+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/t town centre

O/t town centre

UL today millers.
    I was a bit early for my eye test .
    So popped in for a coffee in shop next to spec savers.
    Excellent. Clean decent prices. Polite.
    Give it a go.

This will upset the O/T brigade,no political reference,no racist comments & no ***ist comments.Come on crash you can do better & how the hell did you notice all this before your eye test.

A bit early so you went in the coffee shop?
    A likely story
    I bet you thought you were going into Specsavers

I was delivering in Barnsley town centre yesterday and it puts our town centre to shame, every shop was occupied and so many shoppers it was like Rotherham of the 70’s.
    Why have we still got 2 burned out buildings on corporation street when the fires were over10 years ago? It looks like post war Dresden!

Well me and the wife went to Barnsley last month. The shops in the town centre were still open but on the other streets coming off from the centre there were quite a few closed down. Half the stalls in the new market were also empty. We won’t be going back anytime soon. Not much different to Rotherham to be honest.
    Agree about the burnt out buildings though. They need to be pulled down.
    Last edited by crookadile; 21-10-2018 at 10:28 AM.

Rotherham and Barnsley have decided to go two distinctly differing routes with regards regenerating and rejuvenating their towns. Neither is right or wrong.

Barnsley has decided that it will focus on retail and leisure, but the retail is more around a market, independent trader offering.

Rotherham has decided, rightly for us in my opinion, that the centre will never again be a retail magnet. The proximity of meadowhall sees to that.

After years of "blaming" Sheffield for its demise, Rotherham is now seeking to emulate what salford did in relation to manchester. The aim is for people to live in the town, use the town for leisure purposes but commute into Sheffield for employment. The tram train is a start on this. The council will start to badge parkgate as the towns retail quarter. The town centre will, so the plan goes, start to include much more housing (apartments), bars, restaurants, cinema but very little by way of retail.

It worked in salford, as soon as salford stopped seeing manchester as the nemesis and started actually using manchester as a reason to be in salford (due to transport links, etc) then the city absolutely boomed.

Will it work in Rotherham? God knows. But I do believe its the only way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by crashbang View Post
    UL today millers.
    I was a bit early for my eye test .
    So popped in for a coffee in shop next to spec savers.
    Excellent. Clean decent prices. Polite.
    Give it a go.
    Is it the Turkish owned one? Been in a couple of times, they do decent breakfasts too. Friendly and polite as you say.
    Fitzwilliam and Hughes across from the Minster is my favourite coffee shop in town though. Nice chilled out environment with the Minster as a backdrop.

Gkotw, your post is very interesting indeed and makes good sense. I didn't know, or think about, any of this before but it looks like the shape of things to come for the town centre and may be the best thing that could happen.

£5.60 return rotherham to donny..buy just about anything..top chippys great market , pubs galore..its a fiver one way to rotherham from kimmy..for what ? An haircut maybe ?

Quote Originally Posted by millavanilla View Post
    £5.60 return rotherham to donny..buy just about anything..top chippys great market , pubs galore..its a fiver one way to rotherham from kimmy..for what ? An haircut maybe ?
    It's free with a bus pass milla although come November when Royal Bank of Scotland on High St closes I won't be going into town apart from match days.

Not certain but the cafe crash is talking about used to be owned by a Polish couple....Polish / Turkish either way it's a decent cafe, clean, reasonable prices and the couple what run it are polite and welcoming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast