+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who likes to cruise

Normally do a cruise every two years, however, it was three since we last did one before this Septembers and we mainly go with Princess, not to Americanised. Just got back from a cruise down the Med on Sapphire Princess , returned 6th October. Must say the experience was good again, however, the quality of the food has deteriorated somewhat.

Like 9goals say the experience of sailing out of Venice is a memory shall not forget as was leaving Stockholm. St Petersburg was a great place, however, Russia is not a place I would wish to return. Talin is also a great place, like going back a few decades.

People on these cruises tent to be big because they just cannot control their eating habits. Wastage is shocking, I hate it when I see people filling up their plate in the self service areas and then leaving more than they eat.

Land based hol’s for next year as we like to mix it up.

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    True that stripes, the ship did everything they could to get more money out of us. They only thing extra we paid for were some really fetching photos of us in front of a fake backdrop. But that didnt stop em taking more photos later on, especially when disembarking. They displayed some later ones on the funny faces wall in the evening and i had half me shirt hanging out, a trouser leg in me sock and my zip was half open!! as if id pay for that!!
    The thought of a cruise has never really appealed to me until now Phil.

Sounds like following the Albion away though.

May try one of these cruise thingies next year afterall .

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    True that stripes, the ship did everything they could to get more money out of us. They only thing extra we paid for were some really fetching photos of us in front of a fake backdrop. But that didnt stop em taking more photos later on, especially when disembarking. They displayed some later ones on the funny faces wall in the evening and i had half me shirt hanging out, a trouser leg in me sock and my zip was half open!! as if id pay for that!!
    Yes, Its all about extracting cash from a captive audience Phil. We'd already bought a drinks package and the first thing they did was try to up-sell us to a 'premier drinks package' followed by a pitch for the restaurants that have an added price. We kept to the package we had which was fine and still eat at a nice restaurant with table service on the evenings. Tended to avoid the main buffet restaurant on an evening as it was a bit of a scrum tbh so just used it for breakfast/lunch.

We did stay on the ship one full day which was a good way to get our bearings not to mention a well sited sun lounger. On that particular day the ship docked at Civitavecchia so half the ship left to go to Rome. I just thought for £100 how much of Rome would I see so we decided we'd do it another time for a few days. Shows how some families were paying out hundreds of quid for one day just to say they'd seen Rome albeit for a few hours. Overall I enjoyed it, my advice to anyone considering it would be don't book the cheapest as you get what you pay for. Our ship - Marella Dream I'd guess was mid-range but did the job perfectly OK so would use the Marella / Tui line again.

Quote Originally Posted by stripes39 View Post
    Yes, Its all about extracting cash from a captive audience Phil. We'd already bought a drinks package and the first thing they did was try to up-sell us to a 'premier drinks package' followed by a pitch for the restaurants that have an added price. We kept to the package we had which was fine and still eat at a nice restaurant with table service on the evenings. Tended to avoid the main buffet restaurant on an evening as it was a bit of a scrum tbh so just used it for breakfast/lunch.

We did stay on the ship one full day which was a good way to get our bearings not to mention a well sited sun lounger. On that particular day the ship docked at Civitavecchia so half the ship left to go to Rome. I just thought for £100 how much of Rome would I see so we decided we'd do it another time for a few days. Shows how some families were paying out hundreds of quid for one day just to say they'd seen Rome albeit for a few hours. Overall I enjoyed it, my advice to anyone considering it would be don't book the cheapest as you get what you pay for. Our ship - Marella Dream I'd guess was mid-range but did the job perfectly OK so would use the Marella / Tui line again.
    My No1 tip for saving cash. Do it yourself. Never bought a shore trip always used local trains, buses or taxis to get to town.

From Civitavecchia to Rome cost 9 Euros return on the train. Done similar to get to Florence, Pisa, Pompei, Helsinki, Ghent. The only occasion we used an organised tour was in St Petersburg. Booked it thro a local tour company for 2/3rds of the ship price. Back on board we compared notes with others from the official tour and we had got more for less.

Never felt pressurised to buy any thing and found on board prices for a bottle of wine or a pint similar to back home.

For the river cruise used an Aussie line ATP. Found them to be excellent and will definitely use them for a cruise up the Meekong.

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    My No1 tip for saving cash. Do it yourself. Never bought a shore trip always used local trains, buses or taxis to get to town.

From Civitavecchia to Rome cost 9 Euros return on the train. Done similar to get to Florence, Pisa, Pompei, Helsinki, Ghent. The only occasion we used an organised tour was in St Petersburg. Booked it thro a local tour company for 2/3rds of the ship price. Back on board we compared notes with others from the official tour and we had got more for less.

Never felt pressurised to buy any thing and found on board prices for a bottle of wine or a pint similar to back home.

For the river cruise used an Aussie line ATP. Found them to be excellent and will definitely use them for a cruise up the Meekong.
    Yes, we didn't feel pressurised but initially they tried to up-sell all manner of things. We were quite happy with what was included as we booked a decent package at the time of booking.

Agree about excursions. Ended up doing one in Sicily that was organised by the ship that was a complete waste of a morning. Everything else we did ourselves. Having been to 35 or so countries - much with a Lonely Planet guide I reluctantly agreed to do the organised thing but every other trip we did ourselves which was far better. As I say, did enjoy my first cruise but as you imply, you can do stuff yourself and theres no need to have the cruise line hold your hand on shore excursions as it costs ££££.

Went Royal Caribbean 2010 first cruise.Ship was a floating Palace 5 thousand people on board mostly America overweight, loud, very rude ,no manners and self absorbed. Canadians were sound though. Excursions were a bit pricey but not to bad as we had fun exploring new cultures .We had a good family holiday but we weren't hit by Wow factor of a cruising holiday.2016 proved a difficult year with several family bereavements we decided to go away for Christmas. Holidays for that time were silly prices so on the off chance looked at another cruise. We went on Marella Celebration same ship as Phil 1200 people all British around the Persian Gulf we loved every minute of the cruise.Marella cruises are all inclusive so once on board you dont have to spend a penny.Dont upgrade your drinks package as the beer wine and spirits are of good value.Dining they have themed restaurants at a extra cost no need for this either as waiter service restaurants are just as good .There are also self service buffet restaurants again very good but like to to look smart and prefer the waitered restaurants as dont get the chance often. We do shore excursions and found them very competitive compared to RC. With experience we've learnt to say no to the pushy sales people and they just leave you alone. So after a somewhat mixed first cruise were now hooked, dont be put off by previous experiences do plenty of homework and go for it .

Me and “she who must be obeyed” have cruised a few times. P & O...became Princess Cruises...and I think something else now. The Med was good, Caribbean average but Inside Passage was the best. (Vancouver to Alaska)
    As an aside, there was some filming going on. A Baywatch film “murder in Glacier Bay” Stunning girls...Carmel someone, I seem to remember and of course David Hasselhof (?)
    Notwithstanding a good holiday, albeit Princess Cruises were 80% yanks.’

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Cruising used to be fun but with numberplate recognition and CCTV the chances of being done like David Pleat and Hugh Grant are just too dangerous.
    You cheeky boy! My thought exactly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)