+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T The Price Of Coal 1977 BBC Drama

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    Yeah in the later days it was a breeze
    gf doing what he does best, writing about summat he knows absolutely nowt about...

Quote Originally Posted by millmoormagic View Post
    gf doing what he does best, writing about summat he knows absolutely nowt about...
    Yes from mining families on Dad and Mum's side, know nothing at all.

It was a good, well-paid job at the end, the miners working at Maltby certainly didn't want to give it up.

As an aside, drove past the last surviving pit head in Yorkshire, Barnsley Main, last week and it was surrounded by goths and a film crew so I don't know what was going on there.
    Last edited by great_fire; 18-10-2018 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Yes from mining families on Dad and Mum's side, know nothing at all.

It was a good, well-paid job at the end, the miners working at Maltby certainly didn't want to give it up.

As an aside, drove past the last surviving pit head in Yorkshire, Barnsley Main, last week and it was surrounded by goths and a film crew so i don't know what was going on there.
    How 'good' do you think it was, most ex miners would tell you it was a bit ****e, to be honest, but yeh the pay was decent, if you were on the coal face, on a decent one with few geological issues, bonuses were good, if you wernt, then you were doing twice the graft for half the money....figure that one out, you know nothing gf, nothing of it, being the cousin of an uncle who's grandad delivered your coal doesn't really cut it i'm afraid...

My grandads were both miners, actually one one them was quite a famous (locally) NUM man.

It was crap in those days for sure but for the people working in those last few deep mines it was a good well-paid job, I knew a couple of people working at Maltby who'd been at other pits before they closed.

My grandads were both miners, actually one one them was quite a famous (locally) NUM man.

It was crap in those days for sure but for the people working in those last few deep mines it was a good well-paid job, I knew a couple of people working at Maltby who'd been at other pits before they closed.
    Have you ever worked down the mine gf? your unfounded arrogance is frankly staggering considering you've only ever, a best, visited the coal mining museum....

Have you ever worked down the mine gf? your unfounded arrogance is frankly staggering considering you've only ever, a best, visited the coal mining museum....
    Even when it was **** some miners loved it because of the comradeship.

The NUM grandad made it sound like a great lark, all the scams they used to pull on the managers.

Even when it was **** some miners loved it because of the comradeship.

The NUM grandad made it sound like a great lark, all the scams they used to pull on the managers.
    Indeed, the cameraderie was second to none, that doesn't make it a 'good' job....

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    Funny old world
    Both my Grandads worked in the pit & they both hated it,however,they hated Thatcher more & both agreed that she should be shut down.
    Wouldn't employ you as a proof reader

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    Wouldn't employ you as a proof reader
    Wouldn't apply for the job

Indeed, the cameraderie was second to none, that doesn't make it a 'good' job....
    What does make a good job then?

Was better than working in retail or a call centre which are the jobs that have replaced mining (in the later years again).

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast