+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by ancientpie View Post
    I have nothing against "gay rights" as long as they are campaigning for equality & not superiority, it is rapidly heading towards becoming compulsory & I am certain that some people are now claiming to be gay because it is an advantage if you are applying for certain jobs!
    You are certain of this, are you? Based on what? Do you know of anyone who has pretended to be gay to get a job? Do you have any evidence of anyone you don't know pretending to be gay to get a job? Roughly how long do you think it'll be until it is indeed compulsory to be gay when applying for a job?

I'm not saying that what you said is inflammatory nonsense - you are certain, after all. Plus, it seems strange for someone to make up their mind about an issue based on emotion or misinformation rather than reason and fact.

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    Working in a local Police station over here at present.Was talking to one of the Officers(he had been talking to immigration) about Brexit,he was saying Pakis were flocking over from the UK applying for Irish passports,so they have EU ones.The reason being,Trafficking.
    How does that work exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by MancMagpie View Post
    My main beef with it all is that ironically it's costing us millions to sort out and we're losing loads of money every month. Far more in total than we were actually losing on the NHS through being in the EU. The 350 million headline, although true, was just a tag line to grab votes for leave campaign from lazy newspaper readers. It's totally bonkers.
    The 350 million headline isn't true, and I find it mind-boggling that two years after it was thoroughly refuted that people still think it is true.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHorse View Post
    ... more importantly, do you think the EU were/are not wanting 'ever closer union' and the Europe of the Regions is myth?
    The principle of ever closer union between peoples of Europe has been written in EU treaties since 1957, but the EU has also formally been declared that member states can integrate at their own pace, which pretty much nullifies that argument.

As proof I can point to the fact that we've got (or rather had) an opt out of Schengen, as well as an opt out of the single currency, and a veto on this, that and the other. Claiming we just rescued ourselves from becoming a region of federal Europe is extremely far fetched, bordering on disingenuous.

Incidentally that article was written in 2016 and I still don't see a European superstate.

... you are right Driller. However the various national opt outs are merely temporary in the much longer game.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    The 350 million headline isn't true, and I find it mind-boggling that two years after it was thoroughly refuted that people still think it is true.
    Yes. Thoroughly refuted just after the vote (the following morning!) where it was used to deceive voters. Of course, not everyone fell for it, but without doubt, there were a lot who did.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    The last Bank of England governor Mervyn King contradicts the present one. So you will believe the one that supports your argument.
    He did in 2016, he doesn't seem so sure now.

'Lord King said that "a government that cannot take action to prevent some of these catastrophic outcomes illustrates a whole lack of preparation".

He probably means the catastrophic outcome with no deal etc, but he certainly doesn't seem to think that everything will be wonderful as some Brexiteers made out, and still do.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Yes. Thoroughly refuted just after the vote (the following morning!) where it was used to deceive voters. Of course, not everyone fell for it, but without doubt, there were a lot who did.
    Farage came clean the morning after the vote but it was refuted even before the referendum.

Apart from the fact that the politicians concerned would never increase spending on the NHS out of principle, the 350 million figure is a fiction, there has never been and never will be a week when we send 350 million to the EU.

The fact that we are still debating this underlines how problematic the whole situation is.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHorse View Post
    ... you are right Driller. However the various national opt outs are merely temporary in the much longer game.
    How?

Thank God for that - the blessed Theresa's given us all another year's breathing space. Quite a canny idea, that, joining one year at a time under the pretence that you're leaving ... eventually. Can prove quite expensive though.

Page 7 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast