+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 55 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by ancientpie View Post
    Just the sort of reply that I would expect from the "I don't do it so you shouldn't" type poster that frequents this board, I don't smoke so you shouldn't, I don't drink so you shouldn't, I don't drive for pleasure or convenience so you shouldn't
    Did you deliberately miss the bit where I said "If anyone wants to indulge in the filthy habit then do so by all means"?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Did you deliberately miss the bit where I said "If anyone wants to indulge in the filthy habit then do so by all means"?
    You are brilliant at part quoting posts to suit your agenda EP, why is it that of the examples mentioned, smoking,drinking,driving & gambling all of which can badly effect people around you, are you only so passionately against smoking? it couldn't be that you actually indulge in the others could it? beware of the thin end of the wedge,live & let live mate.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Being lectured at by an Australian about my country is almost as annoying as when it's done by a Mexican. The problem with this gentleman, Grantham, is his lack of alternatives. Deconstructing the EU is one thing but making light of worrying over new trade deals and seriously considering the road ahead are more important.
    Apart from that, his monologues drone on and lack the liveliness of true debate. His views can be contested but presented in this format he can purport to be THE ONE TRUE VOICE.
    Pat Condell is neither Australian or English... he’s Irish. I would hazard a guess that his alternative to European servitude is to leave. As for deconstructing the EU, the former Eastern European block countries are doing a damned fine job of that, themselves. European rules are completely ignored in these countries.... but then, they only joined for the money anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by ancientpie View Post
    You are brilliant at part quoting posts to suit your agenda EP, why is it that of the examples mentioned, smoking,drinking,driving & gambling all of which can badly effect people around you, are you only so passionately against smoking? it couldn't be that you actually indulge in the others could it? beware of the thin end of the wedge,live & let live mate.
    Do you really not see the difference? Drinking can have a devastating effect on lives, but if you go for a drink does it affect everyone in the bar? Gambling can have a devastating effect on lives, but if you have a bet does it affect everyone in the betting shop? Driving can have a devastating effect on lives, but if you go for a drive does it affect everyone on the road? Smoking is different - if you have a fag it will have an effect on anyone close enough to inhale your toxic fumes. That's why the ban on smoking in public places was one of the best things to happen in years. I am a big advocate of the 'live and let live' doctrine, evidenced by my numerous posts against racism, ***ism, homophobia etc. It's just that smoking in public doesn't exactly honour the 'let live' part of the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    I am not disputing his opinion about the governments handling of the situation but how can I answer a question about something that asn't happened? Catastrophic outcomes is an opinion or statement not a fact.
    A fact is when something has actually happened and nothing as yet.
    And still you dodge the question.

Are they all lying when people say anything negative about Brexit?

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Thank God for that - the blessed Theresa's given us all another year's breathing space. Quite a canny idea, that, joining one year at a time under the pretence that you're leaving ... eventually. Can prove quite expensive though.
    Given the likelihood that we will end up with broadly the same "No Deal" situation at the end of the negotiations that we would have had if we had put a "take it or leave it" hard Brexit plan on the table on day one, the only beneficiaries of this process are the extra layer of EU bureaucrats and British Civil Servants brought in to "negotiate" on the premise that a genuinely mutually acceptable agreement was ever possible.

For all the talking and political posturing, the same red lines and barriers that made a deal unlikely at the start are still making a deal unlikely now, but thanks to our weak and gutless political leaderships we've spent two years procrastinating and chasing rainbows. The EU can't bend to Britain's preferred terms because it would effectively spell the end of their little club, and the Conservative Government can't bend to the EU's wishes if they want to retain their coalition with the Unionists and avoid losing at least half their support base for a generation.

By now we should have been at least a year into the No Deal scenario which will probably happen anyway, but now May is talking about extending the impasse yet further. Sir Humphrey Appleby would have loved it.
    Last edited by jackal2; 18-10-2018 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Given the likelihood that we will end up with broadly the same "No Deal" situation at the end of the negotiations that we would have had if we had put a "take it or leave it" hard Brexit plan on the table on day one, the only beneficiaries of this process are the extra layer of EU bureaucrats and British Civil Servants brought in to "negotiate" on the premise that a genuinely mutually acceptable agreement was ever possible.

For all the talking and political posturing, the same red lines and barriers that made a deal unlikely at the start are still making a deal unlikely now, but thanks to our weak and gutless political leaderships we've spent two years procrastinating and chasing rainbows. The EU can't bend to Britain's preferred terms because it would effectively spell the end of their little club, and the Conservative Government can't bend to the EU's wishes if they want to retain their coalition with the Unionists and avoid losing at least half their support base for a generation.

By now we should have been at least a year into the No Deal scenario which will probably happen anyway, but now May is talking about extending the impasse yet further. Sir Humphrey Appleby would have loved it.
    I’ve read an unhealthy amount about Brexit over the last two years and that is truly a unique interpretation. Are you sniffing Diesel?

... spot on jackal2

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post

Jackal, didn't you say you voted Leave? Did you do this despite the likelihood of a 'no deal' scenario?

I might be wrong but the one year extension surely only relates to an extension of the implementation period should a 'Deal' be achieved. I'm sure Article 50 states that if there is a 'No deal' scenario the UK still has to be out for March 2019?

Like I said, i could be wrong, can anyone clarify this?

Page 10 of 55 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast