+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: United 1 Stoke 1 - report

United 1 Stoke 1 - report

The Blades had to settle for a point despite dominating much of the game against expensively assembled Stoke City. United had completely outplayed Stoke for most of the game and finally got the goal their domination merited when Leon Clarke bundled home after a superb Oliver Norwood free kick struck the post. However, a free kick at the other end from Joe Allen deceived Dean Henderson to give the visitors a point. It really was a disappointing finish for the home side who really should have been out of sight long before the late Stoke goal.

Wilder made one change to the starting eleven with Leon Clarke getting a start for Billy Sharp and last seasons leading scorer captained the side. Stoke had a starting eleven and bench that has cost an absolute fortune and many players with Premier League experience but came into the side nearer the bottom than the top.

United came out of the traps quicker than they did on Saturday and despite Stoke kicking off, the home side had the first chance within two minutes as Freeman fired over from an O’Connell cross. United dominated the ball early on with Norwood at the heart of the play and Duffy looking busy. Stevens and Freeman were constant threats on both sides of the attack. Fleck had an effort deflected over after good work in the build up saw the ball come across. The best chance came when Norwood played in Duffy who cleverly rolled the ball back but Stevens blazed wildly over with his left foot. He was in a position to the right of the penalty area showing again United’s attacking intent.

Clarke was looking hungry and wrestled off Williams before firing a shot that Butland did well to get down and save low. Stoke had not really threatened but Afobe had one header at Henderson that was comfortable. United were back on the attack and a deep cross from the left from Fleck saw McGoldrick’s header palmed away from close range from Butland.

Another neat move saw several players involved in lovely interchange but Clarke could not finish although he may have been offside if he had scored. McGoldrick then came inside and took a low shot that Butland had to push behind at his neat post just before the break.

United came out the better side and seemed to push Stoke back even more. McGoldrick miskicked when well placed. McClean had a headed effort over from a deep cross but it was all United at this stage. They won a number of corners and free kicks but the delivery did not quite come off. A free kick saw O’Connell try and flick the ball goalward and then a deep corner was cleared soon after a ricochet. Stoke were now hanging on and put Crouch on in an attempt to find an out ball. Clarke and McGoldrick continued to turn the defence around and Stoke were happy at this stage with a 0-0 but the clear chances evaded United until the 70th minute when Clarke was upended leading to a booking from Martins Indi. The free kick was around 25 yards out and fairly central.

Norwood took it and hit a curling effort that looked for all the world like it would nestle into the corner of the net but it struck the post and came out; Egan could not force the initial rebound in but CLARKE was onto it and bundled it home. It was his first goal of the season and a deserved one for his efforts tonight.

After this strangely United started to panic and a number of hacked clearances saw them back under pressure. Ince danced his way through but Henderson saved well. Stoke won a free kick but Ince hit the wall and United now were struggling to keep the ball and were now rather panicky in their play after completely controlling the game up to this point.

Washington and Stearman came on for Duffy and McGoldrick for United but a free kick when Crouch fell under a challenge from Stevens as the home side gave away another cheap free kick.

ALLEN took it and at first you felt he would knock it toward the back post but went for goal and bent it round the wall. It was accurate but seemed to lack power but Henderson could not get across and the ball sneaked into the net to the agony of most inside Bramall Lane. It seemed a keeping error and was really disappointing for United who had done more than enough to win the game. It seemed Stoke had got an unlikely point. Coutts came on for Freeman after the goal as the game entered the last few minutes.

After this both teams tried to create a final change to win it with the long ball up to Crouch seeing a few knocks downs eventually cleared and then Fleck got in and had a shot blocked at the other end with some appeals for hand ball; in the final four minutes of stoppage time with the final action Stevens being booked for bringing down McClean.

United – Frustrating. Really good performance for the most part and we should have won easily. We played really well for 70 minutes. We dominated Stoke and had all the ball. We had chances and should have had more than one goal. Not sure we created enough chances for a team that had so much of the ball but had 22 attempts to 10 and 56% possession but only had 6 shots on target to their 4. We needed to create clearer chances and for all the lovely stuff it was still frustrating that we did not make that final ball to lead to clearer chances.

First half Stevens missed a good chance and then McGoldrick had two efforts saved but ones you would expect the keeper to save. After the break the same man miskicked and we had a few other half chances. I am not sure that Butland made any stunning saves all night and at times we were really poor in our decision making with the final ball yet again. We play some lovely stuff right up to that last third but then seem to stutter or take too long to make decisions. I thought Clarke and McGoldrick gave the Stoke defence a torrid time all game and the midfield dominated though and we really for weight of possession and pressure, should have been well out of sight. It took us 70 minutes to get one goal but then after this we panicked. It was bizarre as they were never in it and never threatened us once.

We started hoofing it away, we sliced it and were really lacking composure. They started to come at us and Henderson made a save from Ince, they started to knock balls into Crouch and won a number of free kicks. We never had proper control of the game after we scored and for some reason it was complete panic mode.

This is after a game we had in control. If we had carried on keeping the ball and playing as we had, we would have gone on and won but started to sit back; we lost the ball and stopped pressing. The subs once again did not help at all. Basham was in an odd position, Washington did not help us keep the ball and you sensed a chance would come. I thought we had seen it out but a daft foul (soft but can see why he gave it) and Henderson made a mistake with his wall and should have saved it. It was a poor mistake Like Saturday all this domination and stat domination in passing, big chances count for nothing if we do not put the ball in the net and keep it out the other end. We saw this last season when we dominated so many teams but when it mattered in the key areas; did not do enough. It us frustrating as some of the football and play is a delight to watch. Many say if we keep this performance up we will win more games than we lose but you worry as last season we did this in so many games (Bristol, Villa, Cardiff at home) and the pattern has continued again this season. I am not seeing that this will change sadly. Hope I am wrong but today was another casing point as we do not see teams off and put them away when they are wounded. I felt we put so much into the game that we looked leggy for the last stages of the game against a relatively old Stoke side too.

Still for all the disappointment, I have to say we were very good for long periods and considering the wage bills and the players they have; we showed we are a much more confident side and were the only team trying to win until the closing stages. It is just really annoying that we should have had at least 4 more points from the last two games in games where we played well for 45 mins Saturday and then 70 mins tonight but only have 1 point to show as we don’t do enough to see teams off. Still it is enjoyable to watch despite the late heartache and we have to keep a sense of perspective.

Stoke – Thought they were really poor until the last bit when with nothing to lose they chucked men forward and got long balls up to Crouch, Ince got on the ball and they won a few free kicks. They deserved nothing from the game at all and were second best most of the night but will say they kept in the game and only kept it to 1-0 and then scored a clever free kick. Another night they go home losing 3-0; so poor they were and dominated they were for much off the game. They never even tried to attack for the most part and for such an expensively assembled side that is packed full of quality; it was a startling approach. Maybe they lack confidence but good players were not even trying to go forward. They looked so lacking in possession and just seemed to be hanging on for a draw. The long punt up to Crouch was their best option. Such a shame when they have talent like Ince, Afobe, Maclean, Allen, Woods etc. On that approach and performance regardless of the point they somehow got, Rowett will not be staying there for very long as they surely need to try and win games?

Opponent man of the match – Crouch won a few free kicks and I felt Woods showed some neat bits and pieces but also gave it away a bit too and you wonder how much Norwood should be worth if he went for 6 million. Allen kept plugging away and showed some good skill at times and of course scored the ***** leveller. They had a lot of poor players on display though who surely should do much better but Allen was maybe the stand out.

Weak link – A number of ineffective players. Afobe looked overweight and Berahino was awful. I felt Maclean ran around a lot but did not do much and Ince only came to life at 1-0. The two centre backs struggled all game and Williams especially looks a player that is about done. Completely lost his pace and Clarke and McGoldrick caused them all sorts of problems with running and hold up play.

Henderson 5.5/10 – Bad mistake for the goal. He has not put enough men in the wall and then he was way too slow to get across. It was not even hit with huge power. Not sure how he did not get it and it was a big error that has cost us the three points. He also missed one cross tonight but outside of this he was untroubled. Made one good save from Ince but not much to do other than take a few crosses etc. His first big real error. Hope he can react and recover quickly. Seems a confident lad so not sure it will affect him.

Freeman 7/10 – Back to his best after a dip Saturday. Took so many difficult balls in his stride or on his chest and then got into good areas. He was a constant outlet and despite the difficulty of some of the crossfield balls showed his technique and ability. His final ball was not always the best and too often hit the first man or struggled to get it across. Thought he caused them lots of problems.

Stevens 7/10 – Thought he was really good tonight but loses marks for a bad miss when he skewed the ball over first half and then gave away a stupid free kick near the end which cost us. No need to dive in at all. Just let him win it and get the 2nd ball. Shame as other than his got up and down, showed real energy and was excellent. His crossing was better also tonight. He showed some good skill taking the ball on the run and was always in motion. They did start to overload down that side but not sure that was his fault.

Egan 7/10 – Solid game. He let Afobe get away from him once for skill first half but he headed/cleared and used it when he could. Not put under any real pressure until the final stages but then the whole team started to panic and meant the defence were under more pressure.

O’Connell 7/10 – Good again tonight. Used it well when he could and defended sensibly. Not put under that much pressure but he was able to come onto the ball and attack it. A few times him and Henderson got in a mix up but he at least took responsibility.

Basham 7/10 – Usual array of cavalier runs, nice bits of skill, control and positive attitude in everything he did. A few times things did not come off but he will keep plugging away. Showed no little skill a few times. Once again panicked a bit when in the last third and his final pass/ball never really caused Stoke many problems. This is something he needs to work at as his overall performances are very consistent outside of this.

Fleck 6.5/10 – Might get criticised for this mark but whilst I felt he did some good stuff and some decent runs and passes; he also gave it away a lot and lost his runner a few times. Still he contributed to our ball possession and domination for long spells but he had a number of wild shots nowhere near and then when we led he was guilty of punting it to nowhere in particular. He was the most guilty at the end of panicking instead of just keeping it.

Norwood 8/10 – Thought he was very good and along with our front two our best player. He pinged it about all game and showed his sublime range of passing. He really is a superbly intelligent footballer. He can play passes with inside/outside of foot with no back lift and can switch play so well. His excellent free kick deserved a goal before we put it in. Tried clever things and whilst everything does not come off; he is our main player for me at the moment and ***** to our continued chances of staying at the top. Felt he needed to get on the ball a bit more in the final stages.

Duffy 6.5/10 – He flattered to deceive for me tonight despite some good bits and pieces. He put one superb ball in for Stevens who should have scored but too often things did not come off for me. He took too many touches at times and needed to move it quicker and too many passes were telegraphed. Of course, he gets into good areas and is a real threat but not sure that many came off. He kept working hard and saw more graft than Saturday and was one of our main links in our play but he does tire a lot and I felt after we scored we needed a few like him to step up and help us keep it.

Clarke 8/10 – Much more like it and back to his play of last season. Put a lot of effort in all game and was a constant nuisance. He chased defenders down, showed strength, strong running and never stopped. Deserved his goal and was in the right place. He linked well with McGoldrick and they never had a moments peace in defence.

McGoldrick 7.5/10 – As above really; he showed clever hold up and was able to bring others into play. He came into midfield, showed some delightful touches and was also able to get into little channels. Had a few decent efforts first half but then badly miskicked one second half. I would have left him on actually as he does keep the ball even if he is tired. It was a poor change for me and helped give them further initiative.

Subs –
    Washington – Not sure he even touched the ball again. Worrying that he is the main option. Would Billy have done any worse in the final stages. We needed to hold the ball at that stage and not just have a runner/chaser.

Stearman – Brought on due to concerns they were going to go even longer but not sure he won a header as they were winning the balls via Crouch and getting more of the ball at the top end of the pitch.

Coutts – Odd change right at the end. Not sure what he was going to do to influence things with 4 minutes to play?

Wilder 7.5/10 – The performance was very good. We were at our best for most of the game but did not put the game away and were made to pay. Still we dominated them individually and collectively. Henderson makes the save and we win 1-0 and everyone goes home happy and praising an excellent performance and win. His changes once again did not work and seemed to give them even more initiative. We were not seeing much of the ball but I actually think Coutts may have helped tonight to see us keep it. We ended up with Bash in midfield (he had no idea where he was playing) and Washington up front but it all became a bit disorganised. We needed to get hold of the ball more and taking off Duffy and McGoldrick, two players who can help us at least try and hold it; was not the best move even if they were tired. At this stage we needed to manage things better and not invite pressure on. I felt the changes did not help at all. His subs recently have hindered rather than helped us I feel.

Referee – Fine really. Seen a lot criticising him but not sure much he got wrong. I have watched the free kick on Crouch and is soft but he jumps and Stevens put his arm into him. It was daft and gave him chance to go down. The minute he jumps and the defender lowers his arm/body into him he will fall down and get the foul. Not sure the penalty at the end was one. He was only a few yards from the ball when it hit him. His hands were up but close to his body. They had a similar shout for one early so not sure how he could have given that one right at the end. If that had been given against us (the one at the end) I would have been livid.

He should have penalised Butland for timewasting and seemed to just keep waving him on. Book him early. Refs do not do this though. I felt he let them get away with slow timing all night and then ironically was hurrying us up. He booked Martins Indi for a cynical foul and then Stevens for a chop down on McClean at the end as Stoke broke. He did try and play on when he could but I also thought he was not great at getting free kicks taken from the right place or pushing the men/walls back 10 yards – for both sides. Not sure there were many big decisions he got wrong but at times he should have just got the game going a bit quicker and it became a bit stop start to Stoke’s advantage.

Crowd – For a side right at the top, albeit on a midweek and games on the red button on Sky, 24,000 was still down a bit more than I would have hoped. I also thought it was fairly quiet too and not sure there was much noise until the 2nd half when United piled on the pressure and the noise levels went up from the Kop and eventually got the goal. After this the team panicked a bit and it spread to the terraces.