+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Stevenage

Stevenage

Is anyone else bothering????? How about a 3-0 loss??
    When is DA going to realise that playing Wintle and Jones too deep/square/narrow is not going to increase our goals tally anytime soon?
    As these two are not getting involved in drives forward into the box then we cannot afford the luxury of carrying Ainley who is mostly anonymous. We need somebody off that will suddenly appear in the box. Miller can do this but has played too deep. Give Reilly a go in this position where he doesn't have main striker responsibility.
    An alternative formation would be to add a midfielder (Lowery leaps out here!) which would mean that Jonah COULD drive forward with the ball (which he used to be good at)and then give Charlie a free role across the pitch behind the front two. He shouldn't be chained to left wing.

One final moan. We need to up the pace in all areas of the pitch. Too many times the ball just gets played around at the back giving the opposition as much time as they like to sort themselves out. I include the goalkeeper in this. Too many times we see the goalkeeper get the ball and everyone stops and then slowly saunters into some pre-determined position. We often complain about wasting a kickout by the keeper but if it was done quickly _ who knows we might actually catch defences on the hop.

Some good points there but personally based on the last few matches I would drop Wintle and Jones
    Ainley is a confidence player and he will score, just when.

Like Sterling no goals for 20 plus games and then 2. Like waiting for a bus and then 2 come along

Score 1-2

PS I am trying gazan

Drop Wintle AND Jones....and play who?
    I suppose Pickering could play midfield, but alongside who? Lowery, Ainley, Finney?
    I'm trying too.

Well as you ask ……….Pickering and NG, play o'connor lb and Hunt at ch

Agree with out0lunch for starters. Would at the moment drop Jones and Ainley. Think we need a 3 man midfield of Ng, Pickering, and Wintle. Much more bite and mobility.

As to Lowery, please no. Like every other Academy graduate I would also like to see him succeed. But in my opinion the management have to have intensive one on one coaching for him. He really has to go back to the drawing board to learn what the responsibilities and duties of a midfielder are. No more of this running all over where he pleases.

For a successful midfield, we need bite, drive and simple passing ability. Green could provide the first and second. Jonah is good at driving forward with the ball and shooting fairly accurately. Lowery provides passing ability. Wintle is calm and has good anticipation- unfortunately he has been getting into the habit of giving the ball away too easily and in crucial areas recently. I don't know enough about Finney. We also have Perry who certainly adds bite and Harry P who can cross, shoot and is good with a dead ball. Whoever is chosen/available, we need minimum3 midfielders to cover all bases.
    This means we have to be careful in choosing the remaining 3. There can be no room for flighty/ anonymous performances so ...
    For me I stick to my midfield 3 of Jones + Lowery + Wintle/Green/ Perry. Up front Bowery picks himself and I think Miller needs an extended run. That leaves, for me, another automatic selection .. Charlie.
    Harry P will have to stay at left back for the moment.
    When Nolan and Green get back, the selection situation is going to be quite interesting.