+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Who's next...

Who's next...

just for fun, of course...

Lasley would no doubt be considered but throwing a rookie into this situation would surely be mental.

Craigan should stay where he is.

Would Valakari be interested again? He's done solidly enough with Tromso (and even plays 3-5-2 apparently, though I dunno if that's a plus atm!) to add to his previous good work in Finland. He was linked in the media with the Rosenborg job and HJK Helsinki so bigger fish clearly think he's still on the right track. If nothing else, being in Motherwell over winter must be a better option if he has any interest in seeing the sun before April.

Owen Coyle is surely in the last chance saloon looking for a new job, Ian Cathro might want another try (file under risk, massive), John Hughes has been solid at Raith and - though he really annoys me - has been solid enough at our level.

A quiet night?

A couple of wins over St Mirren and Dundee will end the discussion...I hope.

I think it'll be Lasley, rightly or wrongly, when the time comes.

Craigan would be a better option imo given his youth team manager experience but that would still be a gamble. I would certainly favour that particular shot in the dark ahead of Lasley though.

As for Valakari...this falls into the "Luc Nijholt is only a phonecall away" category. Just what has he done manager wise to suggest he's the right man?? Apart from a playing connection with the club?

Whoever gets the job will be a risk, but we need to stack the odds in our favour in terms of getting the right person for the job with the right credentials.

Got a minor team promoted, won the cup, won the league, helped the national team, done well enough in his next position to attract attention from the biggest club - a European group stage regular - in the country. We may think an outsider is too big a risk - again - but to suggest Valakari's CV wouldn't be of interest to a club of our size is just daft.

That would take us to a barely par tally of 11 points from 11 games with the hard half of fixtures round the corner...and there's nothing to suggest we will.

Quote Originally Posted by jwok View Post
    A quiet night?

A couple of wins over St Mirren and Dundee will end the discussion...I hope.
    That would be short sighted. The signings have been awful,the tactics juvenile and the performances woeful. The team on the pitch is rudderless. Time for change before it is too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    Got a minor team promoted, won the cup, won the league, helped the national team, done well enough in his next position to attract attention from the biggest club - a European group stage regular - in the country. We may think an outsider is too big a risk - again - but to suggest Valakari's CV wouldn't be of interest to a club of our size is just daft.
    In Finnish football where the standards are even lower than Scottish football?

Had Valakari not played for us nearly 20 years ago then I'd wager he would be nowhere near anyone's wishlist for manager.

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post
    In Finnish football where the standards are even lower than Scottish football?

Had Valakari not played for us nearly 20 years ago then I'd wager he would be nowhere near anyone's wishlist for manager.
    He can only coach the players he has and the fact is he massively overachieved with a small club. He's then gone to Norwegian football - which isn't far off our standard - and done well there too.

No doubt the link helps fan the interest (on both sides) but that's always the way of things in football.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)