+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Interesting iFollow report by the BBC

Interesting iFollow report by the BBC

Summary.......Clubs receive 70% to 80% of the revenue generated (which is a lot better than I thought), 50,000 UK matches sold (mostly to supporters over 25 miles from the ground) plus 80,000 overseas matches overall from 11,000 overseas individuals from 165 countries.

The EFL is currently conducting an analysis to see whether match attendances have been affected

Full article here https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45894676

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    Summary.......Clubs receive 70% to 80% of the revenue generated (which is a lot better than I thought), 50,000 UK matches sold (mostly to supporters over 25 miles from the ground) plus 80,000 overseas matches overall from 11,000 overseas individuals from 165 countries.

The EFL is currently conducting an analysis to see whether match attendances have been affected

Full article here https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45894676
    The 80% is correct, the argument comes when you consider the potential loss of income through not getting the same number of away fans through the terraces.

Any away fan that decides to watch a game via iFollow rather than travelling to the game will pay their £10 through their iFollow subscription which will be linked most likely to the club they follow.

So assume it is a saturday kick off and Notts are at home to Northampton who you would expect to bring 500-600 fans with them. lets say 100 of them decide to stay at home and watch it on iFollow that means Notts would lose circa approximately £2k in ticket sales pre tax plus whatever sales they miss out on in catering and merch etc. Multiply that by 23 games and you're looking at a £50k deficit for the season.

On the other hand if 100 fans pay £10 that's £800 pre-tax to the away club. This would have the potential for clubs to encourage fans to stay at home and watch on iFollow, but if every club did that they would all actually be losing out in the long run due to a down turn in attendances.

Andy Holt at Stanley has already declared that their club relies heavily on encouraging high away attendances and they are typical of the type of club this would hurt the most.

I'm rushing so apologies for the crude workings out but essentially the streaming of 3pm saturday fixtures, which has been introduced stealth like by the EFL on international breaks, could potentially put many small, lower league clubs out of business.

it will be interesting to see the results of their analysis and I'm really pleased you are starting to take an active interest in this now, I know from your perspective it has been a brilliant scheme and I have no issue with the overseas element of this.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    The 80% is correct, the argument comes when you consider the potential loss of income through not getting the same number of away fans through the terraces.

Any away fan that decides to watch a game via iFollow rather than travelling to the game will pay their £10 through their iFollow subscription which will be linked most likely to the club they follow.

So assume it is a saturday kick off and Notts are at home to Northampton who you would expect to bring 500-600 fans with them. lets say 100 of them decide to stay at home and watch it on iFollow that means Notts would lose circa approximately £2k in ticket sales pre tax plus whatever sales they miss out on in catering and merch etc. Multiply that by 23 games and you're looking at a £50k deficit for the season.

On the other hand if 100 fans pay £10 that's £800 pre-tax to the away club. This would have the potential for clubs to encourage fans to stay at home and watch on iFollow, but if every club did that they would all actually be losing out in the long run due to a down turn in attendances.

Andy Holt at Stanley has already declared that their club relies heavily on encouraging high away attendances and they are typical of the type of club this would hurt the most.

I'm rushing so apologies for the crude workings out but essentially the streaming of 3pm saturday fixtures, which has been introduced stealth like by the EFL on international breaks, could potentially put many small, lower league clubs out of business.

it will be interesting to see the results of their analysis and I'm really pleased you are starting to take an active interest in this now, I know from your perspective it has been a brilliant scheme and I have no issue with the overseas element of this.
    I agree that Saturday matches shouldn't be "live" on iFollow and also agree that the 4 Saturday "International weekends" were slipped in once the EFL spotted the loophole (2 more to come, 17th Nov and 23rd March I notice).

As I've said before, the 6 original midweek matches were split 3 home and 3 away and included such delights as Newport away and Carlisle home and away, so in terms of away support any drop in attendances should be minimal there.....the big "cruncher" comes with how many home fans might stop paying £24? and sit at home for £10.....time will tell.

This is just such a bad idea.

Say it’s a cold, wet November’s night. A regular supporter and his five mates, (watch every home game and pay on the gate) decide to pay the £10 and watch it at one of their houses instead (with the PC linked to his TV).

Instead of £120, Notts are paid £8!!

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    This is just such a bad idea.

Say it’s a cold, wet November’s night. A regular supporter and his five mates, (watch every home game and pay on the gate) decide to pay the £10 and watch it at one of their houses instead (with the PC linked to his TV).

Instead of £120, Notts are paid £8!!
    Pretty much my thoughts. While iFollow is a great idea for overseas fans, it has too many serious repercussions to be considered here.
    I realise that is harsh on the Notts supporters who live a long way from Meadow Lane, but when it tempts fans to watch on telly rather than go to the game it is the first step on a very slippery slope.

Ok, I’m in Spain for a few days … and no I won’t be signing up for iFollow!