+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: OS and Callum Ainley

Angry OS and Callum Ainley

Is anyone getting just a little fed up of reading how much a potential match winner/prodigious talent Callum Ainley is? I only say this as the only evidence (if any) constitutes about 10 mins a game where he does some tricks in midfield. He should be doing them in the box and inviting the tackle/foul. Just when is this talent actually going to show itself where it matters?

Agree. He seems to have gone backwards this year. As to the 'trick', it only seems to be the rolling of his foot on the top of the ball.

Having moaned a few times about Callum Ainley, I just want to give credit where it's due. Callum had a much better game on Saturday. True, there was still little end result but on this occasion that was not down to him. He produced two sizzling ground crosses that 1st Miller and then Charlie couldn't quite react quickly enough to. I also appreciate his obvious attempts to get on the score sheet. All very positive and purposeful. Keep it up Callum, you'll get there if you keep playing in that manner

Still only 20 years old as well

Whenever we have talented young players come through they always have a few sticky patches.

They have to learn how to be a marked man, how to be consistent , how to deal with a bad run and awful lot of positional discipline. It’s rare that all this comes at once.

Excellent point, thn. I can remember Westwood and Murphy struggling to establish themselves before becoming consistent enough to earn big money moves and, going back further, occasional visitors to Gresty Road would have had to strike it lucky to believe that Dele or Luke Varney would raise a million or so.

Of course they don’t all make it, despite the Club’s patience - one thinks of Ben Rix and Fran Tierney - but there’s only one way to find out.