+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Apologies for any inappropriate language you may have picked up..."

"Apologies for any inappropriate language you may have picked up..."

Is anyone else getting tired of hearing football commentators (especially on Sky Sports, it seems) constantly feeling the need to apologise if the pitch-side microphones pick up any profanity from the crowd or the bench. Every game now seems to feature at least a couple of "Apologies for any inappropriate language you may have picked up".

First of all, it's not inappropriate. Swearing is part and parcel of the football industry, on the pitch and on the terraces, and if it bothers you that much you're probably best advised not to go to a match or watch one on TV.

Secondly, if the TV companies are going to insist on apologising every time a swear word is picked up, it will become far more irritating than the "offence" itself.

I suppose it's all part of the modern risk averse culture of covering yourself against every potential complaint or eventuality. Perhaps we should just get used to the fact that the world and the people in it aren't faultless, and there are far more important things to get worried or offended by than a bit of swearing. Sheesh!

I was just thinking exactly the same thing. You must be watching the Everton game. It's pathetic and childish. Good thing they don't show Notts the commentary could just be apologies on repeat.

Very true. I find it funnier when you watching a really dour game and the crowd is silent. Then you can hear the players swearing their heads off. Get out of that one Mr commentator lol

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmagpie View Post
    I was just thinking exactly the same thing. You must be watching the Everton game.
    Yes you're right, I am.

If the TV companies were serious about our sensibilities, and not just taking the piss when they apologise, then they could just move their microscopes back a bit, we don't NEED to hear every spoken word from the crowd or the players.

Then again, would it be possible to have some local oik on hand to clarify some of the more muffled and obscene chants? Subtitles too would help as we could then join in.

It's only this season it has become more noticeable.Have they put more or better mics in the stadiums?

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Is anyone else getting tired of hearing football commentators (especially on Sky Sports, it seems) constantly feeling the need to apologise if the pitch-side microphones pick up any profanity from the crowd or the bench. Every game now seems to feature at least a couple of "Apologies for any inappropriate language you may have picked up".

First of all, it's not inappropriate. Swearing is part and parcel of the football industry, on the pitch and on the terraces, and if it bothers you that much you're probably best advised not to go to a match or watch one on TV.

Secondly, if the TV companies are going to insist on apologising every time a swear word is picked up, it will become far more irritating than the "offence" itself.

I suppose it's all part of the modern risk averse culture of covering yourself against every potential complaint or eventuality. Perhaps we should just get used to the fact that the world and the people in it aren't faultless, and there are far more important things to get worried or offended by than a bit of swearing. Sheesh!
    Spot on mate . Lucky it wasn't an homophobic or ***ist remark at Goodison Park . Some old dear been mugged in Toxteth would have to wait whilst Merseyside Police poured all their resources into the real crime.

Agree with jackal with regards to the swearing, I don't like it when people try to stop fans swearing at football. This is how it is and always has been, it's not hurting anyone, only people who love to be offended by any little thing thesedays. If you don't like people effing and jeffing then either go in the family stand or don't go.

I can remember the days when entire away ends could be heard clear as day chanting "You're gonna get your f****** heads kicked in" on a Sunday afternoon, they wouldn't even bother to edit it out of the highlights.

Going to be an unpopular opinion but I agree with Sky apologising for swearing.

Football is a sport for everyone, including young children and no reasonable parent would be happy with them hearing swearing whilst watching a football match.

Why do they have to swear? Make em 'Ard?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast