+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Match Thread vs Bury FC 20.10.18

Aiming high in the current circumstances smacks of "We're too good/big to go down". I think that's a dangerous attitude, expecting results will come just because we're Notts County. I well remember players being interviewed around Xmas 96 saying that we could still make the play-offs. We finished with the lowest points total ever in the 3 points era and went 20 games without a win.

Anybody talking about promotion has a head full of magic.

We have been sleepwalking into non league football for a long time now and this could be the season and we won't get back.

Some of those players are not even National league north/south standard.I dread who we will get in the FA cup.

I know what i'am talking about.I watch a lot of football and enjoy it but watching Notts is just a chore nowdays.

50 points? How the hell are we going to get that many?

Also a lot of the players don't seem to give a toss.It's ****ing embarrassing telling people you support Notts county.

I've just about had enough of it.

I bet MK Dons can't wait to play us !!

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Why on Earth would anyone want to kill off that thinking? Sorry but lowering the target won't help motivate anyone.
    Because we need to wake up and open our eyes to the reality that at this point in time we have been an inconsistent and poor side to date, and one in which if we are not careful will end up sleep walking into a relegation battle. Perhaps this reality might provide the motivation to get us climbing up the table.

We are 10 points behind Bury who occupy 7th place and 3 points clear of relegation. Only once the gap to the playoffs becomes less than that to relegation should any thoughts turn towards possible promotion, and that is not going to happen any time soon.

I’ve seen enough this season to realise at the moment defensively we are weak and fragile and that is our major problem. We can’t lose a game by the odd goal, we end up completely collapsing. That points to a fundamental lack of confidence. This is something that HK will no doubt be working hard to address as he has done previously. He’s got a job on and it’s going to take until January before we can do anything further about it as well in terms of bringing in new players and shipping players out.

How this club keeps ending up sliding down the football league is beyond me. Actually it’s not. We’ve just not had any consistency at the club for years. Look where Accrington sit tonight 4th in league one and fair play to them. Likewise Luton and Coventry are all doing well at that level, yet this time last season we were competing with them. Now we are miles apart.

There are much smaller clubs doing and have done far better than we have for some years. For every one decent season we must have five poor ones. We never seem to be able to build on the season that’s gone before.
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 20-10-2018 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    So the mini break has killed what momentum we had built up going into it.

Although part of me thinks we have paid dear for Milsom being sent off and missing from the centre of the park.

I’m hoping that what it has done is finally kill of anyone thinking we are going to get promoted. Our target for this season has first and foremost got to be to get to 50 points. Everything else is just a pipe dream.

Once we won our first game we went on a run and now we’ve fell again heavily it will be interesting to see how we react. The good thing is we have another game coming up, the bad thing is it’s away at MK Dons who are up near the top so it will not be easy.

One thing this squad is and that is fragile mentally. They are a confidence team. When things are good they go and can do it as we saw since HK came in and turned it around. When things are down or we concede we fall to pieces. Like we did today.

I’ve got confidence HK will have learned from today and sort it.
    Exactly this. We just don't have the battling, mentally tough players to dig in and grind out results, or to pick their heads up when behind.

Bringing in Vaughan as the experienced head in midfield was a massive error of judgement. He simply isn't cut out for L2 football - he might be good on the ball, but he lacks all of the prerequisite qualities needed to be a decent lower league midfielder - the ability to tackle, run, head, battle and shout. We should have gone for Neal Bishop instead.

Or look at it this way: the combined impact of Husin, Vaughan, Patching, Crawford and Kellett is no where near that of Ryan Yates. I'd swap the lot in exchange for him or someone like him.

We're a gutless team. Sure, we might look good when everything goes our way, but go a goal behind early on Tuesday night and you'll see our heads drop. It's embarrassing. This is the fourth division for ****s sake.
    Last edited by slack_pie; 21-10-2018 at 05:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    How this club keeps ending up sliding down the football league is beyond me. Actually it’s not. We’ve just not had any consistency at the club for years. Look where Accrington sit tonight 4th in league one and fair play to them. Likewise Luton and Coventry are all doing well at that level, yet this time last season we were competing with them. Now we are miles apart.
    I have thought the same thing. How is it that no matter who's in charge, no matter how much money we invest, we always seem to end up in some kind of crisis. In fact, it often seems that the more we try to progress, through new managers and expensive new players, the worse we end up.

I can imagine other clubs with the same level of investment would just go ahead and get promoted. Because they'd use that money to get a decent manager and decent players. Why can't we just do that?

This season is almost unbelievable. I mean we splashed the cash around over the summer, got all excited and over confident, and ended up - yet again - with a totally unbalanced squad filled that is incapable of competing at the most basic level on the pitch.

Accrington are a shining light for other teams. I swear, every time I check their results they've won or drawn with a goal from McConville or Kee.

It's gloom and doom time for me yet again. Milsom is NOT the answer, nor was dropping Duffy. Milsom is only one player and if we expect him come on dressed as Harry Potter and wave his magic wand over ten other players and all is well, then Voldemort will quickly jump out of the shadows onto the pitch and wave his HIS magic wand of reality and it won't take 90 minutes for it to show whose wand is the more powerful.

Even Merlin would struggle to get anything phenominal out of this bunch of misfits. It's as if Notts County F.C. had been given their choice of magnificent jigsaw puzzles and just picked a handful out of each and expected Harry Kewell them to fit together like a perfect storm of a team.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    It's gloom and doom time for me yet again. Milsom is NOT the answer, nor was dropping Duffy
    Duffy has NOT been dropped, he's injured.

Milsom may not be the long term answer to this sh!tty season BUT he played in all but the Macclesfield game of our 'little run'. Our midfield works better with him in it and we don't have another player of his type in our ridiculously imbalanced squad.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post

Even Merlin would struggle to get anything phenominal out of this bunch of misfits.
    He would succeed - given Arthur chance.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678