+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Pars vs. Doonhamers

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    There are far from being happy bunnies with most of the rhetoric aimed at Sandy Clark then AJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikefaethesouth View Post
    There are far from being happy bunnies with most of the rhetoric aimed at Sandy Clark then AJ.
    For sure. These comments under the match report suggest that the Pars fans have had enough of Alan Johnson.

For all of you wanting rid of Alan Martin, be careful what you wish for.
    Martin did well yesterday but in all honesty not before time. He`s been a major disappointment since he signed. Hopefully he can kick on from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobmeister View Post
    Martin did well yesterday but in all honesty not before time. He`s been a major disappointment since he signed. Hopefully he can kick on from here.
    If you consider the size of club we are , I don't think Martin is of a bad standard. Superior keepers will play for bigger clubs, its a simple as that . I would like to ask who ( names) a club with our resources could realistically recruit that is better than Martin ? Not having a dig, just want to open up the debate.
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 21-10-2018 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by louisxiv View Post
    Long time since I saw Queens play so badly yet still pick up 3 points. Good goal though and Martin pulled off some great saves. Think Mercer deserves some plaudits on what otherwise was a fairly dismal day. The young Canadian lad needs some coaching. Looked out of his depth today. Happy with the result though!
    Good post iouisxiv backed up by all the reports in the Sunday papers I saw but in the end a really welcome 3 points !

If you consider the size of club we are , I don't think Martin is of a bad standard. Superior keepers will play for bigger clubs, its a simple as that . I would like to ask who ( names) a club with our resources could realistically recruit that is better than Martin ? Not having a dig, just want to open up the debate.
    Yes there is some truth in what you say. Keeper is one of the positions where I would explore the loan market. I`d look to get a young talented keeper from a Prem club as we did with for example Zander Clark. I don`t know enough to name individuals by that would be my thinking. I was really pleased when we signed Martin as he seemed well regarded but I`ve been completely underwhelmed by him in all honesty. He does have ability as he showed yesterday but IMHO he`s not the bravest and until recently has looked unfit. Really do hope he can kick on. I`ll be delighted if he does.

Very disappointed that Semple was rested yesterday. Pity Martin has not performed to any decent level so far this season to prevent the young lad from being rested.
    If Martin had done his job so far this season results and goals conceded would be far better.

I truly hope he is being rested and he is back in the defence quickly.

Yes there is some truth in what you say. Keeper is one of the positions where I would explore the loan market. I`d look to get a young talented keeper from a Prem club as we did with for example Zander Clark. I don`t know enough to name individuals by that would be my thinking. I was really pleased when we signed Martin as he seemed well regarded but I`ve been completely underwhelmed by him in all honesty. He does have ability as he showed yesterday but IMHO he`s not the bravest and until recently has looked unfit. Really do hope he can kick on. I`ll be delighted if he does.
    I don't get this. Queens have traditionally been graced with some good, if not great keepers. Ball, Davidson, and Robinson in my time and my dad still maintains Henderson was one of the best he seen.
    Martin imo is average. A decent shot stopper but isn't keen on coming off his line. There is a few decent keepers floating around which I think would do a better job, however the club missed the boat when they have been available. Bell springs to mind as being one.

I was really pleased when we signed Martin as he seemed well regarded but I`ve been completely underwhelmed by him in all honesty. He does have ability as he showed yesterday but IMHO he`s not the bravest and until recently has looked unfit. Really do hope he can kick on. I`ll be delighted if he does.
    I too was pleased at the signing of Martin as he came with a very good reputation and was apparently wanted by some clubs down south. That said I have been disappointed with some of his performances especially his inability to dominate his box and to come for cross balls with his tendency to remain fixed to the goal line. I have given him the doubt as he has been injured a few times but he does look to have a very limited mobility at times. I do hope that when, and if, he gets fully fit he does show us precisely why he was rated so highly prior to signing for the Queens.

I think Naysmith needs to be applauded for playing the 3 subs. He gets slaughtered if he doesn't and so it is only appropriate to at least mention it, - especially if it only exposes the lack of depth in the squad.

~

JR talks about Martin, - and yes he is a good shot stopper, - but a goalkeepers job is much more than that and he needs to work on awareness, - acting as a sweeper and being prepared to come and claim easy crosses, - either by catching or punching. That's what he needs to work on and if we the fans can see some progress there we'd be a lot happier, - because at the moment he is a liability when it comes to balls into the box.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)