+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The FA Cup

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    Whoa, whoa whoa........a night game in a 3rd-rate competition?......no way do we pull 6,000....2,500 to 3,000 absolute tops....we pulled in just over 1,000....that is hardly a boycott IMO

ps glad to see a post without insults xxxx
    Just another view on the subject.

Since the check a trade has U23 / development teams in (Not senior premiership teams) and the fa cup only allows senior teams (albeit they are allowed to play u23 players) and you have no problem with that...

What would you think about having u23 teams in the fa cup from either the first round or the preliminaries?

Quote Originally Posted by caj85 View Post
    Just another view on the subject.

Since the check a trade has U23 / development teams in (Not senior premiership teams) and the fa cup only allows senior teams (albeit they are allowed to play u23 players) and you have no problem with that...

What would you think about having u23 teams in the fa cup from either the first round or the preliminaries?
    Caj - I have never really offered an opinion on U23 teams in any of the Cup competitions, in the Checkatrade competition they are designated as such and in the FA Cup, the "big boys" have been packing their teams with youngsters and reservists for years now, particularly in the early rounds.

My argument was purely the hypocrisy of "let's boycott the Checka because this is a possible way for the Prem teams to get U23s into the EFL" ......but errrrrrr "we love the FA Cup because of the romance so we don't mind playing under-strength Prem teams as it gives us a chance of winning...get yerself down the Lane, we're playing Man City's 3rd team"

I'm a fairly easy Pie to please.....give me a half-decent team and my iFollow and I'll watch pretty much anything, including U23s.....sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Hi Tarkers, can I try and add to some of the comments above but put it in a slightly different way.

I'm fortunate enough to have a season ticket to watch a club I have supported for 40 years, a club with a PROUD history, a founder member of the Football League.

We are extremely lucky that to date we still have a Notts County to support, let's be right, we've had a few scrapes with extinction. What I really want is for myself and other supporters for generations to come to be able to enjoy what I currently experience every other Saturday down The Lane but also at every other lower league club that finds themselves in the same precarious situation as ourselves.

Earlier in this thread there was discussion about the prize money and parachute payments paid for essentially failing in the Premier League, relegation is worth approx £175m . . . that's for one team and massively dwarfs the pittance shared out to clubs outside the top two divisions.

The Checkatrade Trophy competition is actually the Football League Trophy, a competition created for the bottom two divisions only and a chance for additional revenue and possibly a Wembley final appearance.

The inclusion of up to 16 Premier League and Championship 'B' teams was introduced by the Football League after PL clubs suggested opportunities for their young starlets to be involved in competitive football matches was few and far between. To put this into perspective it was recently reported that Chelsea have over 40 young players out on loan . . . yes, forty.

Ultimately the PL and Championship would quite happily chuck a sh1t load of dosh at the Football League to allow their 'B' teams to play in the league at the expense of clubs like ours.

Imagine this scenario . . . Notts, have had a terrible season and need a result at home on the last day to avoid relegation to the conference. Our opponents are Florist B who win and send us spiralling into non-league oblivion. It might seem absolute rubbish to think this but I would hazard this could be highly likely if the powers that be ever did get their way.

I'm prattling on a bit now but there are only two things I want from my club for the future, the first is for it to become long term financially sustainable, the second is for the players who put on the shirt to always given nothing but their best for the club crest.

Unfortunately I can see a time in the not too distant future where this could not be the case on both counts and schemes like 'B' teams in league competitions will be the hammer that strikes the final nail in the coffin for many clubs like Notts County.
    My apologies, I forgot to thank you for an excellent, and well-argued reply......it made pleasant reading after all the cries of "idiot" "tw@t" "stupid" "whore" "arse-licker" etc etc etc

With reference to the highlighted section, surely the Chairmen of the various EFL clubs would band together to vote down any such proposals?.......they, mostly, have lots of money invested in the lower 3 leagues and hold the voting power...... and could spot that U23 teams in the league would be the beginning of the end for some of them.

With reference to the highlighted section, surely the Chairmen of the various EFL clubs would band together to vote down any such proposals?.......they, mostly, have lots of money invested in the lower 3 leagues and hold the voting power...... and could spot that U23 teams in the league would be the beginning of the end for some of them.
    You would like to think so wouldn't you, but a vast majority of them were happy to allow these teams into an official lower league competition already. It comes down to the short term and long term intentions of said owners really. Those looking at short term gain and exit strategy may be very happy to take the pay off. Those with a better moral compass and a long term interest in their clubs you would hope will not be influenced by this.

Hopefully B or C teams will never be allowed to grace our leagues. Clubs would as mentioned go bust... what players would we be able to attract as surely it would be better playing for Leeds Utd B in League 2 than any of the existing teams. The loan market would become redundant, the premiership and championship squads would become bigger. Teams like Chelsea would not have to worry about sending 40 players out on loan to get experience they would get that playing for the B and C team.
    I honestly can not see it happening that way. I can’t see how playing B and C teams in the football league would work. Other than to flood the league with 20-30 team names across the 90 or so sides.
    There can not be an EFL chairman that would vote for that.

My argument was purely the hypocrisy of "let's boycott the Checka because this is a possible way for the Prem teams to get U23s into the EFL" ......but errrrrrr "we love the FA Cup because of the romance so we don't mind playing under-strength Prem teams as it gives us a chance of winning...get yerself down the Lane, we're playing Man City's 3rd team".
    Yaaaawn. Your 'hypocrisy' argument has been blown out of the water by many posters on here who have explained quite clearly that the two things are completely different. If you need further explanation just read what most fans are saying on other club's messageboards up and down the country. I think you are only pursuing this ridiculous line because it's me who said it. If I started a post saying "The World is round", you would spend hours searching for reasons why it's flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Yaaaawn. Your 'hypocrisy' argument has been blown out of the water by many posters on here who have explained quite clearly that the two things are completely different. If you need further explanation just read what most fans are saying on other club's messageboards up and down the country. I think you are only pursuing this ridiculous line because it's me who said it. If I started a post saying "The World is round", you would spend hours searching for reasons why it's flat.
    Be careful what you wish for;

https://metro.co.uk/2016/07/19/here-...round-6016710/

So it's not flat?

I can't believe that Tarquin can't see the difference between a team in a competition they don't belong in, and are, I feel, using to get B teams in a 5 league system, and the FA Cup which has been going for 146 years!

Maybe it's the Mexican air, or too much tequila!

Says the guy that spent several posts explaining how, by removing 0,1,2 and 10 from the "0 to 10 ratings" you conveniently reach an average of 6!.....hahahaha....no matter how much you try to argue the point, 6 IS NOT the average of zero and 10.....you need Adult Education classes old boy.

ps...thank you to the two other posters who just made reasonable footy posts on a reasonable footy topic (one that clearly worried some)....WITHOUT resorting to petty point-scoring tactics as witnessed by all on this thread, again.....and we wonder why some posters simply disappear after saying "I've had enough, I'm offski", never to be seen again....yes, yes I know, I'm guilty of it as well sometimes, which is why I occasionally grab an anthology of Somerset Maugham and disappear for a few weeks in an effort to wean myself back onto more promising pastimes....toodles.

Edit.....and as if by magic, Snobber's shadow, MM, appears to back him him up.......yawn......it's like a kiddies playground......Chubby will be here in a bit, now that his lunchbox has been filled ready for his Remoaners March tomorrow......Power to the Sheeple
    Last edited by tarquinbeech; 19-10-2018 at 02:05 PM.

Says the guy that spent several posts explaining how, by removing 0,1,2 and 10 from the "0 to 10 ratings" you conveniently reach an average of 6!.....hahahaha....no matter how much you try to argue the point, 6 IS NOT the average of zero and 10.....you need Adult Education classes old boy.

ps...thank you to the two other posters who just made reasonable footy posts on a reasonable footy topic (one that clearly worried some)....WITHOUT resorting to petty point-scoring tactics as witnessed by all on this thread, again.....and we wonder why some posters simply disappear after saying "I've had enough, I'm offski", never to be seen again....yes, yes I know, I'm guilty of it as well sometimes, which is why I occasionally grab an anthology of Somerset Maugham and disappear for a few weeks in an effort to wean myself back onto more promising pastimes....toodles.
    'petty point-scoring tactics'

Sums up your first paragraph pretty well!

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast