+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Charlie Crickmore RIP

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    It is amazing how small our keeper Barry Watling was, mind you made some great penalty saves.
    RIP Charlie.
    Seconded.

Great nostalgic photo. "The team of giants" both in height and skill.

Properly turned out .... they looked good, shirts tucked in and socks worn correctly as well as the historic stripes on full show. I know looking smart doesn't make a footballer but it gives the impression they are.

Happy memories.

And only a small squad. More physical game, the only treatment was Jack's magic sponge, yet the defence managed the following appearances
    Watling 43
    Brindley 41
    Worthington 46
    Needham 45
    Stubbs 42

In addition, Crickmore, Masson & Nixon made over 40 appearances, while Barker, Jones & Bradd 'only' managed 37!

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    And only a small squad. More physical game, the only treatment was Jack's magic sponge, yet the defence managed the following appearances
    Watling 43
    Brindley 41
    Worthington 46
    Needham 45
    Stubbs 42

In addition, Crickmore, Masson & Nixon made over 40 appearances, while Barker, Jones & Bradd 'only' managed 37!
    Yes, no rolling about in agony unless a leg was broken!

Apart from Jack's cold sponge he'd hide a lit fag end for Stubby to have a drag !

Very sad news indeed Charlie was a tremendous solid winger and an important member of that great team assembled by Sir Jimmy, happy memories of Charlie.

R. I. P. Charlie and many thanks for the great memories.

Sad to hear this news. CC was part of that great team pictured above - my first introduction to Notts as an 11 year old was in the 18 months or so leading up to this great team of 70-71.
    It's a great team photo as well, - No logo's, advertising, sponsors etc, just good old Black & White, - and only 12 players on the photograph! No such thing as a "squad" in those days.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsetts_Pie View Post
    It's a great team photo as well, - No logo's, advertising, sponsors etc, just good old Black & White, - and only 12 players on the photograph! No such thing as a "squad" in those days.
    Couldn't agree more!

Very sad news. Maximum respect & RIP.

Just a little before "my time" but of the photo remember Needham, Bradd, Stubbs, Worthington, Nixon, Masson, Brindley.

*** No such thing as a "squad" in those days ***
    That was because we had something called a reserve team - who really were a team & played real competitive games - and if they impressed they were promoted to the first team & some poor under-achiever got relegated in their place.
    Last edited by Mark_Ross; 16-10-2018 at 07:42 PM.

Nine of that great team were under 25!

Name:  Notts 70-71 Ages.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  84.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Ross View Post
    Very sad news. Maximum respect & RIP.

Just a little before "my time" but of the photo remember Needham, Bradd, Stubbs, Worthington, Nixon, Masson, Brindley.

*** No such thing as a "squad" in those days ***
    That was because we had something called a reserve team - who really were a team & played real competitive games - and if they impressed they were promoted to the first team & some poor under-achiever got relegated in their place.
    In that case, very few impressed or very few (if any) underachieved!

From the stats above, 11 players managed 37 games or more with 8 playing 40 games or more.

The team virtually picked itself!

For those who don’t remember Charlie as a player, he attended the pitch walk around for the 100 years at Meadow Lane and was chuffed to bits to come back. I’ll see if I can find a pic if him at it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast