+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Sorry Robinson, but it's time to go

Sorry Robinson, but it's time to go

There is no way he can survive the season playing like we are and given where we are now sitting.

To be on five points in mid October having taken one point from home games against Accies, Livingston and Saint Johnstone is not acceptable. The football we are playing is dire to non existent and the team are completely devoid of confidence.

We had a crowd of just over 3,000 today and that number will only drop further.

Last season's Cup runs are the only 'grace' Stephen Robinson has and I thoroughly enjoyed them and the feelgoos factor we got from them, but we can't live in the past, we need to accept that we are in a relegation struggle and we are sinking without a trace. We need to change the manager asap.

It's not good enough. the cup runs mask our form, we have won something like 4 games from 19 at home the past year. thats relegation form. We didn't move on in the summer or sign the correct player needed to change the way we play. High balls up to the guys up front for them to chase is a very easy tactic to suss out as other managers now know how we will approach the game, it's the same every week, "we never got enough crosses in the box" Robinson says the same thing week after week, thats because opposition managers know what you are going to do you f****** idiot. change tactics. have a plan b. He says the subs never had an impact when they came on today, no s**, thats because they are simply not good enough. Ah f*** it. Am sick of it.....

Is Robinson for real he’s asking the players to stand up and be counted,but his job is to put the right players on the pitch for the job in hand. According to him we were well in the game for 60 minutes pity it lasts 90+ minutes. He said we created numerous chances today,I can’t remember Saints keeper having to make a decent save. We have scored 8 goals in 9 league games six of these came in two games against Rangers and Dundee so in other words we have scored 2 goals in 7 games very poor ratio by any standards. The only time we looked like creating anything was when we played the ball on the deck. It is blatantly obvious to everyone it seems other than Robinson that 3-5-2 doesn’t work, Main and Bowman together isn’t working, Frear will never make an out and out winger as he looks incapable of passing water never mind getting past an opposition defender. There is no structure to our defending at corners,dead balls or throw ins. I don’t know what we practise in training but it definitely doesn’t include shooting practise from outside the area our players look incapable and terrified of trying it and are attempting to basically hope they walk the ball into the net. Our free kicks and corners are taken with a hit and let’s see what happens nothing appears to having been tried and tested on the training pitch. IMO lose to St. Mirren and Robinson has to go. Any other manager with our current run of results would have already been sacked his stay of execution due to two cup finals is well passes its sell by date,

I feel like a broken record going on about it, but it all comes down to Robinson's style of play and his dreadful summer transfer business. Absolutely nothing was done to address the fact that we have zero creativity in that team and now teams have sussed out our physical, long ball tactics we have nothing to offer.

What's so concerning is that in our really bad seasons in the past we have always had at least one player who you could look to and think "he can make a difference today". In 2002/03 we had McFadden, in Malpas' season we had McDonald and then McCormack. Even in the playoff season we had guys like Marvin Johnson, Ainsworth and McDonald...guys you knew had it in them to offer something a bit different and add that bit of quality when it mattered most. We currently have nothing in the current side and we are awful to watch. We will be lucky to get over the 3,000 crowd mark if things continue as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post
    I feel like a broken record going on about it, but it all comes down to Robinson's style of play and his dreadful summer transfer business. Absolutely nothing was done to address the fact that we have zero creativity in that team and now teams have sussed out our physical, long ball tactics we have nothing to offer.

What's so concerning is that in our really bad seasons in the past we have always had at least one player who you could look to and think "he can make a difference today". In 2002/03 we had McFadden, in Malpas' season we had McDonald and then McCormack. Even in the playoff season we had guys like Marvin Johnson, Ainsworth and McDonald...guys you knew had it in them to offer something a bit different and add that bit of quality when it mattered most. We currently have nothing in the current side and we are awful to watch. We will be lucky to get over the 3,000 crowd mark if things continue as they are.
    Thats pretty much it. We've never been a free scoring team under Robinson, but until this season had a decent defence. This season our attack is lacking in confidence and toothless, so one goal is enough to beat us. I just can't see how Robinson can turn it around. Other teams like Livingston and St Johnsone are now playing our physical long ball game better than us and we have no Plan A or B now. He is risk averse and reticent to make changes when they are plainly required. Time for him to move on.

You got it in one word, Wellup4it - Toothless. The real difference between this team and the one of a year ago is inability to score. Louis Moult carried a scoring threat which our current strikers lack. Bowman and Main are workhorses; Louis, by comparison, is a thoroughbred. He could take half chances (think of the second goal at Pittodrie) that neither of yesterday’s strikers could. We managed without him for the second half of last season and the cup run kept the fans, in the main, happy. The midfield does lack creativity, but so did last season’s. I was impressed by Turnbull, so maybe there is a glimmer of hope there.
    Here’s “controversy”: play Sammon and Johnson up front. Bench Main and Bowman. Sammon scored 10 goals with a struggling Thistle. He’s pretty good on the deck (not in the air) and Johnson is a penalty box player (I think). Give them a go and with Turnbull able to pass a ball it might work. And while we are at it, drop Hartley. Too prone to foul and not sure his attitude is helping his colleagues. Give Tait the armband. If we still insist on a back three, here’s my team to try and turn things round:

Carson
    Aldred McHugh Dunne
    Cadden Rose Turnbull Campbel Tait
    Johnson Sammon

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Gowboy View Post
    You got it in one word, Wellup4it - Toothless. The real difference between this team and the one of a year ago is inability to score. Louis Moult carried a scoring threat which our current strikers lack. Bowman and Main are workhorses; Louis, by comparison, is a thoroughbred. He could take half chances (think of the second goal at Pittodrie) that neither of yesterday’s strikers could. We managed without him for the second half of last season and the cup run kept the fans, in the main, happy. The midfield does lack creativity, but so did last season’s. I was impressed by Turnbull, so maybe there is a glimmer of hope there.
    Here’s “controversy”: play Sammon and Johnson up front. Bench Main and Bowman. Sammon scored 10 goals with a struggling Thistle. He’s pretty good on the deck (not in the air) and Johnson is a penalty box player (I think). Give them a go and with Turnbull able to pass a ball it might work. And while we are at it, drop Hartley. Too prone to foul and not sure his attitude is helping his colleagues. Give Tait the armband. If we still insist on a back three, here’s my team to try and turn things round:

Carson
    Aldred McHugh Dunne
    Cadden Rose Turnbull Campbel Tait
    Johnson Sammon

Thoughts?
    There's no controversy in playing Sammon and Johnson up front, simply because the current front pairing isn't working. For me Bowman is a workhorse, again very easy to defend against, stand up to the physical challenge and you have him sussed. Main is a better player but has a chronic lack of confidence at the moment. the return of Dunne was a plus and Turnball was man of the match by a country mile yesterday, maybe a further dip into the reserves may be required soon. We have to turn it around sooner rather than later but I can't see it happening any time soon as Robinson will continue the blood and snotter approach rather than play a bit of football on the deck.

Quote Originally Posted by wellin View Post
    There's no controversy in playing Sammon and Johnson up front, simply because the current front pairing isn't working. For me Bowman is a workhorse, again very easy to defend against, stand up to the physical challenge and you have him sussed. Main is a better player but has a chronic lack of confidence at the moment. the return of Dunne was a plus and Turnball was man of the match by a country mile yesterday, maybe a further dip into the reserves may be required soon. We have to turn it around sooner rather than later but I can't see it happening any time soon as Robinson will continue the blood and snotter approach rather than play a bit of football on the deck.
    Ma 2 bob's worth ...
    6 points from our next 2 games is effectively a 12 pointer - we get that and it's a different scenario. However, the big concern for me is the total lack of ownership on the ball by our experienced pro's. As soon as we got the ball yesterday, there was no-one (apart from young 'un's Turnbull and Campbell), who looked as though they wanted it, and only them had any clue what to do with it. That's got to be seen in training surely?!
    And ... didn't think I'd say this, but we sure missed McHugh yesterday!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)