+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolton Wanderers Post Match Thoughts

Said the other day I'd be happy as long as we don't lose. Well we've not lost and I feel gutted. We deserved to win that one. Simple as that.

Bottom Three come Wednesday night?

I wouldn't bet against it.

Once again, negative tactics shown at home with one up front. After 20 or so minutes it was obvious for all to see that Bolton were there for the taking but what does Warne run with again, yes , 1 up front.

Smith must be feeling so dejected trying to man handle two centre backs on his own, with little or no support from the midfield who are always 2-3 yards off his knock on/down headers that just role freely to the opposing defence.

When is Warne going to give Vassell a run in behind Smith and get him off the wing? Vassell played for Blackpool down the middle not on the wing. Today proved ineffective so was subbed, not his fault in my opinion.

GET IN THE BOTTOM THREE AND THE ROT WILL SET IN.

Gutted.

The really disappointing thing, as I've said before (sorry!) is that in defence and midfield we actually look quite good in this league - certainly don't look like relegation material. Of players from last season that I thought would struggle, Vaulks seems to have settled now, Williams, Mattock, Smith, Towell, Semi all look quite fine in the Champ - only Newell I think is struggling (looked off the pace to me). The big problem, and why we will struggle despite enormous efforts from all, and of whom all I am immensely proud, is that we have no real quality in cutting edge - either reliable scorers, or a particular method of opening teams up and/or creating chances. Smith was immense today, but without a couple of regular goalscorers backing him up, will lead to many goals.

In short, the most we'll score in most games is one, of which we will have to work bloody hard for! And to be frank, in this league, most teams are likely to score at least one, even with our overall solid shape and resilience.

Can't see a solution, but great that we're fighting and making a go of it. Proud of them all. UTM

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkly View Post
    After being on top for so long and finally getting the goal it feels like a loss today. I felt we sat back too much after our goal. We stopped taking the long throws and generally were more negative. With them having to push up more I thought we could get a second and kill the game. At 1 - 0 we were always one defensive error from losing two points and that's what happened.
    Of course, we could have gone for it and not got a second (always possible with our terrible chances to goals ratio) and still concede. We would then be criticised for not sitting on the lead.
    As usual maximum effort from our lads but lacking the quality to finish. Poor defending for the equaliser.
    A couple of spozzy away wins wouldn't go amiss
    Boro away? That would have to be spozzy!

(PART 2 seeing as my other post was put on here)

Fine lines.

Great effort from the team, tactics? Fed up of repeating the same old thing in 1 up front doesn't work in EVERY game.

Now officially the Championship's lowest goal scorers.

Chances a plenty, poor finishing all round apart from Vaulks superb free kick.

Smith was very unlucky not to have scored a beauty today.

Mattock should not have let the ball bounce only to get out muscled by Donaldson, with the inevitable equaliser.

Great display from Rodak today and the penalty save was outstanding.

We're triers but, it ain't good enough when you've dropped 6 points in your last 3 home games when all 9 points were there for the taking.
    Last edited by Brin; 20-10-2018 at 06:20 PM.

Only thing that might save us being in the bottom 3 on Weds night is that all the teams below us have got hardish mid week games. Think if we lose at Preston though we will will be in bottom 3 though. We have to start picking up points away we cant rely on winning all our home games it aint gonna happen as well as we have done this season there.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Only thing that might save us being in the bottom 3 on Weds night is that all the teams below us have got hardish mid week games. Think if we lose at Preston though we will will be in bottom 3 though. We have to start picking up points away we cant rely on winning all our home games it aint gonna happen as well as we have done this season there.
    Roly, thing is, Warne is so predictable now with his set up that opposing Managers must sleep very easy all week knowing how to nullify Smith therefore denying us ever scoring from open play.

Couldn't go today but we need to learn how to close out games.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Roly, thing is, Warne is so predictable now with his set up that opposing Managers must sleep very easy all week knowing how to nullify Smith therefore denying us ever scoring from open play.
    Spot on Brin.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    Couldn't go today but we need to learn how to close out games.
    We don’t need to close out games. We need to learn how to score goals.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast