+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Saturday’s 6 pointer

Saturday’s 6 pointer

Saturday’s game against St. Johnstone is now a must win game that is certainly a 6 pointer. If we were to lose we would be 6 points behind the team in eighth place. Leaving us in a right relegation battle with the likes of Hamilton,St.Mirren and Dundee who have just sacked their manager. I don’t think our team would be up for the fight against the other three clubs. Where as a win on Saturday keeps us in the pack with at least five other teams. Robinson must surely be aware of the consequences of a defeat with regard to his position as manager and IMO the fans will no longer accept talk of the positives we can take from a game we have lost. To have any chance of winning I feel we have to go back to a back four with hopefully Dunne back playing.

I don't much about Saturday's game but I do know that Dunne will not be playing. It is an important game though.

Quote Originally Posted by texaco cup View Post
    Saturday’s game against St. Johnstone is now a must win game that is certainly a 6 pointer. If we were to lose we would be 6 points behind the team in eighth place. Leaving us in a right relegation battle with the likes of Hamilton,St.Mirren and Dundee who have just sacked their manager. I don’t think our team would be up for the fight against the other three clubs. Where as a win on Saturday keeps us in the pack with at least five other teams. Robinson must surely be aware of the consequences of a defeat with regard to his position as manager and IMO the fans will no longer accept talk of the positives we can take from a game we have lost. To have any chance of winning I feel we have to go back to a back four with hopefully Dunne back playing.
    Agree with 99% of that but not that we are not up for a fight...we have shown repeatedly that we are up for the fight against absolutely everyone, that is not the problem. The almost total lack of footballing ability being combined with our organisation failing compared to last season and individual mistakes is the problem.

Correct, we don't lack fight, we simply lack ability and that's what is killing us. Last season we got by with having Louis Moult for the first half of the campaign and a largely settled backline with just enough balance of pace and strength with Kipre, Dunne and Hartley/Aldred. We did also have a fair bit of luck especially in the Cups and also in that Robinson did some good business in January by bringing in Main and Aldred and they had an impact. However this season we have recruited poorly and the team lacks balance and flair as a result. We are where we deserve to be and that is in a relegation scrap.

As for Saturday, I think it's got 0-0 written all over it and will be an even worse sh1tfest than the Livi game.

The Manager has to change his tactics, we won't get away with just blootering the ball out of defence every week. We need to start playing football on the deck and have a go at teams that way. lets get to a back four, play Mchugh at centre half and play Bigi in the middle where he can play some passes. We could also play Grimshaw as a holding midfield player. We have to try something different as we look stale and far to predictable at the moment.

I think both Cadden and Campbell would benefit greatly from a break both look out on their feet in recent games. As much as it is great for both of them to get recognition for the national team at Under 21 level it has also taken its toil on both players. We might actually benefit long term by resting both and allow them to sit on the bench.

McHugh won't be available for Saturday and I'd rest Cadden & Campbell. I'd like to see Turnbull get a start and maybe Maguire as well.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)