+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The last time Ashley backed a manager

The last time Ashley backed a manager

was McClaren. When i had a look to remind myself who he bought, I was surprised to find myself thinking 'aye, canny player' for most of them. A case of wrong manager/wrong team?

Wijnaldum-would have fit Rafa's number 10 role, I think. Rated by Klopp and has undoubted class; big questions about his performances away from home, though.

Mitrovic-dunno who this lad is...we never discuss him on here.

Florian Thauvin-ripping it up back in France and wasn't given a proper chance here but when he left, most folk were unconcerned given how lightweight and unsuited to this league he looked.

Chancel Mbemba-strange one. Many thought he was a good player but he always had a rick in him and Rafa didn't rate him (not following instructions/learning English-no one really knows).

Shelvey-probably our best outfield player. Enough said.

Andros Townsend-as a player, he's a billion, trillion times better than Atsu and at least as good as Ritchie, imo. Shame he was a mercenary twat.

Henri Saivet. Canny shite, tbf.

Apart from Saivet, every other player would improve our first team. Not even sure what my point is . Suppose I was just thinking what a waste of money it was when Ashley actually did back a manager properly but when I looked, the actual players weren't as bad as you might think given our subsequent relegation.

The problem is that he chose to back the wrong manager. No, Rafa isn't infallible as regards transfer spending-I remember looking at a list of his Liverpool buys and, in between some absolute orkers there were some huge duds but, for me, the first half of the man u game showed what could have been if he'd been allowed his first choice targets with a realistic budget...the second half showed what Ashley refusing to back him has actually done.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    was McClaren. When i had a look to remind myself who he bought, I was surprised to find myself thinking 'aye, canny player' for most of them. A case of wrong manager/wrong team?
    Definitely wrong manager but certainly a manager that even I thought might actually get us watching a football team play real football..and to be fair we did see some good football.

Problem?
    Too many players in too quickly and arguably most of which McClaren had little time to work with and arguably little knowledge of, in terms of getting them, as (if you can recall as I do) I remember seeing players coming in as the club was in America.

I disliked McClaren in the end, obviously but I think the chemistry of players were simply a volatile mix whilst McClaren was too diluted to actually sort it. Hence the near end of season shambles that even Rafa couldn't fix.

This is what you get when you spend big money on potential superstars at a club like Newcastle United in the back of beyond the arctic circle of the north east, it seems.
    Basically the players come with a talk the talk top dog mentality and rarely want to walk the walk unless it's to use us as a stepping stone.

This is why I hope we never go silly in spending, because it's dangerous for this club.
    The olden days of Hall are long gone.
    It's a different definition of spend spend spend to get results.

It's about identifying potential quality and actually making your own stars for a fair price and knowing that if they want to use you as a stepping stone, they have to become a star in their own right, for us, which means we benefit as we go, both ways, generally.

Wijnaldum-would have fit Rafa's number 10 role, I think. Rated by Klopp and has undoubted class; big questions about his performances away from home, though.
    Wijnaldum was a horses for courses player. Still is in a way. But for us he simply used us as a stepping stone in his own theatre (St.James') to put himself on the radar of the big guns.

Mitrovic-dunno who this lad is...we never discuss him on here.
    A player who came too young and ended up under the wrong manager, even though his heart was at this club, which is the biggest shame in terms of what he could've achieved.
    But, he's gone.

Florian Thauvin-ripping it up back in France and wasn't given a proper chance here but when he left, most folk were unconcerned given how lightweight and unsuited to this league he looked.
    A player that walked into the club like a young pampered film star. A player that knew how good he was and what he was capable of but wasn't prepared for the physicality of the English game....yet didn't really get the chance to put his own stamp on it which I believe he could've done if he was afforded time and patience from the manager and staff down to his own patience.

Just another one that got away. All clubs have them and generally have them in abundance.

Chancel Mbemba-strange one. Many thought he was a good player but he always had a rick in him and Rafa didn't rate him (not following instructions/learning English-no one really knows).
    I think his own versatility killed off his prospects at the club.
    I think Rafa saw him as too much of a ball playing risk rather than a bread and butter defensive brick.
    Basically speaking he had it all but made the odd error as well as actually using the ball that befit a more cultured centre back. Something Benitez isn't overly keen on.
    His fate was sealed regardless of rumours of him not learning English and what not, which I refuse to believe.

Shelvey-probably our best outfield player. Enough said.
    Yep, enough said.

Andros Townsend-as a player, he's a billion, trillion times better than Atsu and at least as good as Ritchie, imo. Shame he was a mercenary twat.
    Mercenary fits the bill.

Henri Saivet. Canny shite, tbf.
    I think he had some potential but just not enough to nail anything down at Newcastle.

Apart from Saivet, every other player would improve our first team. Not even sure what my point is . Suppose I was just thinking what a waste of money it was when Ashley actually did back a manager properly but when I looked, the actual players weren't as bad as you might think given our subsequent relegation.
    I actually think all managers were backed.
    It's just a case of how people see that backing and how they look into why the backing doesn't seem so giving for some as to others.
    This net spend stuff is a real twist in the tale of spending because it does not tell any reality of the whole story of transfers. It just plays a reliance on cash on the hip whilst the rest is simply left to disappear in terms of player movement with no cash changing so called hands.

The problem is that he chose to back the wrong manager.
    In hindsight he did but hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it?
    Personally speaking I think he's backed all managers. The issue is to do with the amount and what was bought with that amount, whether it's net cash or player outgoing transfer money recouping for incoming spending.

No, Rafa isn't infallible as regards transfer spending-I remember looking at a list of his Liverpool buys and, in between some absolute orkers there were some huge duds but, for me, the first half of the man u game showed what could have been if he'd been allowed his first choice targets with a realistic budget...the second half showed what Ashley refusing to back him has actually done.

Thoughts?
    I don't really want to use the Man Utd game as any yardstick for how we performed.
    I believe man Utd allowed us to perform because they simply did not.
    As much as it was good to watch in that half it was equally annoying to watch in the second half because Rafa decided once again to close down the game and allow Man Utd to simply regain lost impetus.

That's not down to Ashley not giving Rafa money. It's down to Rafa.
    That game was there for the taking and Rafa chose to hand it to Man Utd at a canter in the end, after the canter being our footing earlier on.

There will always be some excuse with Rafa if things don't go his way, which always comes down to everyone and thing else to blame but the man himself, because he's one egotistical bloke and fans will soon tire of him unless Ashley kicks him out of the club, hopefully sooner rather than later.

There's my thoughts.

We didnt play any good football under McClaren.

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie1974 View Post
    We didnt play any good football under McClaren.
    Yes we did.

Just my opinion.You keep telling yourself we did if it makes you feel better.Think it goes something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie1974 View Post
    Just my opinion.You keep telling yourself we did if it makes you feel better.Think it goes something like that.
    You're welcome to it.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    You're welcome to it.

Thank you SIR!!!

Great OP!

McClaren was a bad manager to be honest. Our team wasn't half bad - Rafa got way more out of it when he came, but the ship had sailed.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    Yes we did.
    The state the club was in when Rafa took over 3/4 games too late from MacMuffin says how good the football was under MacMuffin. Nailed on relegation certainty which Rafa was within a whisker of pulling out of the fire.

Great post.

I didn't rate Schteve after it became obvious he couldn't deal with the personalities he'd brought in.

If Rafa could get backed the same way, i'd be much more confident of us staying up.

IF we'd of stayed up, i think we'd of kept some of those players we lost and Rafa would of been able to do some good with us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)