+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T The Price Of Coal 1977 BBC Drama

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    I recognised shortly after that I had misjudged raginpup & apologised on here to him which unlike you I am prepared to do when I realise I am wrong
    Perhaps raginpup would be prepared to confirm this
    You were obviously looking for something negative to say but couldn't be arsed to post my apology which by the same token you would have found easily & that just about sums you up
    Humility & you are strangers
    Yes, you realised that he was from the same political tribe as you (save, perhaps, for your views on Islam).

That doesn't alter the fact that it was more than a bit rich for you to call me out for starting arguments in a phone box.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    I'd like to know if Kerr had been in this position how would he have conducted himself when faced with losing his livelihood & in many cases along with many others seeing the break up of his family
    would he have said to the Nottinghamshire,Leicester miners et al Yes I understand your position so it's ok with me for you to continue to work while the rest of us are driven to seeing our families kids etc go without I really don't think so

Come on then Kerr tell us what you would have done
    not criticising what others did
    What would YOU have done?
    It's a very straight forward question
    I'm a bit old fashioned in that I would have expected to be given the national ballot that the NUM constitution envisaged and would have politely declined an invitation to intimidate anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    I'm not sure that it down to you dictate what has or hasn't value to anyone who posts on here.
    I can only go on the fact that no one backs up or agrees with the stuff you are saying on here not even the tories.

Yes, you realised that he was from the same political tribe as you (save, perhaps, for your views on Islam).

That doesn't alter the fact that it was more than a bit rich for you to call me out for starting arguments in a phone box.
    Ever admitted that you are wrong Kerr
    No thought not
    Never been in the "Green" tribe

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    I can only go on the fact that no one backs up or agrees with the stuff you are saying on here not even the tories.
    I'm not sure that it down to you dictate what has or hasn't value to anyone who posts on here.

He's right Roly that's his job

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    I respect the right of anyone to disagree with me on here or in life generally. That's rather the point I was making to you. It's something for you to bear in mind the next time you are calling someone a fascist or making futile calls for people to be banned.

...and yet not long ago you called for me to be banned...Another inconsistency perhaps...
    Last edited by rolymiller; 22-10-2018 at 05:37 PM.

Do you have a link to that, Roly? I can't recall asking for anyone to be banned and certainly don't understand how I could have asked it in respect of someone as harmless as you.

I'm not sure that it is possible to determine who was wrong and who was right in the way that you are trying to.

For the reasons that I have explained, I think the strike was possibly ill conceived, but certainly disastrously executed and handled in a way about as from TU principles as it was possible to be. More importantly for the purposes of this thread, it changed everything.

Any notion of unity had been thrown away when working miners found that their voices counted for nothing within the NUM and, worse still, they found themselves the victims of intimidation that was organised by the very union that was supposed to protect and support them. It was hardly surprising that the UDM was formed and with the miners split in that fashion, the government had a free hand to do what it wished.

The strike had also damaged the market for British Coal as customers established alternative supplies. The attempt by the NUM to, once again, turn out the lights also provided the government to look at how electricity was generated and I think it no coincidence that the 'dash for gas' quickly followed.

In other words, I think the strike hastened the end for the mining industry and took away any possibility of the unions being able to influence what followed.

I don't think that makes Scargill right.

I have never suggested that you struck for money or failed to move on.
    It's entirely possible to determine who was right or wrong, it's all there for you to see, if you want to see it, in your lawyer bubble you obviously don't, eyes wide shut.

You obviously don't learn Kerr, the strike wasn't conceived by the NUM, the plan was there for all to see, i think they called it the Ridley plan? after Nicholas Ridley who devised it, you see, it was planned by the state from the off, probably from your favourite decade the '70's when miners actually held gov't's to account. The gauntlet was thrown down, miners don't back down fella and it was picked up, right or wrong? see the previous sentence.

Of course we failed to gain unity among the whole workforce, that is the only thing you're correct on, intimidation?? once again you're talking from a platform of absolute ignorance, you know nothing of those early days and weeks into the strike, when pickets went to other pits and indeed had many success talking to those wishing to work, without threats or violence, i was there fella, only when it appeared we were having some success did the state machine start it's work, police at checkponts, police at every pit, you know what Kerr, we often outfoxed the police and got to pits, many many times we were at the pit early, us and a couple of coppers, we could've done whatever we wished...guess what happened, the police vans rolled in, they began their 'operation' we were bullied, harrassed, hit, arrested, almost everytime, once again, your knowledge is insufficient to hold the opinion you do.

The strike damaged the market?? fella, they'd built a stockpile of millions of tonnes in preperation, all we got told by the media is that the country was nowhere near running out, were they lying and we were closer than they'd admit??

The end for the mining industry is climate change, being a denier though i suppose you'd disagree....

You never suggested i didn't move on? you suggested the notts miners had, inferring i hadn't, stop playing games...

You asked what had happened to the Notts miners, I answered by pointing out that they had moved on. How you get to that being a slur on you is beyond me.

Of course the government prepared for the strike. The behaviour of the TUs had made it impossible for there not to be a confrontation. In 1974, Heath had run an election upon the question of 'who runs the country'. In the miner's strike, Thatcher asked it again.

How many miners turned up for a polite word with the workers at Orgreave?

Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast