinnie maybe more 50/50.

Shinnie may prefer to play in a league where he is not targeted by referees.

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast