+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Charlie Crickmore RIP

This was my first season watching Notts as a 6 year old. If memory serves me right Charlie was all left foot and very direct whilst Nixon was a tricky little devil. Nixon used to play on the park with a whole bunch of kids at Western Fields in Rudd.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    In that case, very few impressed or very few (if any) underachieved!

From the stats above, 11 players managed 37 games or more with 8 playing 40 games or more.

The team virtually picked itself!
    Well that's as maybe, but i seem to remember lots of stars coming up from the reserves...
    Richards, Scanlon, Vinter, McVay, Bolton...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Ross View Post
    Well that's as maybe, but i seem to remember lots of stars coming up from the reserves...
    Calling McVay a 'star' is tenuous (loved Steak Diana Ross though) but Ian Bolton??? More of a Haydn Hollis type. I don't remember Ian Scanlon playing much reserve team football, but the glaring omission from your list is Tristan Benjamin. I do remember watching him and Pedro come through the reserves, couldn't wait to see both in the first team.

If post #4 is correct, I would only have seen Charlie Crickmore play once, my first season was 71-72.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyt1 View Post
    This was my first season watching Notts as a 6 year old. If memory serves me right Charlie was all left foot and very direct whilst Nixon was a tricky little devil. Nixon used to play on the park with a whole bunch of kids at Western Fields in Rudd.
    I seem to recall Nixon was a school teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Ross View Post
    Not that season they didn't. 3 years too early!

Charlie was part of that great team that rolls off the tongue, and whetted my appetite for all things black and white. A team of legends. Charlie was a wonderful proper footballer.
    RIP Charlie, thanks for the memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Calling McVay a 'star' is tenuous (loved Steak Diana Ross though) but Ian Bolton??? More of a Haydn Hollis type. I don't remember Ian Scanlon playing much reserve team football, but the glaring omission from your list is Tristan Benjamin. I do remember watching him and Pedro come through the reserves, couldn't wait to see both in the first team.

If post #4 is correct, I would only have seen Charlie Crickmore play once, my first season was 71-72.
    To be honest, it's a long time ago, and I was only a little kid, and not particularly interested (Notts fanatism developed much later) so all the players / dates / matches are bloody well confused!

But you are quite right about Benjamin... Max respect to one of the all-time-greatest football Afros.
    Last edited by Mark_Ross; 18-10-2018 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    I seem to recall Nixon was a school teacher.
    Wasn't Brian Bates (also a winger) a school teacher?

I was a huge fan of Charlie Crickmore during that promotion season.
    Charlie’s role was simply to pick up the ball in his own half, race down the left wing usually outsprinting the opposition defender then whip in a superb cross for Big Les Brad or Tony Hateley to nod home. I wonder how many “assists” he would have been credited with?
    I rarely saw him waste a cross including corners. RIP Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by IluvNotts View Post
    Wasn't Brian Bates (also a winger) a school teacher?
    Brian Bates played for Notts as an amateur while at teacher training college. In his last season before turning professional, he was voted "Player of the Year!"

Jon Nixon went to teacher training college after being released as a youngster by Derby County. He played for lkeston Town and Long Eaton United before joining Notts.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123