+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T The Price Of Coal 1977 BBC Drama

O/T The Price Of Coal 1977 BBC Drama

I know Monty and many more are interested in these kind of local films etc .

First broadcast in 1977 and directed by Ken Loach the two dramas are probably the closet films I've encountered that captured the essence of mining life .

Part one is comedy gold and concentrates on a visit by Prince Charles to a local pit .

Part two is a harrowing story of a mining disaster with tragic losses of life , very emotional and filmed in part underground .

Superb viewing .

Part one .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AHDWivEEddo

Filmed in my village Thorpe Hesley ??

Quote Originally Posted by hotun View Post
    Filmed in my village Thorpe Hesley ??
    Remember seeing them filming it as I was working in Thorpe Hesley at the time. Don't think Charles visited though or there would have been a statue erected

Plenty of erections in Thorpe Hesley🤗

A few different accents feature. Dee-dah , Rotherham, Barnsley, West Yorkshire. The accent inspector will be up in arms.
    And don't get him started on Ken Loach!

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I know Monty and many more are interested in these kind of local films etc .

First broadcast in 1977 and directed by Ken Loach the two dramas are probably the closet films I've encountered that captured the essence of mining life .

Part one is comedy gold and concentrates on a visit by Prince Charles to a local pit .

Part two is a harrowing story of a mining disaster with tragic losses of life , very emotional and filmed in part underground .

Superb viewing .

Part one .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AHDWivEEddo
    Animal, this is a subject very close to me as I was once a coal miner. Seen this a few times and in certain places it portrayed just how pit life was in the day. The lad carrying his mate on his back because he'd got paint on his boots was classic but probably something you'd probably have come across on the day.

''Move that brick and'........'Well paint it white then' or words to that effect. Another prime example of what would have happened had the brick been removed.

Even in my short tenure as a miner, 14 years with 1 off for the strike, a young lad lost his life while working with his twin brother, such were the dangers of working underground.

You'll probably have me watching this again now.....

Animal, have you ever seen the film 'The brave don't cry' starring John Gregson?. This too was about a mining pit disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Animal, this is a subject very close to me as I was once a coal miner. Seen this a few times and in certain places it portrayed just how pit life was in the day. The lad carrying his mate on his back because he'd got paint on his boots was classic but probably something you'd probably have come across on the day.

''Move that brick and'........'Well paint it white then' or words to that effect. Another prime example of what would have happened had the brick been removed.

Even in my short tenure as a miner, 14 years with 1 off for the strike, a young lad lost his life while working with his twin brother, such were the dangers of working underground.

You'll probably have me watching this again now.....

It explains why feelings run so deep in this area about what Thatcher did to the industry & the area which has still not recovered

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    It explains why feelings run so deep in this area about what Thatcher did to the industry & the area which has still not recovered
    Name:  content_bhvcahwcmaagw-0_png-large.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  18.7 KB

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast