+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 16 of 55 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Brexit

Just watched the tv and thousands of people walked down a street, well that’s changed my mind on Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by forwardmagpie View Post
    Just watched the tv and thousands of people walked down a street, well that’s changed my mind on Brexit.
    You know what, Forward? They don't give a s h i t about your mind. The focus is on their own solidarity.

Thanks for you insight Sid it is most helpful and supports your journalistic credentials.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Other EU countries don't receive revenue from our trade with other countries, like a kind of commision if that's what you meant. Their markets are pooled together with ours to give us a stronger negotiating position, it's the classic principle of collective bargaining.

Here's a summary of a recent EU deal negotiated with Japan in which the Japanese agreed to reduce their tariffs for EU companies. If we negotiate as a smaller single country it is logical to assume that we will either receive smaller reductions in tariffs or we will have to offer more concessions in order to receive the same reductions from them.

http://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/in-...ined/#problems
    Yep, understand all of that and it’s a fair point but I would argue those lesser EU countries need the union considerably more than the UK does. I would also argue that until we start these negotiations we will never know just how strong or weak our position is.

Like I said I’m just frustrated with the whole sorry affair. The fact remains the ‘people’ in this country democratically voted to leave the EU, unfortunately those with the task of fulfilling the will of the people have to this point failed them miserably.

Quote Originally Posted by forwardmagpie View Post
    They have every right to protest as part of democracy, but the British people have already voted and the majority voted to leave. That is how democracy works. It would extremely undemocraric and worrying if a second referendum were to be had because it would demonstrate that the people were not in control. Therefore it’s time to move on.

This all stems from forty years ago when the people were asked if they wanted the country to join a common market with 8 countries. In principle you can see the advantages so I can understand why the people voted to join. What the people did not vote for us that over the next forty years the country would edge closer and closer to economic and policial union whereby the countries sovereignty is slowly eroded and power centralised in Brussels led by unelected beaurocrats.

So the referendum result has reversed a decision that was made forty years ago in good faith but turned out to involve us giving away much more.

I note that the Broxtowe MP Anna Soubry, Vince Cable and Sadiq Kahn were in attendance. All very pro EU figures but I don’t think it’s helping when MP’s should be coming together and working together to implient the country leaving the European Union.

If you want to boil a frog then you don’t put it in a pan of boiling water otherwise it will jump out. You put it in cold and slowly turn up the heat. The same could be said for the UK’s position within the EU over the past forty years.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    They have every right to protest as part of democracy, but the British people have already voted and the majority voted to leave. That is how democracy works. It would extremely undemocraric and worrying if a second referendum were to be had because it would demonstrate that the people were not in control. Therefore it’s time to move on.
    s.
    You’ve always seemed like a sensible type of person on here MM, so I’m genuinely interested to know why you think how another vote, made by a far better informed electorate, with an actual real world choice on the ballot paper, where both sides lies and misguidance will be far easier to expose and which hopefully will be less tainted by electoral crime would be “extremely undemocratic” and demonstrate that the “people are not in control”?

Surely the exact opposite is true?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Not always, but if you offer an opinion that the NHS could get an extra £350 million per week when you know for a absolute fact there isn't a cat in hell's chance of it ever happening, how is that not lying?
    What it actually said on the side of the bus was "We send £350 million a week to the EU. Let's fund the NHS instead".

It doesn't say we would spend 350 million a week on the NHS. This is just another remain lie that has been repeated so often some people believe it to be true. Much like the lie that "We didn't know we were voting to leave the customs union and the single market" when it was plastered all over Cameron's leaflet!

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMagpie View Post
    What it actually said on the side of the bus was "We send £350 million a week to the EU. Let's fund the NHS instead".

It doesn't say we would spend 350 million a week on the NHS.
    We all know what it said. It's been stated a thousand times that it wasn't a promise, but it was clearly intended to mislead voters.

Do you seriously think this Tory government will deliver the utopian NHS in the leave campaign video that driller linked in post #143?

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post

This all stems from forty years ago when the people were asked if they wanted the country to join a common market with 8 countries. In principle you can see the advantages so I can understand why the people voted to join. What the people did not vote for us that over the next forty years the country would edge closer and closer to economic and policial union whereby the countries sovereignty is slowly eroded and power centralised in Brussels led by unelected beaurocrats.

So the referendum result has reversed a decision that was made forty years ago in good faith but turned out to involve us giving away much more.

I note that the Broxtowe MP Anna Soubry, Vince Cable and Sadiq Kahn were in attendance. All very pro EU figures but I don’t think it’s helping when MP’s should be coming together and working together to implient the country leaving the European Union.

If you want to boil a frog then you don’t put it in a pan of boiling water otherwise it will jump out. You put it in cold and slowly turn up the heat. The same could be said for the UK’s position within the EU over the past forty years.

boiled frog; is that with chips or mash?

Quote Originally Posted by nottsun View Post
    boiled frog; is that with chips or mash?
    ‘French’ fries?

Page 16 of 55 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast