+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    The word 'Pathetic' is a very good summary of the whole shambles. The scare stories are way off the mark though, just as they were from both sides at the time of the vote. Selling your granny into slavery now is as unlikely as the NHS getting £350million per week was then.
    I still stand by my original prediction, which was that there will be no great change, but the average family will be around 5% worse off.
    I think you'll be proved wrong Elite.

Cities in the North such as Manchester and Liverpool have all benefited massively from EU funding for redevelopment over the past 25 years. I think you'll find that Northern cities/towns are going to be far worse off post Brexit and the people who live there will be more than'5%' worse off. Everything is so Londoncentric and home counties focused and always has been since the demise of the industrial revolution. Northern towns are going to be left to rot by our government...even more than they are already. The EU was the North's lifeline...and now we're sticking two fingers up. Totally ridiculous.
    Last edited by MancMagpie; 16-10-2018 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MancMagpie View Post

Cities in the North such as Manchester and Liverpool have all benefited massively from EU funding for redevelopment over the past 25 years. I think you'll find that Northern cities/towns are going to be far worse off post Brexit and the people who live there will be more than'5%' worse off. Everything is so Londoncentric and home counties focused and always has been since the demise of the industrial revolution. Northern towns are going to be left to rot by our government...even more than they are already. The EU was the North's lifeline...and now we're sticking two fingers up. Totally ridiculous.
    But didn't the North mostly vote to leave?

What about them sticking 2 fingers up to 17.4 million of us. Bring on a no deal and getting out ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    But didn't the North mostly vote to leave?
    I don't know the exact figures, but I would imagine yes. Around the cities was mostly remain as I remember, but places like Oldham and Rochdale for example were mostly leave. The papers played the immigrant card and there's so much racial tension in those areas there was only one outcome.

I'm lucky enough to live in the city and be surrounded by like minded people who actually read up on things, My folks live in Rochdale and it's places like there where you're likely to hear the word 'Paki' in the pub on more than one occasion per night. I'm guessing a lot of votes in the smaller towns were based on racism rather than facts.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePass View Post
    What about them sticking 2 fingers up to 17.4 million of us. Bring on a no deal and getting out ASAP.
    So you're a 'Keep Britain for the British' type?

This man can some it all up.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKEsyIuTrO8

genius

Working in a local Police station over here at present.Was talking to one of the Officers(he had been talking to immigration) about Brexit,he was saying Pakis were flocking over from the UK applying for Irish passports,so they have EU ones.The reason being,Trafficking.

Quote Originally Posted by forwardmagpie View Post
    Another scare story then - where does 5% come from?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Did you fail to understand the bit that said "my original prediction"?
    Elite - don’t avoid answer

What information do you base “your prediction” of people being 5% poorer on.

I don't know the exact figures, but I would imagine yes. Around the cities was mostly remain as I remember, but places like Oldham and Rochdale for example were mostly leave. The papers played the immigrant card and there's so much racial tension in those areas there was only one outcome.

I'm lucky enough to live in the city and be surrounded by like minded people who actually read up on things, My folks live in Rochdale and it's places like there where you're likely to hear the word 'Paki' in the pub on more than one occasion per night. I'm guessing a lot of votes in the smaller towns were based on racism rather than facts.
    But it is not just happening in the UK, other countries around Europe like Italy, Sweden, Poland, Spain, Greece, Hungary etc. are turning away from the mainstream parties and are turning to the far right even Merkel in Germany is struggling and Macron as the lowest rating of any previous president.
    It is a scary situation but it is a lesson to politicians, don't listen to the people at your peril.

'The people' would never have abolished the death penalty
    'the people' would never have agreed to gay rights
    'the people' would not have banned smoking in pubs
    What have 'the people' ever done for us?

Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast