+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts from the Goatherder .....Notts v Bury

Thoughts from the Goatherder .....Notts v Bury

Oh dear, oh dear.....I've no idea if Bury are bound for promotion, but Notts ain't....that was dreadful and a waste of 90 minutes of anyone's life who isn't a masochist!

Let's start with the positives (gulps slightly).....Fitz was not at fault for any of the goals, but possibly could have made more of an effort from the penno, was he wrong-footed?......Ward, rightly IMO, got so fed up with Bury waltzing through our non-existent backs, that he launched into two fair tackles that left the Bury attackers reeling, unfortunately they got up, dusted themselves off, and carried on scoring at will.....Aless and Thomas buzzed around looking busy, but apart from a half-chance to Aless in the 1st half, never really bothered Bury......Stead tried his normal 100% to to no effect.

Now the negatives, where do I start?
    Toots - Something is surely wrong with this guy.....last year's player has left the building and we are stuck with a doppelganger. Refuses to tackle, merely shadows his man to the edge of the penno box, then lets him cut inside at will and create havoc for the CBs to clear up. Even when he gets the ball he spunks it away aimlessly half the time.
    Turley - Decent in the air, but Bury rarely played it in the air. They ran at us with pace and dinked the ball into HUGE spaces for Bury players to run into.
    Ward - The best and most-determined of the back 4, but most of the time was spent scurrying to try to stop the Bury attacks, mostly from the Bury left wing.
    Evina - Mehhhh. Poor at the back, decent going forward...ish
    Hewitt - Rightly taken off by Kewell. Did practically nothing to halt the Bury attacks, so resorted to two childish trips on the Bury MOM, Mayor....another mehhhhh from Tarkers.

Up front we collectively looked busy..ish.......but to no avail. Steady was once again double-marked most of the game......Aless and Thomas tried hard but created zilch.....Enzio had one decent run in the 2nd half but spent the rest of the 90 minutes running round in circles like a dog chasing his tail......Hemmings went completely AWOL, I had to keep checking if he was on the pitch.....likewise Dennis when he came on.....Vaughan, a huge mehhhh. What was the point. Should have left Hewitt on to get his deserved red card for impersonating a footballer.

Summary - Notts were back to their earlier pre-Kewell form, awful, dreadful, stinkier than a week-old dead dog (there's one right outside my gate rotting in the sun.....it honks......even the circling vultures won't go near it!!)

Any complaints about this write-up can be sent to TarkersIsaTosser@IDon'tCare

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    Any complaints about this write-up can be sent to TarkersIsaTosser@IDon'tCare
    Oi! My email bounced back with virus attached. That's not very sporting!

Yep. Sums it up well mate. Having a weekend in Manchester and Notts go and spoil it . A special mention must go to Enzio though , I have never witnessed a player so disinterested. Oh, and that prick who spent most of the second half arguing with the stewards.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Yep. Sums it up well mate. Having a weekend in Manchester and Notts go and spoil it . A special mention must go to Enzio though , I have never witnessed a player so disinterested. Oh, and that prick who spent most of the second half arguing with the stewards.
    My thoughts exactly Navy. And Tarkers. Painfully bad. And all because Milsom got himself banned - discuss....

Quote Originally Posted by wiseoldmagpie View Post
    My thoughts exactly Navy. And Tarkers. Painfully bad. And all because Milsom got himself banned - discuss....
    I'd say you're right re. Milsom. Does anyone know when his ban ends? I've lost track with all the delay in games.

Goat herding? Is that what’s it’s called nowadays?

Now matter how upset we are today at today’s result/performance, it’s reassuring to know that at least you’re not Alan Hardy who’s spent a fortune to turn a promotion chasing team into that.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    I'd say you're right re. Milsom. Does anyone know when his ban ends? I've lost track with all the delay in games.
    Milsom is eligible to play next Saturday v Swindon - another really 'easy' game HA HA HA !

Quote Originally Posted by karl wheatly View Post
    Milsom is eligible to play next Saturday v Swindon - another really 'easy' game HA HA HA !
    Cheers Karl, maybe a bit easier with him in the setup.

I commented literally after about two and a half minutes of the game that we didn't look right. Just like the pre-Kewell games, you could tell, right from the start, that weren't going to turn up. It looked too easy to play through and around us, like it's just a matter of time until the opposition score.

When we're in possession, we have no time or space. Our forwards, when finding themselves with the ball at their feet in the attacking third, seem almost startled by the situation, like it's something they genuinely didn't think would happen. What do they do all week on the training ground? Defensively, we were straight back to the worst days of August - backing off, backing off some more, jogging aimlessly alongside their player as he meanders into the box, then allowing him to shoot or cross at will.

Granted, I think it's fair to say Bury have a better team than us. They have some real quality and experience in Danns and Maynard. But we made them look like world beaters. Again, the imbalance of our squad was laid bare for all to see - countless attacking midfielders but not a single effective centre mid to replace Milsom. Vaughan and Allesandra centre mid away from home - that's just madness.

We have too many players who look good one week and awful the next. The problem is, we don't have enough characters in the team to turn around a poor performance and get the rest of the team going. Nobody had a good game, but Tootle and Enzio were particularly poor. The former seems to have been studying at the Elliott Hewitt School for Full Backs.

So, back to where we started in terms of performance and desire. But at least we're not rooted to the bottom anymore. At least none of us will be getting carried away with any delusions of a playoff surge this season. We're MILES behind where we need to be. A big few games for HK and the team coming up.
    Last edited by slack_pie; 20-10-2018 at 07:08 PM.

How on earth can we now be so dependent on a 31-year-old who couln’t even get into our own team last season and couldn’t earn anything more than a six-month contract at a rival League 2 side in the summer? I think Milsom is OK, but we’re in a mess if he’s our best hope.

The problem today was that yet again we were a soft touch, with zero steel in the side, players yards off their man and the forwards unable to hold the ball up. Thomas contributes nothing, and playing him and Enzio in the same side is always a recipe for disaster - especially if it means playing the latter on the right, where he contributes nothing.

We need to keep things simple and grind out results away from home, like we did at Northampton and Macclesfield. I suspect Bury can’t believe their luck the way we set up against them; it was Exeter and Lincoln all over again.

Tootle had another poor game, but what alternative do we have at right back? Oxlade Chamberlain has disappeared without trace (injury or exile after his nightmare against Exeter?), Hewitt is hopeless there and Kennedy-Williams looked a little raw against Newcastle’s kids.

What are the odds that Brisley is back in midfield against Franchise FC, a ground I can’t ever remember us winning at.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast