+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Apologies for any inappropriate language you may have picked up..."

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton_Pie View Post
    Going to be an unpopular opinion but I agree with Sky apologising for swearing.

Football is a sport for everyone, including young children and no reasonable parent would be happy with them hearing swearing whilst watching a football match.

Why do they have to swear? Make em 'Ard?
    What a sterile world we live in.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton_Pie View Post
    Going to be an unpopular opinion but I agree with Sky apologising for swearing.

Football is a sport for everyone, including young children and no reasonable parent would be happy with them hearing swearing whilst watching a football match.

Why do they have to swear? Make em 'Ard?
    I know where you're coming from, but let's be honest with ourselves, as soon as your kids get old enough to talk and go to school, it's only a matter of time before they hear similar language in the school yard and out and about in the community. In an ideal world nobody would ever swear, but the perfect world doesn't exist, and in may ways you need to be in touch with the real world, with all its faults, in order to grow up and function in society.

Plus, kids are born with a sense of adventure and love any sort of naughtiness. They are programmed to misbehave to a certain degree to test boundaries and develop their own personality. I bet there are very few people who at some point in their childhood won't have found it very amusing to look up 'naughty' words in the dictionary!

In fact, I've always wondered whether we encourage profanity by reacting to it. People often use it to exclaim or express strong emotions, and they do so because they've learned from a young age that certain words have the capacity to shock or get a reaction. If nobody ever attributed such values to these words, I suspect they would eventually get used no more frequently than any other.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    Agree with jackal with regards to the swearing, I don't like it when people try to stop fans swearing at football. This is how it is and always has been, it's not hurting anyone, only people who love to be offended by any little thing thesedays. If you don't like people effing and jeffing then either go in the family stand or don't go.
    I must admit crazy , I never swore once whilst watching Notts at Bury .

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post

Only because you were rendered speechless!

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Only because you were rendered speechless!
    I never swear in front of my son. Well maybe I do but pleaeeeeeeeeeeeeeee don't his mum

Nothing wrong with a bit of swearing, especially at a football match. It's all part of the theatre. I'm not particularly keen on swearing at people, or any such overly aggressive behaviour, mind.

Anyway, this subject reminds me of one of the funniest and most apt moments of my time supporting Notts. I think it was during that pre-Munto era when we were just awful. We were losing at home, with the crowd was pretty much silent, and then someone in the Kop shouted "Oh this is ****ing shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!" It wasn't even in relation to anything on the pitch, as nothing had happened of any note. It was like a primal scream prompted by the unbearable ****ness of watching Notts. Something I think we could all relate to then and now.

Totally agree with Jackal’s OP. These apologies by TV commentators have been irritating me for some time. Usually when they say “apologies if you heard inappropriate language”, I haven’t heard, or perhaps just didn’t notice, whatever it was they were referring to. The effect of the apology is simply to draw attention to the swearing - and I don’t think that’s the TV company’s intention.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I know where you're coming from, but let's be honest with ourselves, as soon as your kids get old enough to talk and go to school, it's only a matter of time before they hear similar language in the school yard and out and about in the community. In an ideal world nobody would ever swear, but the perfect world doesn't exist, and in may ways you need to be in touch with the real world, with all its faults, in order to grow up and function in society.

Plus, kids are born with a sense of adventure and love any sort of naughtiness. They are programmed to misbehave to a certain degree to test boundaries and develop their own personality. I bet there are very few people who at some point in their childhood won't have found it very amusing to look up 'naughty' words in the dictionary!

In fact, I've always wondered whether we encourage profanity by reacting to it. People often use it to exclaim or express strong emotions, and they do so because they've learned from a young age that certain words have the capacity to shock or get a reaction. If nobody ever attributed such values to these words, I suspect they would eventually get used no more frequently than any other.
    Cultural I'd say. I live in the Cayman Islands, and the kids are disgusted if someone uses bad language out here...

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    You did really well then after that performance mate ha ha. Last time I saw us at Bury was when Hans Backe was in charge and we drew three all.

They would love the guy at the back of the Pavis near to where Stallard sits, he is always bellowing at the top of his voice
    OUT, OUT, BRING THEM F------OUT.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast