+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T The Price Of Coal 1977 BBC Drama

Quote Originally Posted by twinCAT View Post
    Yes it's similar. The difference being that it's in the interest of the general public for the banks to remain open for the whole economy not to collapse. It was only in the interest of the cash cow miners for the pits to remain open.
    Wow, talk about bitter, as i stated in my post, the jobs were there for everyone, you too could've been a cash cow collier...

Quote Originally Posted by millmoormagic View Post
    No, vast majority were very small operations, with dwindling reserves, or reserves which would be much easily won by combining the small pits into bigger concerns.

As for you mentioning the tales of fitters/electricians, do you still believe in santa claus as well?no doubt there's an element of truth in some of them, embellished for effect, but as ever, while those fitters/electricians are sat doing nowt then it's therefore logical to say the machinery was working, the colliers were mining, grafting, earning their corn so to speak......

You mention best job, best pay, best pension why do you think that was?? I'll tell you why, because each and everyone believed in the union, and each other, and action created the better pay, the better conditions, the better pension, what were you doing to make your workplace better? Best job?? i think you'll be hard pressed to find many miners who say it was a good job, great in terms of cameraderie and 'the craic'. All said and done, that same job was also open to you, couldn't hack it though eh?

Another reason British mines may have been more expensive to run, again due to the miner's and the unions, was that they were the safest in the world, something i'm sure you'd be happy to go with??

Someone mentioned the gov't subsidies and the banks, fella we've spent more money bailing banks out than we ever did subsidising the pits...

Real world eh, yeh, real world....some folk will gobble owt.
    Why do you think they were closed then, out of spite maybe?

If it's costing an employer more to pay you than you're earning them in return, what's the point in carrying on? I'm not surprised you all went crackers when they closed; you've never had it so good, and that's why you're so bitter, wanting to blame Margaret for not funding your job at the cost of everyone else.

That's exactly why they were all closed; because they weren't profitable in the long run. I'm friends with many fitters/electricians who served their time in the industry, and from their tales it's not difficult to understand why it wasn't profitable. They all agree it was the best job they've ever had, the best paid job they've ever had, the best pension scheme they've ever had, while also telling stories of how often they were skiving, and did very little work. It was never going to be sustainable with that work ethic. Why should the government have subsidized it? Welcome to the real world now, it must come as a shock to you.
    I'm back to reply having just sat and watched the first part of 'The price of coal'.

Don't forget we've met! You wouldn't have lasted a ferkin shift down a pit if you'd have been put on a button job, never mind several years.

As for reality, I left Silverwood in 92 yeh 26 years ago. I adapted to a new vocation and chapter in my life and successfully worked my way through a career right at the bottom as a part time salesperson right the way through to eventually becoming a store Manager for the current most successful High Street retailer in electronics, I'll let you work that one out who I work for.

Thing is I could go back down a mine tomorrow and switch back with ease and fulfilling my role as a heading worker driving a 30 tonne machine, working in temperatures you only feel on your holidays, could you?

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    I'm back to reply having just sat and watched the first part of 'The price of coal'.

Don't forget we've met! You wouldn't have lasted a ferkin shift down a pit if you'd have been put on a button job, never mind several years.

As for reality, I left Silverwood in 92 yeh 26 years ago. I adapted to a new vocation and chapter in my life and successfully worked my way through a career right at the bottom as a part time salesperson right the way through to eventually becoming a store Manager for the current most successful High Street retailer in electronics, I'll let you work that one out who I work for.

Thing is I could go back down a mine tomorrow and switch back with ease and fulfilling my role as a heading worker driving a 30 tonne machine, working in temperatures you only feel on your holidays, could you?
    "With ease"? That's my whole point brinnie boy.

Why do you think they were closed then, out of spite maybe?

If it's costing an employer more to pay you than you're earning them in return, what's the point in carrying on? I'm not surprised you all went crackers when they closed; you've never had it so good, and that's why you're so bitter, wanting to blame Margaret for not funding your job at the cost of everyone else.
    Haha, why do you think they were closed? spite might be one reason, getting rid of a powerful union to enable you to absolutely pillage the country might be another, take a good look around you right now, the country and it's communities are in a right state, that's been engineered for many a year, and you're one of the people who've allowed it, sat back and watched it happen, all the while blaming the wrong folk. I can say this, i had a go, a good go, and can sleep easy in that knowledge....

Another little snippet of fact for you, my pit, Silverwood was still making big profits when it was closed in 1994, i wonder why that was then, and that goes for many others also...

Just for clarity for you, when we went on that strike, it wasn't about money, ask yourself a question, do you think 200k men go on strike, for a year, for a pay dispute??? The fact is it was obvious to most what it was about, shame you couldn't support that eh.

Haha, why do you think they were closed? spite might be one reason, getting rid of a powerful union to enable you to absolutely pillage the country might be another, take a good look around you right now, the country and it's communities are in a right state, that's been engineered for many a year, and you're one of the people who've allowed it, sat back and watched it happen, all the while blaming the wrong folk. I can say this, i had a go, a good go, and can sleep easy in that knowledge....

Another little snippet of fact for you, my pit, Silverwood was still making big profits when it was closed in 1994, i wonder why that was then, and that goes for many others also...

Just for clarity for you, when we went on that strike, it wasn't about money, ask yourself a question, do you think 200k men go on strike, for a year, for a pay dispute??? The fact is it was obvious to most what it was about, shame you couldn't support that eh.
    £200k a year? I think that explains why there wasn't any profit left.

Very smart....except i already told you it was still making profit......seems you're struggling with reading....

Muppet he was saying 200,000 men went on strike.

What's with the personal abuse
    Mate you've abused every single ex miner with your bull....give it a rest eh?
    Last edited by CAMiller; 17-10-2018 at 10:00 PM.

From the fracking thread:

i for one want us to stop burning fossil fuels, we're killing the planet, we need to use cleaner methods of power generation.
    So you would have ended coal mining too? Why get upset with twinCat then?

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast