+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by forwardmagpie View Post
    Elite - don’t avoid answer

What information do you base “your prediction” of people being 5% poorer on.
    I base it on several news reports and opinions I've seen and read over the last couple of years, allied to gut feeling.

That and the fact that "taking control of our own destiny" lies in the hands of a hopelessly divided and incompetent government.

If you think I'm wrong then make your own prediction by all means.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    'The people' would never have abolished the death penalty
    'the people' would never have agreed to gay rights
    'the people' would not have banned smoking in pubs
    What have 'the people' ever done for us?
    Getting rid of the poll tax
    Voting to leave the EU
    Votes for women
    Fighting for their country so the likes of you and me have the right to say and do what we like within reason.
    How do you know the people wouldn't have banned smoking in pubs? Best thing they did imo. More people don't smoke than do.

Quote Originally Posted by forwardmagpie View Post
    Elite - don’t avoid answer

What information do you base “your prediction” of people being 5% poorer on.

The government’s own impact studies say the economy will take a 8% hit with a no deal Brexit. I’ve noticed arguments saying “Brexit will be great” have been replaced with “We don’t know what effect Brexit will have”.(As if that’s a good reason to do anything). We really do know what effect all types of Brexit will have, I’m guessing those making that statement just don’t want to find answers they won’t like.
    Last edited by BigFatPie; 17-10-2018 at 08:51 AM.

... actually away from the topic, the Community Charge (Poll Tax) was the fairest tax badly handled. If there are six people in a household it is common sense that they utilise more services than two in a house and payment for services should be proportionate.
    (... reaches for tin hat)

... those who claim that the EU has benefited aspects of UK life seem to miss the point that it's OUR money they directed at their pet projects.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHorse View Post
    ... those who claim that the EU has benefited aspects of UK life seem to miss the point that it's OUR money they directed at their pet projects.

is the right answer...

I think everyone is focusing on the impact in Britain, whereas I have noticed a lack of news on the impact on the EU? For example, the Irish are going to have to pay tariffs on goods from their largest trading partner, that isn't going to help them on bit, the EU loses a massive market for their goods. It seems that France and Ireland (mainly Macron and the Irish PM) are the ones trying to scupper a deal because they are focussing on what they can swipe from London.

My proposition is, wait until the tariffs hit Ireland and its economy, German industry won't be best pleased with a no deal scenario, job loses will not help Merkel at all. The eastern European countries will also be hit as well, this will lead to pressure on France to help the euro zone which isn't going to help an already unpopular Macron. What I'm suggesting is, a no deal brexit will be felt here instantly but we can recover, trading with the rest of the world. Longer term it's going to hurt the EU big hitters hard, I'd say a year or two down the line, Merkel and Macron will be gone and it wouldn't surprise me to see the EU project start to crumble. Not because of brexit per se, but because the EU have failed to plan properly. It's a no win situation for either side but Britain will have an easier time recovering

When we leave, will i be allowed to call myself an Englishman.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall55 View Post
    When we leave, will i be allowed to call myself an Englishman.
    Out of interest, who has ever told you that you aren't allowed to call yourself an Englishman?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I base it on several news reports and opinions I've seen and read over the last couple of years, allied to gut feeling.

That and the fact that "taking control of our own destiny" lies in the hands of a hopelessly divided and incompetent government.

If you think I'm wrong then make your own prediction by all means.
    I am concerned about the short term aspects of a no deal but with the shambles of the current proposals I think no deal is probably going to happen and is probably the better option.

Once Brexit happens (if it actually does) I think longer term we will prosper but who knows we may be 5% worse off.

Our airlines may be grounded, we will have no food, no medicine, the eurostar will be cancelled, etc etc but somehow other countries seem to manage.

The referendum campaign was shocking from both sides and didn't give most people any more decent information to base their decision on.

I based mine on not liking the EU project now and fearing what it would become in the future.

So in truth I don't know but don't pretend I do.

Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast